American Express

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault

Ken Chenault

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

American Express has weak leaders

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat solid company, will probably always be around.

ConsCulture is very negative. Leaders are too busy protecting themselves to develop their people. Most encourage backstabbing as a way to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop some courage. The best managers in this company tend to leave after a few years. They get tired of banging their heads against a wall of mediocrity. Stop playing it safe.

good company to work for

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood work and life balance

Conscompensation is a little lower than competitors

Advice to Senior Managementcatch up pay with competitors

great place to work

Lead Technical Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 8 years

Proslots of great benefits and tons of PTO, AmEx is a great company to work for they truly put their employees first

Conslots of redundancy in positions, yearly layoffs, way too much outsourcing

Advice to Senior Managementstop outsourcing and look at each tower holistically then realign accordingly to increase efficiency.

Was the right job at the right time.

Global Business Travel Reengineering Project Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong company with good benefits. Do not have to take your work home with you.

ConsBase salary range is somewhat lower than market. Lots of competition to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees are not told that anything needs to improve during their annual review, the salary increase should be more than 0.0%.

Great company

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company, great pay and benefits.

ConsNone I can think of, best place I ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Top workplace in the valley

Director Technologies (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest workplace, culture and opportunities

ConsMore locations in the country

Don't work here

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompensation is comparable to the industry.

ConsIf you look at the organizational chart you will see that Indian VPs have Indian employees. You will see that Chinese have Chinese employees. If you are not Indian you may have to ask one of your Indian friends to ask an Indian team to do something. If you ask the team directly they may not reply. Some teams are great; some won't do anything unless you are Indian. It's disheartening, if you were born in the U.S. or came at an early age you won't be prepared for the tribalism.

Be leery of the top ten places to work rankings. Notice that it is very often based on diversity. You have race based, gender based, country of origin based organizations in AMEX and even things like women's leadership book clubs. You will receive notifications from VPs saying they want to promote more women.

Pay attention to all the comments about re-orgs. At least one a year. At first they got rid of the under-performing employees. Now it is anybody.

Some teams have bottom up initiatives. You create your own opportunity. At the end of the year you get evaluated on your work. Others, though, are run by the whims of the leadership. You will chase bad idea after bad idea. Leadership will squash anything that is not originally theirs. You will become inefficient by templates, formats, MIS requirements, changing priorities, and unresponsive capabilities teams. You will spend five minutes of analysis and five days on putting together a presentation. Then months will be spent on low or negative valued alterations Driving implementation is not a priority for these types of teams. No prioritization or consideration of opportunity costs. At the end of the year you get evaluated on how lucky a guess the leadership made.

If the job requires a Ph.D. and you get a rigorous technical interview don't assume that the work is engaging. You may very well find that the most engaging thing you do is addition. It can be a real bait and switch.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the professionals you hire to do their job. Value their time and it will be valuable. Don't hire Ph.Ds to do the work of undergrads. Doesn't anyone find the organizational chart suspicious?

Takes It too Personal, no work/Life balance

Customer Service Representative ! (Former Employee)

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood income, room for growth

Consmass layoffs, job displacements. operated more like a bad high school where you were rated on who you know and not your actual Job experience. once you are laid off, terminated, displaced there vis no rehire . you are placed on blacklist as they like fresh faces
given number based on overall ratings. higher number better chance for good hours. stuck with hours given ( not good if you have families or infants to care for)

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure your team leaders are delivering their warnings on a courteouds and fair level . make sure yje employee honestly earned that warning or level 1, 2 or 3. Make sure they are delivered properly. one at a time so employee has chance to correct whatever behaviour you feel the employee needs to correct, not all at once then kicking them out door with little explanation.

some of your team leaders base decisions on how/if they like you not on your performance, an unfair practice. a few need to be weeded out and replaced with fresh managers/team leaders not going through firing because of dislikes/personal jealousy. Call center in phx az this means you

Great pay, great for the resume, bad experience

Technical Analyst Intern (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent pay for an internship
Great company to have on your resume

ConsSat around without anything to do despite reaching out to over 20 people offering to assist on any project or work.
Very little to no hands on work. This was very important to me in my internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine intern roles, task, and responsibilities more.

Great company with lots of opportunities for different positions

Professional (Multiple Positions) (Former Employee)

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey have good benefits, comparable pay, many opportunities for training. It is a big company with opportunity to move into different positions, very good culture. Pockets a really good leadership.

ConsIt seems like they conduct layoffs every couple years. This causes alot of stress even if you don't get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing except try to manage the business well in the good times, so that you can avoid having to do layoffs when the economy is not as strong.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Express CEO Ken Chenault. All 225 reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees.