American Express

1,889 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,390 Ratings

Pros
  • Offers excellent work-life balance by offering flexible work arrangements (in 427 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 72 reviews)

• Too many levels in the hierarchy thus making decision-making slow (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a demanding place but worth the experience

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Solid co-workers who strive for excellence. Very professional atmosphere. Amazing public foodcourt downstairs

Cons

Massive building and security is very tight. Very little opportunity for permanent employment if you're a contractor. Location a bit isolated. No cheap food options.

Great Company

Former Employee - Travel Counselor
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great salary7 and Benefits. Good people to work with. Most offices are virtual.

Cons

A lot of 24/7 hours

Candid feedback on Amex from a high performing marketing manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, work life balance, open and supportive culture, innovative, and the people!

Cons

Work is slow due to lots of process inefficiencies, doesn't pay as well as other banks, affected by big company policies e.g. hiring freezes and promotions freezes and re-orgs every year

Leaner and meaner, do more to retain the best talent and make it a meritocracy. Too many good people leave and less than talented people get lucky or incorrectly rewarded for their fluff people networking skills

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be Brutal or don't stay too long

Former Employee - Director - Marketing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amex is a fantastic place to learn. Best marketing education I ever had.

Cons

It's not an Us Vs Them system, It's me Vs You when it comes to team work ratings and promotions. I was there over 10 years and I was in denial that team work is how you succeed. If your an MBA going to Amex, plan your exit strategy on day 1.

Leadership does not get along at the GM level. They are all out to get each other and step over one another. That attitude trickles down to the rank and file. It's not very productive or inspirational.

Good but short lived

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Greensboro, NC

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

A forwards thinking company, excellent rigorous training program, good moral.

Cons

Not much room for upward mobility in customer service, employee rating system a bit unfair

Sr Manager Marketing

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a marketer Amex is a fantastic brand to work with as well as resources against marketing campaigns. Across my several roles I cut my teeth on traditional marketing to prospects across multiple channels and finally to content marketing speaking to both customers and prospects. Amex is incredible data driven meaning that we have the insights to make good decisions especially against marketing elements. I was always impressed by the intelligence of my colleagues.

Cons

Working at Amex has a political element that can be difficult to swim with. At times information trickles down from the top even when rumors are extremely accurate. Annual reviews are strongly based on performance, that said the 360 degree feedback has a tendency to allow for grudge rehashing.

Encouragement of open discussions when tackling a problem. Often the only place to create consensus was outside of the meeting rather than within a meeting.

Pockets of excellence exist - great leaders, great work - life balance

Current Employee - Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work-life balance is great; benefits are getting worse every year; leadership - 50/50, if you are lucky you can score with a good leader, otherwise you will be miserable for about 2 years until you are eligible to apply for a new role; the majority of the population is trying to "survive", i.e. moving laterally every two years;

Cons

there is no way you can complain from a leader; at Amex "bad" leaders are coached, not let go;

Fair Policies and Great Benefits

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for the company over 5yrs and have been treated very well. As a male employee, I received 6 weeks of Parental Leave when my child was born. In speaking to friends and family, I learned that was rare.

Cons

They only con that I can think of is the company's constant need of more. Sales people have to manage their growth because they know that the goal will increase in the next year.

I think it's a good company to work for a balanced life.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Good training. Pay is not bad. Work from home options.

Cons

Nothing that i can think of.

The land of business ethics and the home of kowledge

Former Employee - Customer Service Professional  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

American Express offers a unique business professional environment where you can shine as an individual or part of a team, based on your commitment to give the customer unsurpassed service, with unlimited understanding, empathy and respect. To achieve that, American Express spends a substantial amount of resources in continuous skill improvement and technical product knowledge and training, after a very comprehensive initial personnel selection. Compensation is based on performance and feedback from cardholders, after every call.

Cons

I cannot think of anything of importance

Continue the great work

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!