American Express

2,032 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,476 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long (in 455 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 77 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work life balance but horrible management

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at American Express

Pros

Good benefits/amount of time off
    Good compensation

Cons

Micro managers inhibit growth
    Feel like they are constantly trying to outsource jobs

Home Based Customer Service

Current Employee - CCP in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CCP in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Great employee benefits. Salary is pretty competitive

Cons

Ridiculous metrics to meet. Some leads don't know how to manage a team or coach

Train your Leads better

Gained a diverse background

I worked at American Express

Pros

Big company with lots of opportunities for mobility.

Cons

Hard to get visas to work international

Ok to work for

Former Employee - Lead Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in New York, NY

I worked at American Express

Pros

I loved my team. Loved the way we worked together to achieve our goals.

Cons

Too much focus on money and not enough on quality. Too many outside contractors, rapidly losing the amex culture and no one cares about amex any more.

Reduce focus on the shareholders. Quality is more important than speed and cheap contractors.

The pay's alright.

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Entry level position pay is better than any competitor's for a similar position.

Cons

It has a the typical pitfalls just about any other large corporation has.

Analyst

I have been working at American Express

Pros

-Work from home
    -Entitled to life outside Amex

Cons

-If you dont have a good boss/internal mentor, you're screwed
    -Too much unnecessary work just to look busy

Don't expect anything long term

Current Employee - Specialist Business Development in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialist Business Development in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Market-rate compensation and good work life balance, that's about it. Stick it out for 1-2 years and get to a company that invests in American employees.

Cons

Endless red tape. The entire operations team is in India and the entire Phoenix office is from India. Insane micromanagement. More time spent on paperwork and sucking up than actually selling and making money. Middle management is typically horrible and upper management is inaccessible. Passive-aggressive gossipy culture.

Cut the fat. Allow the inside sales team to manage itself. Stop hiring to fill affirmative action quotas. Let us do our jobs.

No job security; pretentious culture / environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, due to generous PTO policy and telecommuting options. Opportunities to work with many people, with very diverse backgrounds.

Cons

The most painful part of working at Amex is the constant restructuring. Layoffs are constant and happen for all sorts of reasons: downsizing, resourcing strategies (e.g: outsourcing), or sometimes they just feel like shuffling things around. Who gets laid off seems arbitrary - unless they decide to just eliminate entire departments (a fairly common practice). I've seen many good employees get laid off.

Review process is painful and often unfair. Promotion process is also unfair - they often post jobs when they already know who they are going to give the position to. Or, when they don't , it is usually because they want to bring in someone from the outside. In such cases, existing employees are again not given a fair shot.

Reward and promote based on job performance, not on how good someone sounds. And, make certain the person making those calls is capable of discerning who is good at sounding important and like they know it all, vs who is truly knowledgeable, skilled and adds real value.

If employees have proven themselves valuable in a role(s), give them opportunity(s) to perform other roles - don't jump at the chance to lay them off when you define new roles, and simultaneously get rid of their existing roles.

If you want loyalty and engagement from employees, give them some loyalty.

Technical Analyst

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Good company, excellent work life balance, good office culture with great people, good job security, opportunity to work remotely

Cons

Not the highest pay, very limited mobility, employees aren't very motivated, engineering department severely lacks innovation

Unfair Pay, Constant Moving, All jobs going to India

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Time and energy are put into training. Encourage continued education and participating in the community.

Cons

Constantly moving from desk to desk. Resetting up just to get settled and move again. Not only can this be a hassle and unorganized but it takes away from our jobs. Pay is a big issue, the longer you have been with Amex the less pay you receive. An example of this is say you like the department you are in and have no interest in moving to another department, basically your pay from year to year will only increase slightly not even the cost of living. However if Amex hires new employees into your department they will be making at the very least $2.00 more an hour than the person there with knowledge and years of experience. More and more of our jobs are moving over to India.

Make adjustments to department pay. Make it fair and equal through out the departments. Limit the amount of moving within the department. It will not only make employees comfortable but not waste time. Last, keep America working. Keep the jobs here in America.