American Express

3.6 1,761 reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault

Ken Chenault

(1,304 ratings)

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance and they are very invested in their employees(in 398 reviews)

• Home Based Servicing has a bit more flexibility given that it is a work from home position(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception(in 68 reviews)

• decision making processes and promotion of less qualified individuals(in 42 reviews)

1,761 Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe CEO is a great guy and very inspirational. The people are bright, sophisticated and nice. Good atmosphere and diverse culture.

ConsFrequent restructuring and management shuffles. Not a lot of loyalty to people who have been there a long time.

Home based trainer

Trainer (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGreat benefits. A diverse company.

ConsConstantly changing hours. Have to be flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees more.

team leader business travel

Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are great==The ability to purchase vacation time and add to the PTO is wonderful. The customers are enjoyable and is nice to work with a company that puts customers first.

ConsThe ability to advance to other positions-the fact that the travel industry is ever changing. Making change management a daily task.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AMEX

Director - Risk Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossalary, culture, leaders, and lots of opportunities to move around and learn

Constechnology, health benefits, lack of training and mentoring

Great place to cultivate skills.

ProsAmerican Express will, on average, provide a workplace which is capable of teaching the critical skill required to succeed in the business world. Employee's who spend time here will generally come out capable of exceeding the expectations of other business, especially less mature organizations.

ConsAmEx is a very large company and can feel segregated at times. If you are looking to move from one discipline to another it can be a bit of a challenge.

Great culture, work/life balance, perks, environment, corporate training

Digital Commerce Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love working at American Express as I feel like I am doing real work, making an impact, receiving corporate training, have a work/life balance, and am overall just enjoying my experience.

ConsThere isn't much I don't like about what I do for American Express. We get a lot of free food, but it would be great if there was even more free food.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't have much advice to upper level management other than to keep doing what they're doing.

Tons of opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork life balance and advancement opportunities are excellent and the network of people you will meet and work with are invaluable.

ConsThe company is so large it is hard to learn all of the opportunities that are available to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership priorities and goals are on the right track.

Great Company

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat People and Benefits. Ability to promote within.

ConsReview process like a bell curve, creates too much competitiveness in employees as they know there is only one or 2 people that can obtain an excellent rating per team each year. This creates people to step on toes, not just be the best that they can be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be quick to pigeon hole employees and judge because they are different. Diversity is key and the differences in people create great teams. Also change review process. There are other ways of rating someone's performance as the leadership side is very subjective.

Smart, great, professional people going through tremendous change

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAmex tries to do all the right things as best a large company can. Compensates well, trains great leaders and rewards top performers. It's a great company to work for.

ConsA changing and highly competitive market place and challenge in acting in concert with focus on the the top priorities has lead to recurring downsizings. Things are moving quickly and are not for the comfortable or the faint of heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscipline spending by avoidance rather than aggressive headcount targets.... and loosen job posting guidelines to allow easier movement of resources to align with top priorities.

Wonderful company just make sure you are in the right division

Senior Manager - Business Development (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCulture, support, intelligence of the people. It's like going to a top-tier college. You can feel the passion.

ConsLow-Base, Travel division dying on the vine with sub-standard technology. Get more involved with Concur. Basically you should be selling Concur as Concur. They wont let you switch divisions because they are afraid of how it reflects on their employee review score. Benefits are horrendous. Horrendous.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about the layers of management and take ownership of your territory like its your franchise with your own P and L. Management by fear is the dodo bird. Stop obsessing over your employee review score and close business. I think Kenny would be happier about revenue.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!