American Express Reviews

2,690 Employee Reviews

1. Project Manager

Former Employee - IT Procurement Project Manager in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - IT Procurement Project Manager in Camarillo, CA

I worked at American Express (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice campus, good working environment, fast paced.

Cons

A little disconnected, and the outsourcing to India is so great it hurts as an American

Advice to Management

reshore...its hurting your business.

American Express Used To Be A Good Company To Work For

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Denver, CO

Pros

Liberal paid time off and good benefits.

Cons

American Express used to hire travel counselors for their travel expertise and customer service skills, but they refuse to pay for those skills. In addition, the focus is now to take as many calls per hour as possible. The concept of 'wowing the customer' is something management touts and talks about, but refuses to provide the time necessary to do that. It's funny...American Express expects employees to tell Cardmembers what they can/will do for them, but the company refuses to do that for their employees in return. This has led to low morale and high turnover, with new hires not being qualified to replace departed employees.

Advice to Management

Don't just say you appreciate your employees...SHOW your appreciation. Provide a competitive wage (I am currently working at a travel agency making 12k more than I did at Amex), add an incentive program that is realistic, and stop turning your travel counselors into assembly line workers. This is American Express, NOT General Motors.

3. Software Engineer III

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Competitive Pay, Relaxed work Environment, Innovative attitudes, Agile Philosophy, Good Workload

Cons

Located in Phoenix, free coffee isn't always the best, not much else really, hard to complain

5. Scrum Master

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

going thru a tough journey

6. Great company, always undergoing change

Former Employee - Director - Technology in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director - Technology in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work hard and excel. Great culture for a large company. Good benefits, competitive compensation (although challenging to catch up to market if you start too low).

Cons

Bureaucracy, they are trying to become more nimble/agile. If your salary starts too low, difficult to catch up to market as you advance.

Layoffs and offshoring......a short sighted CEO and company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My immediate team is very good. Can work from home occasionally. Pay is actually decent.

Cons

American Express is not the American company it used to be. Rampant seemingly non-stop employee layoffs. Literally every single week they're trying to trim American workers and replace them with employees in India. Working with India is very difficult. Overall very intelligent people, but their schedules are SO far off from ours and the accents are difficult to understand making frustrating complex issues even more frustrating to deal with. You cannot contact people during normal working hours and it leads to a complete loss of productivity you would gain if workers were local. This is what big businesses do, look at short term numbers at the cost of long term efficiencies and employee satisfaction. Back to layoffs, it makes me uncomfortable working at this organization. They have REDUCED employee expenses by 25%. The direct quote from Reuters "Salaries and employee benefits, AmEx's second-biggest expense, fell 25 percent to $1.25 billion in the three months ended June 30, pulling total costs down by 4 percent to $5.6 billion." I don't know about you, but I don't want to work for a company that is consciously trying to cut their employees pay benefits.....and overall numbers. This is 2015, the jobs market is the best it's been in 10+ years. I will state I am actively looking for new employment at a more stable company who values it's American employees. I have zero loyalty to this company.....similar to the loyalty it seemingly shows to its employees. American Express CONSTANTLY reminds us of how challenging the market is.....while handily beating the EPS estimates.

Advice to Management

American Express: We don't care about how challenging the market is. What we care about is our paycheck and our lives. I'm a top performer and I want to be rewarded as such. If your performance isn't up to par, I will fire you. It's not 2008 any more. Get over the layoffs and offshoring. When I found out just how much American Express moves their workforce overseas, I started using my Discover card.

Too much politics

Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, consistent hours

Cons

The politics and office drama here get in the way of getting your work done

Advice to Management

Encourage a positive, healthy work environment

Good Company

Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement if your willing to put the work in.

Cons

Large corporate environment filled with politics. Constant change.

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work/life balance is great! great work culture lots of internal opportunities for moving horizontally. Great compensation/bonus structure

Cons

A little behind in technology / best in class practices slow.slow.slow. to get things done. Too much bureaucracy Lots of top - down initiatives (do this because leadership needs it/says so) Horrible medical benefits

11. Business Development Manager

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Depth of role across many segments

Cons

No clear career advancement path

Advice to Management

Evolve your business past card

Showing 2,690 of 2,794 reviews