American Express

1,980 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,447 Ratings

Pros
  • Offers excellent work-life balance by offering flexible work arrangements (in 447 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 76 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amex has a great work environment; it's not only a priority to take care of card members but the employees as well. Awesome benefits from day one. Pay is great for what you do with a very obtainable bonus structure. Met the CEO in training. I don't know any large company where you have that opportunity. High management maintains in touch.

Cons

Growth is prevalent but I've come to notice growth doesn't always mean anymore pay and actually less pay in some scenarios which I find odd. The work is tedious and not very challenging before long if you are on the phones.

American Express is a good company to work for

I have been working at American Express

Pros

office culture, experienced acquired, and work-life balance

Cons

promotions, benefits, upward movement, and salary

Great experience and opportunity to learn

I have been working at American Express

Pros

work life balance, respect for people, focus on customer

Cons

office politics, more important to sell yourself than let your work speak for itself, employees focused on networking more than their day job

make it easier for performers to get ahead rather than be dependent on always selling, rotate people amongst areas based on performance (high performers should be given opportunities to do stints in other areas rather than always hire from same areas)

A rewarding career at a top rated company, I enjoyed every second of the 24 years I spent there as a pacesetter!

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Studio City, CA

I worked at American Express part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had many high end centurion card members as clients and putting together their amazing complex travels was exhilarating!!!!

Cons

Changing the way we spoke to clients, especially since those I had for 20 plus years, in a manner that came from a regular script instead of speaking naturally.

Don't start new practices without trying them out first.

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - CCP Home Based in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - CCP Home Based in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Support, Opportunities for advancement, Team Support, Hours, Flexibility

Cons

Expecting to be open on Holidays so that you are able to work your shift and not use PTO time but the home based workers seem to be off on holidays which hurts if you don't have days to use for time.

evaluate some of the management team and the issues of drama beginning with them that spreads into the teams

Great people, hours and culture - but very slow and hierarchical

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

- Vacation
    - People
    - Structure
    - Hours

Cons

- Slow
    - Hierarchical
    - Political
    - Limited scope of work
    - Overstaffed

Great company to work for

I worked at American Express

Pros

Pay for performance incentives
    Great benefits
    Opportunities to train in other areas
    Lots of vacation time

Cons

Aggressive goals by management
    Lay-offs are regular

Listen to your employees and support them in adding value for your customers.

Kinda going downhill

Current Employee - Finance in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Finance in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Amex in Phoenix for over 6 years and things seem to be going downhill. Positives have included high loyalty of employees to the company, strong financial performance, variety of job openings (however usually lateral positions). Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long.

Cons

The company constantly reorganizes and has no problem giving employees pink slips. It is not uncommon to see your position eliminated once every 2 to 3 years. Shareholders come first, then customers, and employees are dead last. Phoenix office has recently converted to BlueWork--cubicles have been removed and now everyone sits at open tables that need to be reserved everyday. Everyone complains about the environment, it can be extremely noisy and disruptive. Many jobs have been outsourced to India, and more and more people from India are being imported to work in Phoenix; displacing employees who are US citizens. It is not uncommon for calls and conversations to be in Hindi, where I've had to remind people that not everyone is from India so meetings need to be conducted in English.

New open office space is disruptive and we are starting to see many long time employees leave. Bring back jobs to the US and hire more US citizens. Be more competitive with our competition as they seem to be improving their products and offer enticing alternatives to our products.

Vice President of Sales

Current Employee - RVP
    Current Employee - RVP

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many of my colleagues at Amex are among the smartest people I know. Their level of professionalism, integrity, and innovation are second to none. It really is the people that make the Brand.

Cons

Opportunities for growth and advancement are not always given based on merit. At times, the company can get distracted from the mission of servicing the customer and become overly focused on internal issues.

Practice a more inclusive form of leadership and keep the customer #1. Pay and benefits are very competitive.

Slave

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Employees were very friendly and great people to work with. They treat you like family.

Cons

Management treated the lower employees like garbage, yelling and screaming at them with explicit. There is no advancement unless you bow down and worship management for years. Pay is ok but not the best for the jobs being done. No job security, super easy to get fired or written up. Crappy system and cheap at everything. EVERYTHING!

Treat your employees the way you want to be treated