American Express

3.6 1,769 reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault

Ken Chenault

(1,311 ratings)

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance and they are very invested in their employees(in 398 reviews)

• Home Based Servicing has a bit more flexibility given that it is a work from home position(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception(in 68 reviews)

• decision making processes and promotion of less qualified individuals(in 42 reviews)

1,769 Employee Reviews

Customer Service Representative

Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsCared for their employees along with benefits and time-off policies

Consthe numbers game and the sending jobs overseas

Review

Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsExcellent company to work. There's a huge potential to grow as a worker in American Express. I worked shortly for a corporate account, I had a very positive and good experience. Everybody in the corporate liked me .

ConsIf the Manager is not on the site for any corporate account, they need to communicate with all the new employee and make sure that they are getting the proper training and behavior from the supervisor for that corporate account. Sometimes the supervisor ( COULD BE JAPANESE OR ANY...) is very rude and do not provide you and tools and proper training. It is not fair to the new employee. Even though the Manager is very nice and helpful but she is not communicating rightfully with the new employee and is not aware of the surrounding.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate rightfully with everyone, if you are not on the site!

Wonderful place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe CEO is a great guy and very inspirational. The people are bright, sophisticated and nice. Good atmosphere and diverse culture.

ConsFrequent restructuring and management shuffles. Not a lot of loyalty to people who have been there a long time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Manager - Risk Management (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey wanted employees to be happy, there were opportunities to move around and learn and they invested in employee development.

ConsAs with many public companies, sometimes short-term earnings needs would outweigh long-term solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to balance grading on a curve with identifying key employees to keep.

Home based trainer

Trainer (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGreat benefits. A diverse company.

ConsConstantly changing hours. Have to be flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees more.

team leader business travel

Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are great==The ability to purchase vacation time and add to the PTO is wonderful. The customers are enjoyable and is nice to work with a company that puts customers first.

ConsThe ability to advance to other positions-the fact that the travel industry is ever changing. Making change management a daily task.

AMEX

Director - Risk Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossalary, culture, leaders, and lots of opportunities to move around and learn

Constechnology, health benefits, lack of training and mentoring

Great culture, work/life balance, perks, environment, corporate training

Digital Commerce Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love working at American Express as I feel like I am doing real work, making an impact, receiving corporate training, have a work/life balance, and am overall just enjoying my experience.

ConsThere isn't much I don't like about what I do for American Express. We get a lot of free food, but it would be great if there was even more free food.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't have much advice to upper level management other than to keep doing what they're doing.

Great place to cultivate skills.

ProsAmerican Express will, on average, provide a workplace which is capable of teaching the critical skill required to succeed in the business world. Employee's who spend time here will generally come out capable of exceeding the expectations of other business, especially less mature organizations.

ConsAmEx is a very large company and can feel segregated at times. If you are looking to move from one discipline to another it can be a bit of a challenge.

Great Company

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat People and Benefits. Ability to promote within.

ConsReview process like a bell curve, creates too much competitiveness in employees as they know there is only one or 2 people that can obtain an excellent rating per team each year. This creates people to step on toes, not just be the best that they can be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be quick to pigeon hole employees and judge because they are different. Diversity is key and the differences in people create great teams. Also change review process. There are other ways of rating someone's performance as the leadership side is very subjective.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!