American Express

2,024 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,472 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long (in 455 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 77 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

A rewarding career at a top rated company, I enjoyed every second of the 24 years I spent there as a pacesetter!

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Studio City, CA

I worked at American Express part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had many high end centurion card members as clients and putting together their amazing complex travels was exhilarating!!!!

Cons

Changing the way we spoke to clients, especially since those I had for 20 plus years, in a manner that came from a regular script instead of speaking naturally.

Don't start new practices without trying them out first.

Great company to work for

I worked at American Express

Pros

Pay for performance incentives
    Great benefits
    Opportunities to train in other areas
    Lots of vacation time

Cons

Aggressive goals by management
    Lay-offs are regular

Listen to your employees and support them in adding value for your customers.

Great experience and opportunity to learn

I have been working at American Express

Pros

work life balance, respect for people, focus on customer

Cons

office politics, more important to sell yourself than let your work speak for itself, employees focused on networking more than their day job

make it easier for performers to get ahead rather than be dependent on always selling, rotate people amongst areas based on performance (high performers should be given opportunities to do stints in other areas rather than always hire from same areas)

Vice President of Sales

Current Employee - RVP
    Current Employee - RVP

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many of my colleagues at Amex are among the smartest people I know. Their level of professionalism, integrity, and innovation are second to none. It really is the people that make the Brand.

Cons

Opportunities for growth and advancement are not always given based on merit. At times, the company can get distracted from the mission of servicing the customer and become overly focused on internal issues.

Practice a more inclusive form of leadership and keep the customer #1. Pay and benefits are very competitive.

Slave

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Employees were very friendly and great people to work with. They treat you like family.

Cons

Management treated the lower employees like garbage, yelling and screaming at them with explicit. There is no advancement unless you bow down and worship management for years. Pay is ok but not the best for the jobs being done. No job security, super easy to get fired or written up. Crappy system and cheap at everything. EVERYTHING!

Treat your employees the way you want to be treated

The BS outnumbers the selling

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand name, compensation is decent for the position, large opportunity for growth

Cons

Office culture is awful. Bogus HR reports, endless politics, passive-agressive leadership, affirmative action hiring up the wazoo. Selling takes a back seat to daily webinars and meetings which don't help your sales.

Cut the endless meetings and sucking up. Get your managers to help their reps and drive up sales. Eliminate PC culture.

Great Work/Life Balance

I worked at American Express

Pros

Amazing work/life balance, well defined role

Cons

limited growth opportunities in the Finance department, mundane work

Suffocating and great at giving false encouragement

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Energetic environment, on site nurse, GREAT sick and Vacation benefits.

Cons

Spend lots of time and money on Townhalls and having Sr Executives fly to SLC from NYC. 2 years ago, they fired both the bank presidents and filled the roles with 2 guys from NYC. Get messages and encouragement from managers that seems to be all talk and no action for your own development. They want you to have your very own "development plan" but don't give you any tools or encouragements to get there. Encourage metnorship and networking, but don't tell you how to advance your career. When you do get a raise, it's only 2% and that's for working your a** all year. They told me there was a hard cap for a raise I wanted for a promotion I received 5% TOTAL including the raise I was already going to get for my annual review.

Good intentions caught up in red tape

Current Employee - Account Protection Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Protection Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

American Express definitely isn't afraid of offering the compensation that an employee is worth, and recognizing strong performers on a regular basis. Management seems legitimately interested in keeping up moral with frequent events and projects. The environment is constantly changing and evolving, which keeps things fresh and interesting if you're flexible enough to learn a new job every few months.

Cons

Adherence to policy and procedure comes with no exceptions. If you try to make an argument that you've got a better way to do something or need to step out of procedure and have reasoning to back it up, you either never hear back, are instantly rejected or it takes so long that the issue becomes irrelevant. My personal record is asking my boss for permission to talk to another department, whom I asked for permission to talk to the department above them. Once I made it to the top, they reviewed my request and gave permission for the lower department to give permission to my boss to give me permission to actually do my job. If that sounds incredibly confusing and frustrating, it is.

Empower your lower and middle management employees. If there is a situation happening that needs a snap decision, being told that we have to wait for someone on the east coast to come in to work on Monday isn't good enough for me, for the customer or for the company.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong work life balance, energetic culture, growth mindset

Cons

Not currently growing fast enough

Great company to grow your career