American Express

1,892 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,392 Ratings

Pros
  • Offers excellent work-life balance by offering flexible work arrangements (in 431 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 74 reviews)

• Too many levels in the hierarchy thus making decision-making slow (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Candid feedback on Amex from a high performing marketing manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, work life balance, open and supportive culture, innovative, and the people!

Cons

Work is slow due to lots of process inefficiencies, doesn't pay as well as other banks, affected by big company policies e.g. hiring freezes and promotions freezes and re-orgs every year

Leaner and meaner, do more to retain the best talent and make it a meritocracy. Too many good people leave and less than talented people get lucky or incorrectly rewarded for their fluff people networking skills

Good but short lived

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Greensboro, NC

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

A forwards thinking company, excellent rigorous training program, good moral.

Cons

Not much room for upward mobility in customer service, employee rating system a bit unfair

It's a demanding place but worth the experience

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Solid co-workers who strive for excellence. Very professional atmosphere. Amazing public foodcourt downstairs

Cons

Massive building and security is very tight. Very little opportunity for permanent employment if you're a contractor. Location a bit isolated. No cheap food options.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, fantastic work environment, weird 18 month rotations

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The corporate culture here is really amazing and the people are fantastic. In general, work-life balance is great.

Cons

On-boarding experience didn't exist, one morning of discussions and nothing else. Definitely a meeting driven culture. Job rotations occur every 18 months which is fantastic for learning new skills, but means a lot of rework is done across teams as if you haven't just moved, someone else you're working with has, is about to, or joined with you.

Management should focus on a more streamlined documentation process for role responsibilities due to the 18 - 24 month changes.

good employer

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

good company work, challenging works, and new innovative technologies

Cons

regulatory/compliance requirements, need additional dilligence to make sure we don't miss compliance req, this will lead to additional reviews and longer dev cycle

Pockets of excellence exist - great leaders, great work - life balance

Current Employee - Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work-life balance is great; benefits are getting worse every year; leadership - 50/50, if you are lucky you can score with a good leader, otherwise you will be miserable for about 2 years until you are eligible to apply for a new role; the majority of the population is trying to "survive", i.e. moving laterally every two years;

Cons

there is no way you can complain from a leader; at Amex "bad" leaders are coached, not let go;

Great Company

Former Employee - Travel Counselor
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great salary7 and Benefits. Good people to work with. Most offices are virtual.

Cons

A lot of 24/7 hours

I worked at American Express as an intern

Pros

Great culture, everyone was willing to help.

Cons

Not really a con but there were structural changes in my group which made it difficult for me as an intern.

Good for certain people

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working for such a well known company. American Express is highly respected and a great company to work for. Their benefits are great (dental, health, vision, tuition reimbursement, life, legal, PTO etc.) And people that work there are well compensated. It is not rare to meet people who have been there for 10, 20, 30 years. American Express also recognizes employees for things they do well (rare in corporate America these days). I would work for American Express again if I had the chance, and I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Work- life balance is non existent. Part time jobs are almost unheard of (very rare).

Keep doing what you're doing. I loved working for this company. Leaders are always there when you need them, they always have an open door policy. Everyone is always super nice.

Be Brutal or don't stay too long

Former Employee - Director - Marketing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amex is a fantastic place to learn. Best marketing education I ever had.

Cons

It's not an Us Vs Them system, It's me Vs You when it comes to team work ratings and promotions. I was there over 10 years and I was in denial that team work is how you succeed. If your an MBA going to Amex, plan your exit strategy on day 1.

Leadership does not get along at the GM level. They are all out to get each other and step over one another. That attitude trickles down to the rank and file. It's not very productive or inspirational.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!