American Exteriors Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Holly Ollier

Pros
  • If you are willing to put in the time (in 4 reviews)

• Senior leadership team is great, I see the future growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Leaving everyone we meet with a higher opinion of door to door interractions, than they had when coming to the door (in 2 reviews)

• Anything worth doing takes a lot of time and hard work (in 2 reviews)

An Excellent company with a relaxed enviornment, and a friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - AST Captain
    Current Employee - AST Captain

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.) Form excellent, lasting friendships with other team members. 2.) the training here prepares you for any sales or marketing job. 3.) the compensation is a living wage, and the bonuses allow for recreational spending. 4.) the company promotes from within 5.) you are paid to exercise daily and speak with folks

Cons

1.) every once in awhile someone is extremely rude to you at the door 2.) for those with a strong work ethic, coming home with much less then your quota for the day can put you in a bad mood

Advice to Management

i would advise a third form of bonus based on contacts. My team gets frustrated when we bring in large amounts of contacts every day, receive only 3 or 4 leads for the pay period, and lose our bonuses. we of course chalk this up to the call center not doing their job appropriately (wether thats fair or not i cant judge). however a form of bonuses where we receive extra compensation for every contact past quota will spur on not only my team but other teams within the company.

American Exteriors Response

Feb 24, 2015 – Sales Recruiter

Thank for the positive review! I would suggest talking with your manager regarding bonuses. Management is very fair and flexible to new ideas to reward our team members. Keep up the great work and ... More

2. Home Improvement Consultant

Former Employee - Home Improvement Consultant in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Home Improvement Consultant in Kansas City, KS

I worked at American Exteriors (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and equipment was offered to the salespeople called "home improvement consultants". Very good support was provided by the District Manager through one on one sessions and twice a week in house district meetings. Commissions were generous, and half was paid upfront after a sale attained "green" status (no base salary). Nice training process offered through Rodney Webb with focus on making "same day" sales while overcoming upfront buying objections through a detailed presentation. Appointments were preset; no cold calling. The windows enjoyed some terrific technology that made them a fine investment for those who could afford it. Co-workers were the best part of working at AEI; made great friends during my time in K.C.

Cons

Very difficult line of work for a hard working, average salesperson, thus I wouldn't recommend it unless you have plenty of cash set aside. AEI sold premium (best advertised quality) vinyl windows and siding at factory direct discounts but many of the homes visited were lower income, not positioned to pay $1000+ per window (includes installation), even if and when financing was approved. So many times I was asked if a mid grade window was offered at builders grade cost suggesting a more diversified product selection might help increase the sales volume. You MUST sell same day or any hope of a sale was lost as call backs are rare; this translated into an immense burden to thread the needle of being a consultant while not applying high pressure sales tactics. Also, I witnessed a few cases of poor customer support in the form of installations or fixing issues (like broken screens or cam locks). One installation to a homeowner was nightmarish; flower beds trampled, rain allowed into the house overnight before the installation was complete, incorrect window manufacture off a correct work order, nails left near the residence, broken glass on new window sash, etc. Note: the customer DID receive a free window for his trouble! A good percentage of preset appointments were of disappointing quality, i.e. no shows, one legs, cancels. You weren't given a car allowance, and average drive times to each appointment were 30 to 45 minutes. Health benefits were offered but extremely expensive, especially for families, including sky high premiums and deductibles. Bottom line: the few superb consultants who are silky smooth closers will earn over $100K a year but most will not no matter the effort expended. Burnout was easily achieved; no wonder turnover is sky high.

Advice to Management

Only wish the entire team at American Exteriors the very best! I learned much about the sales process and believe you provide a great solution for some homeowners. Thank you for the opportunity.

3. So sad to watch this ship continue to sink!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Once had the potential to be a great place to work and make a career and now just a sad day to day struggle to even make payroll!!!

Cons

We continue to move backwards. CEO, Holly, makes all decisions based if she "likes" you and continues to allow excuses from the VP of why no sales... Lowest month of the year last month for leads tells me things are getting worse NOT better!

