American Express Reviews

2,316 Reviews
American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,616 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long (in 455 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 77 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

1. great company

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

leadership, general management, innovative, medium pace for a large company

Cons

compensation, medical cost for benefits

2. Senior Manager

I worked at American Express

Pros

There was a lot of flexibility with work life balance. There was great opportunity to learn the credit card business from a true market leader like American Express

Cons

Very difficult to get promoted in this organization. If you are not connected, it's very difficult to get a new opportunity

3. Team leader

Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express

Pros

Growth potential, competitive salary excellent benefits.

Cons

I have no negative comments

5. Service Delivery Engineer

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexible hours, great work/life balance

Cons

Reorganization happens very often . Might be a good thing for a company overall but employees have a sort of no stability feeling

Advice to Management

VP level leadership to have more interaction with employees (quoterly town halls just not enough for both sides to see a true picture in my opinion)

6. Senior Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, very relaxed culture.

Cons

Frequent org changes and restructuring

Business Development Manager

Current Employee - Manager, Business Development

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down absolutely best place I've worked. Can't imagine many better employers out there than Amex. Great money, benefits/perks, great work-life balance, culture - they take care of their people in all ways and it's a bunch of fun and smart people.

I've experienced NO micromanagement. This is a BLESSING. My boss talks to me like a person / coworker. Values my insight and opinions. Boss works hard for me to help with leadership opportunities and is truly my advocate. Most importantly lets me do my job so I can PERFORM.

For a virtual employee, I've had many opportunities to go for promotions and other jobs but have just not decided to do so yet as I'm very happy in my role. So there are plenty of opportunies even for virtual employees to promote and move around (market does play a role, of course).

Most of my coworkers have been here for 10, 20 or 30 years and I can see why. That tells me something. Nowadays people tend to job hop, but if you're hopping and you land here, consider yourself very lucky!

As with any large company, there's been some layoffs here and there, but it's very minimum and I've witnessed Amex really help these people to find new work with the company. And honestly if you're in a solid market and hitting your numbers and doing your job, you will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Cons

No cons related to work environment. My position is virtual so you have to make the effort to connect with people and network so you don't get bored or overlooked....but that's more of an individual thing...if you don't like that idea, virtual employee is probably not the route for you.

Advice to Management

Clear communication of the long term vision / strategy of what direction of company is would be nice. Where do you see Amex in 10, 20 or 30 years?

8. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed culture, leaders are approachable, competitive benefits and great work environment.

Cons

There are still some opportunities in the base employee's development path, but it looks like management has noticed and they're trying to fix that.

9. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager, Business Development

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is probably the best company I have ever worked for. They give a generous salary, great benefits, a lot of vacation time, and I never encountered an employee who wasn't willing to help if needed. They respect their employees, and even though it is a huge company, it doesn't feel that way.

Cons

They often re-organize and down size their work force, which can lead to stress when you know their financials are down.

Advice to Management

No advice, they do a really good job. I would recommend this company to anyone.

10. Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Work Life Balance
    Team Effort
    Telecommuting Available for most
    Training Library
    Opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Some people don't prefer telecommuting, but for most of us, it is wonderful! A quiet location in home is a must, however, as dogs barking and children crying can be heard when speaking to clients and peers.

Advice to Management

I haven't been there as long as most, as most people enjoy it and do not leave. Even those who have left typically return, so there must not be much to improve upon.

11. Excellent company to work

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Work culture, people, value, fun

Cons

there are no cons for me