American Express Reviews

2,260 Reviews
American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,592 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long (in 455 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 77 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

1. Great people, average work environment, laid back culture

Former Intern - PAYMENTS in New York, NY
    Former Intern - PAYMENTS in New York, NY

I worked at American Express as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very easy going and gets along well with each other. There are some reputable names in leadership, coming from consulting or strong industry backgrounds.

Cons

I was not a fan of the culture. It seems very laid back. On top of that, the company seems very network heavy. It seems difficult to move around to other areas or get promoted unless you have good rapport with a lot of people.

I think the company is being run fine, it's just not for me.

2. Experience can vary depending on department

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, you can find jobs with a good work-life balance, fairly easy for most people to change jobs every few years so it doesn't get monotonous. I like the culture for the most part, some great managers and some mediocre ones. A lot of ambitious and smart employees to work with.

Cons

Stack ranking system is awful...someone HAS to get the low rating, and very few can get the best rating. Creates a sense of competition rather than cooperation. In one department I worked in, job descriptions often changed frequently and you were expected to have skills different from the ones you were hired for, which was frustrating. Reorganization is very frequent. Can be hard to advance if you're not lucky...they keep sending jobs offshore rather than filling them here. Any tech project you work on, you have to work with folks in India and the time difference and communication barrier can make it challenging. In some departments, you are constantly fighting fires because they don't have the budget to be more proactive.

Stop sending jobs offshore. Yes, it looks like it saves money in salaries, but we lose quality and efficiency.

3. Great people, supportive work environment!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people who are great to work with, some great inspiring directors and leaders (some, but not all unfortunately). Great work/life balance.

Cons

Salary is low compared to other fin services companies in the industry.

In many cases, need stronger directors who are can develop their teams. Also need better pay and less repetitive and confusing re-orgs,.

5. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager, Business Development
    Current Employee - Manager, Business Development

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is probably the best company I have ever worked for. They give a generous salary, great benefits, a lot of vacation time, and I never encountered an employee who wasn't willing to help if needed. They respect their employees, and even though it is a huge company, it doesn't feel that way.

Cons

They often re-organize and down size their work force, which can lead to stress when you know their financials are down.

No advice, they do a really good job. I would recommend this company to anyone.

6. Great place to become a well-rounded marketer

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great marketing organization where you can learn about many aspects of marketing, brand building, project management, etc. Strong leadership overall, and you work with very smart people.

Cons

Gaining buy-in broadly is important. It has value, but can slow timing to get to market. Very political at senior levels of management.

7. Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Work Life Balance
    Team Effort
    Telecommuting Available for most
    Training Library
    Opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Some people don't prefer telecommuting, but for most of us, it is wonderful! A quiet location in home is a must, however, as dogs barking and children crying can be heard when speaking to clients and peers.

I haven't been there as long as most, as most people enjoy it and do not leave. Even those who have left typically return, so there must not be much to improve upon.

8. Great wages and breadth of work opportunity, but includes common large Co. bureaucracy issues.

Current Employee - Lead Technical Architect
    Current Employee - Lead Technical Architect

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great wages and breadth of work opportunity for experienced IT professionals. My group is great for work-time flexibility. Good benefits package. More often than not, direct management will provide goals to experienced and motivated individuals, and allow space to succeed.

Cons

Typical large company bureaucracy issues and Sr. Management positioning. Probably is less of an issue than some large companies though. Work-life balance can tend to be a bit of a challenge in salaried positions. Reorgs have become multiple times a year recently.

Get a longer view. Or a clearer view. Multiple course changes (reorgs) in the last 2 years causes difficulties with morale and productivity.

9. Excellent company to work

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Work culture, people, value, fun

Cons

there are no cons for me

Iconic service brand with clear focus on work/life balance for its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance - ability to work from home 2-3 days per week is a broadly applied policy across many departments (Blue Work). No issues leaving the office early for a doctor's appointment or other personal matter.
    Supportive culture - people care about you as an individual.
    Fairly collaborative and team-oriented. Although everyone has individual goals and they are not always aligned across teams, people are helpful.
    Fair compensation - especially considering work/life balance. Few people work late nights or weekends (definitely NOT mandated - more by choice).
    Mobility across functional areas and departments is possible and mostly supported.

Cons

Corporate culture veers towards favoritism, with upward mobility being less tied to performance and more on executive sponsors willing to pull you up.
    Difficult business environment and challenges with company performance led to cutting of resources. These actions bring fear and are demotivating to employees. Goals and strategies are often scrapped, teams are often reorganized.

Ongoing layoffs are damaging to employee morale - would be better to handled in one action (i.e., annually).
    Career advancement no longer a clear 'track,' as experience and performance do not equal promotions. Corporate culture based on 'sponsors' favors leaders of a particular type, not necessarily your best thinkers and results drivers.

11. Overall good company to work for.

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Work-life balance, Job Rotations, People - smart people to work with, great for working mothers

Cons

Too many changes too quick, hard to keep up with the change, very decentralized