American Express

2,018 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,469 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long (in 455 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 77 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work if you can avoid being outsourced

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express

Pros

American Express offers competitive salary, office perks such as cafeteria, doctor office, and gym and a great work environment with growth opportunities. They're still innovative and growing.

Cons

While the benefits are decent, they are substandard compared to some of their competitors. No paid holidays in their industry is absurd. Expect to participate in the PTO buy back program to have a decent PTO balance. The health insurance is also strange where you have to contribute to an FSA. Depending on where you work expect constant fear and worry over being outsourced. Managers seem to be in constant meetings as well.

To attract the top in your industry, you're going to have to compete better with your competitors' benefits. How about starting with paid holidays? Too many meetings with managers, needs to be reduced.

Great Company

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Corporate environment, stability, lots of opportunities to move around, work from home options, passionate people, good campus environments (two Phoenix locations), passion for technology and improving lifestyles

Cons

Training on corporate policies and department functions, takes a really long time to get projects on boarded and completed, development environment is limited for security reasons (lots or red tape)

Senior Account Representative

I worked at American Express

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Advancement is high. Great career plan for a college graduate

Cons

Site closed down in area. Strict on taking longer lunches when you are using your time.

Good brand, good people, unclear vision/strategy, poor leadership

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

American Express is a great brand that treats its customers very well. I learned a lot about all the factors to be considered when launching a new customer experience or product. I was happy with my pay even though some people complained about it not being competitive to the New York market rate. Obviously it's not competitive if you're comparing it to investment banking, but I thought it was very competitive to market rate. Work life balance was great and there was a high degree of ownership. The company also encourages you to move around and explore other areas of the business, so it's a great way to explore other interests (e.g. if you're in finance and want to move into digital product management, if you're in New York and want to explore a career overseas). There are also lots of interest groups and activities that the company promotes to encourage personal and professional growth.

Cons

I found that people were often too nice and would avoid confrontation at all costs. The result is that sometimes the culture feels passive aggressive and people spend a lot of time trying to build consensus vs. working on the actual project. Since it's a heavily regulated industry, things move quite slow and they're late to adopt new technologies. Once you get to a certain level, it's nearly impossible to get promoted because there are so few positions open at the VP level, especially if you're outside of New York. Organizational changes are common; during my tenure there, I've seen entire teams being restructured when they thought they had just started on an initiative that leadership cared about. The whole time I was there, I felt that there was very little clarity about the vision and the strategy, how my work was contributing to the overall business goals and objectives beyond the immediate customer impact of my work, and I felt that people promoted to leadership positions were not necessarily great leaders (which is common in other companies too, I'm sure).

Create another career path for those who are great at what they do but are not necessarily great leaders. Take care of your employees the way you would take care of your customers.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Progressive culture
    Competent and professional employees

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited and compensation is low as compared to similar position at competing employers. It has become very bureaucratic since it became a bank holding company.

Since 2008 there has been a gradual erosion of softer aspects that contributed to positive environment at American Express. Bring them back as.

Great organization

Current Employee - Client Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Great culture, work-life balance, amazing people

Cons

Red tape, politics, slow decision-making process

Be more in touch with your people

Great Company! Bad timing for Merchant services

Current Employee - Manager of Business Development in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager of Business Development in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best people to work with, so much passion within out teams. Love my director and upper management as well. If you work hard the pay is fantastic. Company car is the best!

Cons

It looks like merchant services is going away, due to Opt Blue and managed accounts we no longer have the opportunities we once had. Most of us are looking to move to either another position within the company or an outside company. It will be difficult to find such a wonderful company to work for.

Share more info on what is really happening and where our careers are going within GMS.

Great marketing company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most groups are embracing working from home.

Cons

Difficult to move across internal organizations.

Some great perks, but job security, and day to day aren't one of them

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay and bonuses, Flexible hours, school reimbursement

Cons

Lay offs are common, upward mobility is stagnant

Get leadership who doesn't work out of those positions.

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for training and movement within the company. I was encouraged to take many training courses which I liked as a person motivated by learning. I got the chance to do lots of work with very smart people. The on-site amenities were good which helped with work life balance.

Cons

Large organizations can be very thick with bureaucracy and sometimes I felt that way at Amex. Also some groups felt very risk-averse, which I struggled with.