American Exteriors

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
4.0

Holly Ollier

Pros
  • If you are someone willing to put in the hard work and effort you will be rewarded (in 4 reviews)

• Senior leadership team is great, I see the future growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Leaving everyone we meet with a higher opinion of door to door interractions, than they had when coming to the door (in 2 reviews)

• Anything worth doing takes a lot of time and hard work (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

An Excellent company with a relaxed enviornment, and a friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - AST Captain
    Current Employee - AST Captain

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1.) Form excellent, lasting friendships with other team members.
    2.) the training here prepares you for any sales or marketing job.
    3.) the compensation is a living wage, and the bonuses allow for recreational spending.
    4.) the company promotes from within
    5.) you are paid to exercise daily and speak with folks

Cons

1.) every once in awhile someone is extremely rude to you at the door
    2.) for those with a strong work ethic, coming home with much less then your quota for the day can put you in a bad mood

i would advise a third form of bonus based on contacts. My team gets frustrated when we bring in large amounts of contacts every day, receive only 3 or 4 leads for the pay period, and lose our bonuses.
         we of course chalk this up to the call center not doing their job appropriately (wether thats fair or not i cant judge).
    however a form of bonuses where we receive extra compensation for every contact past quota will spur on not only my team but other teams within the company.

American Exteriors Response

Feb 24, 2015Sales Recruiter

Thank for the positive review! I would suggest talking with your manager regarding bonuses. Management is very fair and flexible to new ideas to reward our team members. Keep up the great work and ... More

install/services coordinator

Former Employee - Install Service Coordinator
    Former Employee - Install Service Coordinator

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

I enjoyed working with the install services team. We were all available to help each other out if needed. The ability to work remotely was a nice option (if you used it).

Cons

compensation was low for the amount of work that is required. position is hourly and if you were at 40 hours you had to punch out. Plenty of times we worked through our unpaid lunch and stayed to get work done after we punch out.

Trying to meet install revenue goals is hard to do when you don't have sales and when you don't have a crew to do the work.

Remember that we are working for the company and doing the best that we can do with what was given to us.

Advertising Manager

I have been working at American Exteriors

Pros

Good bonus system. Friendly co-workers. Friday's optional. Encouraged overtime.

Cons

Swing shift. Micro management. Sales. Monthly sales quota. Constructive criticism. Work Saturday mornings.

Learn where the line between constructive criticism ends and where being a complete jerk starts.

American Exteriors Response

Jan 8, 2015Marketing

We are glad to hear that you enjoy working at the company. We strive to provide a place where employees can enjoy coming to work each day and to grow.

We also support an open door policy so if
    ... More

Enjoyed working for a supportive, development oriented company

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

Great training program.
    Support from direct supervisor was amazing.
    Earning potential is uncapped and you have the ability to earn a great living.
    All levels of management and other Corp folks are easily accessible.

Cons

Some appointments were late in the evening, 730pm. But that's when home owners are available so if you want to make sales you're gonna have to work late occasionally.

Overpriced products pushed on middle class families who would be better off shopping at Lowes.

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

Good third party sales training.

Cons

Never know your schedule day to day. High pressure from management. Selling payments to families who would be better off saving their money and getting a quality product from Lowes at half the price. Taught to sell on fear of the unknown and overhyped potential medical problems from mold growth that may happen with condensation on windows. Total bs.

diversify your product line instead of only offering high end products to people who have no business putting 1200 windows or 20k + siding jobs on their low end homes. I would never pay this much to put windows in my home and I've got a nice place.

Lots of money to be made.

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great sales program and you can definitely make a 6 figure income if your willing to learn the system and put in the time. All the marketing directors in salt lake are great people, the new district sales manager has acclimated really fast and is more than qualified for the position. Great team environment in the sales group. Getting paid time off as a salesman is pretty cool, i can't wait to cash in... Also great bonuses, you can make up to 3,600 in bonus a month.

Cons

Lots of driving, lots of training, funky schedule but is somewhat flexible. Have to work Saturdays but at the same time those seam to be pretty good leads.

Fix the spread sheets. Also if possible eliminate paperwork.

Excellent company

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I just started with the company, and I see incredible potential for myself and the company as it grows. Some people aren't happy with the change that the growth requires and grumble, but you'll always have that. The previous DSM didn't write that bad review, it was written a few months before he decided to leave and help his father.

Cons

Old timers who are resistant to change, closed minds to finding improvement. Just because it's always been done that way, doesn't mean we have to keep doing it that way.

Looking Forward to a Long Career with a Growing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I work with a very supportive group that is helping me learn the ropes of an industry that I have just recently been introduced to. This really makes me feel like my peers and supervisors want to see me succeed. I have seen multiple promotions within my short time here, which tells me there's room to grow within the company. Coming to work is great because everyone is happy to be here and the team seems to grow stronger each day. The best thing about the job is the flexible schedule!! It is a real nice perk.

Cons

With many districts across the country, you don't get to see all of your co-workers face-to-face. Although the heavy workload is great, being able to work overtime would be nice to complete everything before taking the weekend off in order to fully reset for the upcoming week.

Run as fast as you can! If you enjoy being micro managed the set the interview.

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Exteriors (less than a year)

Pros

Ummmmm...Ummmmm cant think of one.

Cons

No flexibility with regards to the pitch. Very high pressure. Over priced windows and sliding doors. if you like to sleep at night don't work there.

Pay more than 319 a week during training. Its less than minimum wage.

Great company and headed in right direction!

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity and advancement. If you are someone willing to put in the hard work and effort you will be rewarded. This is not a place for those that are not flexible, easy to point blame or someone who is not willing to work hard. They have a great training program that is easy to adapt when you are in the field and ongoing support from management.

Cons

Working evenings and weekends is not the most ideal, but that is when our homeowners are available. I've had to readjust my family time to the mornings, which has actually worked out great. A member of the executive team was let go due to lack of performance and now other members of his team are leaving.

Continue to be upfront and honest about what is going on with the company. Have a replacement before letting such a big part of the organization go, offer better benefits and more PTO.

American Exteriors Photos