American Express
3.6 of 5 1,587 reviews
www.americanexpress.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

American Express Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Usually a great work-life balance and they are very invested in their employees"
    in 367 reviews
  • "Home Based Servicing has a bit more flexibility given that it is a work from home position"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Your work/life balance will be tested when working in technologies at Amex"
    in 56 reviews
  • "The growth is little slow as Decision making is really slow over here"
    in 38 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

WSLN Coach

Coach (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express

ProsGreat Benefits, Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, from day one of hiring. Good pay, great opportunities for bonuses for those who work hard and internalize Customer Care.

ConsChange happens often in some areas and not as oft in others. Patience an understanding is all it takes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback is a gift, and the leadership of American Express takes it and actions it to the best of their abilities.

Amex Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Express

ProsThe management at American Express prides itself on a great work life balance and it is quite justified. Work culture is conducive to balance.

ConsBecause of the nature of large organizations, inefficiencies an hamper progress. There are some things that can be improved but overall, a fantastic internship experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPassive aggressiveness can run rampant when the collaboration is encouraged. Subtle potential issues with corporate politics can run out of control easily.

Managing Director

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Express

ProsGreat for some employees who are fortunate enough to have leaders that allow you to be virtual. Also really great for working Moms, which I think are so vital to the company.

ConsUnfair about which groups / team members they afford the chance to work virtually. It is beyond unfair. Some people can, but it is based on your leader. I think they need to really ensure all teams are allowed to have the work/life balance, not just certain groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above - be more fair about your virtual policies.

Project Analyst

Project Analyst (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

ProsBrand reputation and senior level leadership is strong

ConsCulture can be very politial and not encouraging of innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Overall American Express can be a great company to work. However, the management structure needs to be changed.

Plantation, FL

I have been working at American Express

Proslongevity, different locations to relocate

Conspay scales are too far apart between different departments. Managers promote who they like and not for your educational background and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and take up some recent leadership courses in order to cater for the generation X and Y ers.

American Express Low In Pay High In Benefits

Acquisition Executive (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

ProsBeing part of a large corporation provides the employee with a lot of opportunity, but also a lot of competition. Depending on the department, you can get reimbursed for tuition. American Express is very involved in the community and really preaches work life balance. American Express really stands out on a resume. Also the business leaders are very very approachable and I have personally met all of the Senior Leadership or my organization and Ken Chenault.

ConsThe economy has really hits the perks of the job hard. The health care used to be really good and made up for the low salary, but American Express has recently moved to a Health Savings Account and cut the health care benefits drastically to cut costs. They've tried to offset this by giving the employee $500 to use towards health care costs, but it's nothing compared to what it was. The Corporate Card division has a very low salary compared to the competition and the organizational behaviors are more centered on promotion based on who you know and not what you know or what you acheived. Promotions are very political and very nepotistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmerican Express has created a brand centered on customer loyalty and customer service, but American Express has lost sight of the brand in the last decade or so. It is paramount for the senior leadership to see that the customer comes first and not the stock holder.

Great place to work but little upward mobility

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsGreat brand recognition
Plenty of opportunity to cross-train provided you have time
Top performers are valued greatly

ConsPeer performance alignment is very political
Exhtremely tough to move up the ladder if you don't have direct VP or SVP support
Too many chiefs and not enough workers
Multiple meetings are needed to get anything done

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job overall but pay attention to how the field is actually operating before making strategic changes.

It's time to step it up!

Travel Counselor (Current Employee)
Dearborn, MI

I have been working at American Express

ProsIt's a job. I like the PTO policy. Starting off you get 184hrs and they give you the option to buy up to an additional 5 days.

ConsFor it to be such a big company it takes way too long to pay out bonuses and incentive. The raises are a joke, insurance premiums way too high. Overall morale of the office is very low. Many stay because there is simply nowhere else to go. It sucks living check to check because we can't get paid what we're worth!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to how the emplyees feel! Get the TL's outta here that don't really know what they're doing or even care to boost the morale of the team!!

Good at lower levels.

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsInclusive work environment
large company with lots of room to move around

Consvery senior leadership doesn't abide by the blue box values as the rest of the organization does

Advice to Senior ManagementGenerally doing a good job.

Amex

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent. values. Good . people, Work culture

ConsInflexible. Slow. to. move. old fashioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible. Adapt innovative customer centric features.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Express CEO Ken Chenault. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees.