American Express

3.6 1,774 reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault

Ken Chenault

(1,314 ratings)

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance and they are very invested in their employees(in 399 reviews)

• Home Based Servicing has a bit more flexibility given that it is a work from home position(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception(in 69 reviews)

• decision making processes and promotion of less qualified individuals(in 42 reviews)

1,774 Employee Reviews

Best place to work and grow!

Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best thing here is the people!

Cons13 years and have not encountered with any worth reviewing!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Great Company

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPromote from within, great benefits and pay

Conshigh volume of calls on a daily basis which can get overwhelming...

Review

Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsExcellent company to work. There's a huge potential to grow as a worker in American Express. I worked shortly for a corporate account, I had a very positive and good experience. Everybody in the corporate liked me .

ConsIf the Manager is not on the site for any corporate account, they need to communicate with all the new employee and make sure that they are getting the proper training and behavior from the supervisor for that corporate account. Sometimes the supervisor ( COULD BE JAPANESE OR ANY...) is very rude and do not provide you and tools and proper training. It is not fair to the new employee. Even though the Manager is very nice and helpful but she is not communicating rightfully with the new employee and is not aware of the surrounding.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate rightfully with everyone, if you are not on the site!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Representative

Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsCared for their employees along with benefits and time-off policies

Consthe numbers game and the sending jobs overseas

accountant

Senior Auditor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood people to work for. Good compensation and training. Bonus system didn't really work for public accounting (when they bought McGladrey for a period of time)

ConsSEC company owning public accounting firm lead to limitations at that time. Corporate environment unusual for public accounting firm.

Wonderful place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe CEO is a great guy and very inspirational. The people are bright, sophisticated and nice. Good atmosphere and diverse culture.

ConsFrequent restructuring and management shuffles. Not a lot of loyalty to people who have been there a long time.

Good place to work

Manager - Risk Management (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey wanted employees to be happy, there were opportunities to move around and learn and they invested in employee development.

ConsAs with many public companies, sometimes short-term earnings needs would outweigh long-term solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to balance grading on a curve with identifying key employees to keep.

Home based trainer

Trainer (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGreat benefits. A diverse company.

ConsConstantly changing hours. Have to be flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees more.

team leader business travel

Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are great==The ability to purchase vacation time and add to the PTO is wonderful. The customers are enjoyable and is nice to work with a company that puts customers first.

ConsThe ability to advance to other positions-the fact that the travel industry is ever changing. Making change management a daily task.

AMEX

Director - Risk Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossalary, culture, leaders, and lots of opportunities to move around and learn

Constechnology, health benefits, lack of training and mentoring

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!