Advice to Management

Stop paying a consultant to so the VPs job. This is the saddest part! Learn how to connect with the people.

a good entry level sales job

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Kansas City, MO

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

The company is good at training you on a sales process. They have an extensive process that lasts 2 weeks. They will teach you a lot about windows and how to become a good salesman. There is a lot of follow-up training and review on the sales process in meetings every week and detailed review of your in-home meetings with potential customers. The leads are dealt to sales people without prejudice and in order of who is the best closer, but still given out evenly. If you need help, you will get it. Salesman are given bonuses monthly and the total pay can reach 6 figures in a year if your very good. If you don't know sales, windows or siding, then they are a great company that will teach you everything you need to know to become successful.

Cons

If you know how to sell and If you know a lot about windows and siding then the attention and follow up will seem like micromanagement. There are other companies out there that will let you go sell and stay out of your way. The Ride-a-longs, weekly sales meetings, and hours of training every week are mandatory. There is a detailed sales process that they want you to follow step by step and a dip in your results will reflect poorly on their process, so repeated weekly meetings to go over that process can drive you away from the company after a few months of going over the same steps over and over again. Which is why the company has high turnover. In home sales is not easy, only a select few will make a lot of money right of the bat, so please have a lot of money saved up before you start working. This isn't for anyone that has been in sales and is set in their ways. The constant follow up and training can be suffocating.

Advice to Management

Good luck

6. There are many great home improvment companie, this isn

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Denver, CO

I worked at American Exteriors (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much on the up side.

Cons

High pressure to perform and a very confining sales process. Even if you perform to their expectations, you may still be terminated.

install/services coordinator

Former Employee - Install Service Coordinator
    Former Employee - Install Service Coordinator

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

I enjoyed working with the install services team. We were all available to help each other out if needed. The ability to work remotely was a nice option (if you used it).

Cons

compensation was low for the amount of work that is required. position is hourly and if you were at 40 hours you had to punch out. Plenty of times we worked through our unpaid lunch and stayed to get work done after we punch out. Trying to meet install revenue goals is hard to do when you don't have sales and when you don't have a crew to do the work.

Advice to Management

Remember that we are working for the company and doing the best that we can do with what was given to us.

Enjoyed working for a supportive, development oriented company

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

Great training program. Support from direct supervisor was amazing. Earning potential is uncapped and you have the ability to earn a great living. All levels of management and other Corp folks are easily accessible.

Cons

Some appointments were late in the evening, 730pm. But that's when home owners are available so if you want to make sales you're gonna have to work late occasionally.

9. Advertising Manager

I have been working at American Exteriors

Pros

Good bonus system. Friendly co-workers. Friday's optional. Encouraged overtime.

Cons

Swing shift. Micro management. Sales. Monthly sales quota. Constructive criticism. Work Saturday mornings.

Advice to Management

Learn where the line between constructive criticism ends and where being a complete jerk starts.

American Exteriors Response

Jan 8, 2015 – Marketing

We are glad to hear that you enjoy working at the company. We strive to provide a place where employees can enjoy coming to work each day and to grow. We also support an open door policy so if ... More

Overpriced products pushed on middle class families who would be better off shopping at Lowes.

I worked at American Exteriors

Pros

Good third party sales training.

Cons

Never know your schedule day to day. High pressure from management. Selling payments to families who would be better off saving their money and getting a quality product from Lowes at half the price. Taught to sell on fear of the unknown and overhyped potential medical problems from mold growth that may happen with condensation on windows. Total bs.

Advice to Management

diversify your product line instead of only offering high end products to people who have no business putting 1200 windows or 20k + siding jobs on their low end homes. I would never pay this much to put windows in my home and I've got a nice place.

Lots of money to be made.

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Exteriors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales program and you can definitely make a 6 figure income if your willing to learn the system and put in the time. All the marketing directors in salt lake are great people, the new district sales manager has acclimated really fast and is more than qualified for the position. Great team environment in the sales group. Getting paid time off as a salesman is pretty cool, i can't wait to cash in... Also great bonuses, you can make up to 3,600 in bonus a month.

Cons

Lots of driving, lots of training, funky schedule but is somewhat flexible. Have to work Saturdays but at the same time those seam to be pretty good leads.

Advice to Management

Fix the spread sheets. Also if possible eliminate paperwork.

RSS Feed </> Embed