American Express Reviews

credit

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

Pros

good pay, good bonuses when they don't take them away due to vocm (customer surveys)

Cons

policies are ridiculous, favorites are chosen for promotions- not based on skill, constantly being threatened with your job, majority of dept always on counseling for some reason, management does not back up the employees

Keep your good, reliable, talented employees, stop sending everything to India- causes bad moral, especially when you get blamed for their actions on the vocm (customer surveys), benefits are terrible now! We have endured multiple layoffs while the CEO collects his 13+ million in bonuses as well as his pay... he should be ashamed!

2. Fantastic company to work with.

Current Contractor - Lead IT Risk Security Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Contractor - Lead IT Risk Security Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good corporate culture of somewhat all inclusiveness.

Cons

Needs to review the hiring process in critical business units

Good but wish it was better

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Very work/life balance friendly.
    Lots of PTO and sick hours
    Very diverse culture
    Great pride to work here amongst employees
    Co-workers are awesome

Cons

You have to know somebody to get promoted. Manager's already tend to have someone in mind when posting for a position, and post a job only because they are "required" to give everyone an opportunity to apply.
    So unless you are a VP or Director's favorite, forget it. You will stay in the same role forever.
    You can get replaced very easily. Management always has someone next in line to replace you, should they push you out or you are pressured to resign.
    Restructuring and layoffs happen quite frequently.

Focus on hiring from within before seeking external candidates. Give everyone a real chance to move up without already having someone in mind. There are lots of talented people who end up jumping ship and leaving to other financial institutions because they are tired of doing the same thing for years.

5. Excellent opportunity to advance and grow

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amex does a great job of allowing employees to learn new skills which allow employees to advance throughout the organization.

Cons

The atmosphere can be competitive and stressful at times.

Kinda going downhill

Current Employee - Finance in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Finance in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Amex in Phoenix for over 6 years and things seem to be going downhill. Positives have included high loyalty of employees to the company, strong financial performance, variety of job openings (however usually lateral positions). Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long.

Cons

The company constantly reorganizes and has no problem giving employees pink slips. It is not uncommon to see your position eliminated once every 2 to 3 years. Shareholders come first, then customers, and employees are dead last. Phoenix office has recently converted to BlueWork--cubicles have been removed and now everyone sits at open tables that need to be reserved everyday. Everyone complains about the environment, it can be extremely noisy and disruptive. Many jobs have been outsourced to India, and more and more people from India are being imported to work in Phoenix; displacing employees who are US citizens. It is not uncommon for calls and conversations to be in Hindi, where I've had to remind people that not everyone is from India so meetings need to be conducted in English.

New open office space is disruptive and we are starting to see many long time employees leave. Bring back jobs to the US and hire more US citizens. Be more competitive with our competition as they seem to be improving their products and offer enticing alternatives to our products.

The BS outnumbers the selling

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great brand name, compensation is decent for the position, large opportunity for growth

Cons

Office culture is awful. Bogus HR reports, endless politics, passive-agressive leadership, affirmative action hiring up the wazoo. Selling takes a back seat to daily webinars and meetings which don't help your sales.

Cut the endless meetings and sucking up. Get your managers to help their reps and drive up sales. Eliminate PC culture.

Great company for contractors

Former Contractor - Lead Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Lead Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, opportunity to come on as an FTE, longevity for contracts, great work/life balance

Cons

Lots of red tape, contractors are treated as non people

look at the people around you as more than just people doing work.

Good intentions caught up in red tape

Current Employee - Account Protection Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Protection Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

American Express definitely isn't afraid of offering the compensation that an employee is worth, and recognizing strong performers on a regular basis. Management seems legitimately interested in keeping up moral with frequent events and projects. The environment is constantly changing and evolving, which keeps things fresh and interesting if you're flexible enough to learn a new job every few months.

Cons

Adherence to policy and procedure comes with no exceptions. If you try to make an argument that you've got a better way to do something or need to step out of procedure and have reasoning to back it up, you either never hear back, are instantly rejected or it takes so long that the issue becomes irrelevant. My personal record is asking my boss for permission to talk to another department, whom I asked for permission to talk to the department above them. Once I made it to the top, they reviewed my request and gave permission for the lower department to give permission to my boss to give me permission to actually do my job. If that sounds incredibly confusing and frustrating, it is.

Empower your lower and middle management employees. If there is a situation happening that needs a snap decision, being told that we have to wait for someone on the east coast to come in to work on Monday isn't good enough for me, for the customer or for the company.

10. Decent place but management needs improvement.

Former Employee - SAS Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - SAS Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Contract extension was good for a long time. They will keep you if you are good at your job.

Cons

Low rates and never improve even after years of service. Lot of politics, no direction to management. Constantly in reactive mode in terms of technology without any planning.

Planning Planning Planning and sticking to larger plan without changing directions every month. Listen to technical experts when making technical decisions.

Pockets of excellence exist - great leaders, great work - life balance

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance is great; benefits are getting worse every year; leadership - 50/50, if you are lucky you can score with a good leader, otherwise you will be miserable for about 2 years until you are eligible to apply for a new role; the majority of the population is trying to "survive", i.e. moving laterally every two years;

Cons

there is no way you can complain from a leader; at Amex "bad" leaders are coached, not let go;