American Express Reviews

3.7
American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,761 Ratings

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance (in 455 reviews)

• Most business units offer flexibility to work from home either all the time or two days per week (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • manager level you are overworked with little work-life balance (in 77 reviews)

• Slow decision-making by senior management (in 49 reviews)

2,589 Employee Reviews

1. Delivering extraordinary customer care and developing future leaders.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express

Pros

American Express is one of the most admired companies in the world. Upon learning of my position at American Express, the reaction of friends and family has always been, "Wow! That's a great company! Congratulations!" Beyond the prestige, American Express offers its employers countless of opportunities to be a part of the process to deliver extraordinary service to its customers as well as make a positive impact to its shareholders. The leadership development for myself and for my peers goes beyond any expectation I had coming out of college. I have received intimate learning sessions on proven leadership tactics, such as MBTI, Crucial Conversations, and Situational Leadership, under the Adult Learning Theory. As for career development, the company offers many opportunities to network with influential members of the leadership team, supports efforts to meet peers in offices around the country (such as Pheonix, Salt Lake City, and New York), and encourages employees to take on projects that require multi-department teamwork. The most impressive resource American Express offers for leadership development is a personal mentor to guide employees through all aspects of their career with the company; the mentor is always a senior leader at American Express.

Cons

In my time at American Express, I have found two negative aspects about the company. The first is typical amongst most large companies: Poor communication from the top down. In specific, managers of front-line employees (employees dealing directly with customers) have little initial input on the directions upper management decides upon. Instead, these managers receive general goals to achieve, and must express these goals effectively to their employees and only when the direction headed poses challenges do managers have the opportunity to offer solutions. The second issue I have stems from the first. Managers at this level, because of the large gap in the heirarchy with their bosses, are not influential enough to have spirited debates with their superiors, but are very vulnerable to disrespect from their direct reports. To offer a metaphor, being a front-line manager at American Express is like being between a rock and a hard place: You can't talk to your boss the way you might like to, but your employees are at liberty to express their emotions, how they see fit, to you.

Advice to Management

I would advise Senior Management to allow middle-management (or front-line managers) to be more influential in the decision making process as it pertains to the direction a department is moving and also goal setting. I would also advise Senior Management to be more visible amongst their direct reports and also the direct reports below them. By being more visible, a Senior Manager can not only gain respect, but it can also open lines of communication that could spur new ideas and possibly lead to improved performance.

2. Amex is a great company to work for under the right supervision. The Houston offices have wonderful management.

Current Employee - Travel Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Travel Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Express

Pros

The benefits, flexible work hours, room for growth in the company.

Cons

can't think of any. I would say.. I would like to see more overtime available

Advice to Management

They are doing a wonderful job. I enjoy working for them because at one time or another they started off just like me.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Stable company on Dow Jones and more than 150 years old, great benefits, caring company. It is the people that work at the company that makes it so great to work there from Ken Chenault and Al Kelly on down to the front line employees. It's like a second family! The company is dynamic and ever changing to stay ahead of the market. The company is positioned for the long haul, not just the next six months or six years. The opportunities for advancement are there if that is what you are looking for but you had better be the best!

Cons

It's corporate America, as with any large company you may feel like a number but front line leadership is (for the most part) very good in recognizing your individual contributions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because we only get stronger as a company!

great company to work for

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Working with smart, mainly dedicated individuals; being able to direct your own career - not being stuck in a job for years on end; being able to balance work and home life depending on how you like; Amex is a great company for marketers, because in a relatively short period of time you can acquire a wide array of skills.

Cons

Compensation is not as good as with competitors - although leadership tries to make us believe it is; perception can sometimes obscure the reality - it's such a big company, you need to "become" someone in order to be noticed. It's also a crime that a credit card company won't give its employees a free card - or at least some card-related perks for free.

Advice to Management

Come to grips with the competitive environment with respect to salaries

6. Don't Leave Work Without It

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Anerican Express is a very diverse organization.

Cons

CCP's are no longer offered flexible, compressed, shifts.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. They are the pulse of the organization.

7. In one word Excellent

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Excellent Pay, Excellent Benefits, Great Opportunities. This is an entry level position within the company, they give you 4 weeks paid vacation with the option to "buy" a 5th week. The benefits package is outstanding, they pay for around 80% of your health care expenses. The opportunities they give you for growth are outstanding, I have been in 5 different positions within the past 4 years, that have given me the expertise in various departments and try out positions within other departments to see it they are a fit. They do an excellent job recognizing positive results and promoting them within the each department celebrating each individuals contributions. Their leaders do an outstanding job providing constructive feedback about job performance and the feedback is aimed at promoting better job performance and movement within the company

Cons

the company at times is driven more by numbers than people, but given the nature of the economy, especially in the credit card industry, its not surprising. At times I do not understand managements choices for the direction my department is heading, and their choice in some leaders

Advice to Management

Find a better way to hold Team Leaders accountable. If you are going to hold Customer Care Professionals more accountable, then you need the Team Leaders need to be even more accountable

American Express ROCKS!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Wonderful company to work for! Amex cares about it's employees and invests a lot of time and money in people support and development. Excellent work-life balance. Great leadership!This is a company that cares about its people and also cares about giving back to the community and the world.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a long time for decisions to get made, but mostly because Amex is a consensus driven company -- so it's understandable and not a job dis-satisfier. It is definitely a big corporation so there are a number of bureaucratic processes, however you would find this at almost any big company. The pro here is that Amex invests a lot in its systems, training and resources.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

A clear market leader and a great place to work

Current Employee - Director Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

A Company with a great Brand, terrific leaders from top to bottom, energized employees and a culture that's focused on acheiving business results the right way by putting its employees and customers first. The formula works if you look at the profits it turns in quarter after quarter after quarter.

Cons

Sometimes it takes too long to make decisions because we are so consensus focused. Company intranet needs rehaul-its so 2000.

Advice to Management

Opportunities: Salaries could be a bit higher. New York is so expensive! On plus side: Keep up the momentum on creating flexible and alternative work arrangements. A real differentiator!

10. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Great corporate culture as well as advance opportunities

Cons

Health benefit and not enough choices on 401k

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. AXP can turn out strong leaders, driven from the top all the way down

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Ability to make your own decisions and influence change within the organization from day one. At Amex, the quality of senior leaders is incredible across all business units, there is no doubt that we have lost talented people over the years, but if you have been a senior leader at Amex for a while it's because you have proven yourself in many instances and can lead people. Ken Chenault is potentially the most inspiring CEO I've ever had the opportunity to work with/for.

Cons

Similar to any big bureaucracy we sometimes get in the way of our own success by creating rules and processes that slow us down and don't either help our customers, employees or business (in that order).

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees why you are so strong at developing leaders, continue to be open and honest and try to always focus on removing more obstacles/bureaucracy from the system.

Showing 2,589 of 2,684 reviews