American Family Care

Updated November 4, 2014
2.8

D. Bruce Irwin, MD

Very Good So Far!

I have been working at American Family Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior leadership cares about the employees. They showed great flexibility and understanding when I had a family crisis right after I joined the company. Great knowledge of the healthcare industry.

Cons

None that I can report at this time. Nobody is perfect, but I have experienced nothing to complain about.

Keep doing a great job.

Worked here for 6 months and happy with my job!

Current Employee - X-Ray Technician
    Current Employee - X-Ray Technician

I have been working at American Family Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working here for about 6 months. I work from 3-4 days a week. My manager is very easy with my schedule especially having 2 kids. My coworker and I usually get together and do our schedule together to what fit us best. There's also a bonus. You get PTO with each paycheck, but when doing your schedule yourself, you usually never end up using it. There is alot of opportunities to move up also with this company!

Cons

Long hours--but they tell you ahead of time so it really isn't a surprise.
    Working holidays.

You've done a great job with these clinics keep it up!
    Salaries could be definitely better too! :)

My experience with AFC has been nothing but positive, I love my job!

Current Employee - Registered X Ray Technician
    Current Employee - Registered X Ray Technician

I have been working at American Family Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at AFC for myself include scheduling, paid time off benefits, and employee bonuses. I love my schedule having 3 days off a week instead 2. Also I have never lacked in paid time off, hours accumulating each pay period make it possible for me to have plenty of vacation and sick time. There is also unexpected bonuses and employee appreciation. Also the opportunity to move up in the company is encouraged. I LOVE MY JOB!!!!

Cons

I have worked in other clinical settings and hospitals and also had much anxiety about even showing up for work. I have always anticipated coming to work at AFC to see my co workers and patients who know us on a first name basis. This is the best work environment I have ever been in. The staff truly works together to benefit each other and the clinic, best team ever!

I do not have any advice for upper management. They are strictly here to help assist us and step in when needed. I have always experienced management that has been so accommodating to my needs.

Love the job and the people I work with.

Current Employee - PRC in Pace, FL
    Current Employee - PRC in Pace, FL

I have been working at American Family Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working for AFC for almost a year and love it. I work 3 1/2 to 4 days a week can make schedule to fit the days I need off. Great staff to work with and also great doctors. We get paid time off hours that accumulate with each pay check. We also get bonus for job well done and always someone to tell you that you are doing a great job and encouraging you. Also you can advance to high positions if you want to strive for other opportunities.

Cons

I have worked at other jobs and hated going to work in the mornings but not here. Look forward to coming in to see everyone with smiles and getting to help others. Can't say I have any cons because I have worked in places I hated and I leave here everyday whether tired or not feeling appreciated for the job I do.

Keep up the good work and great job on the managers you have hired.

Growing Pains and I hope they are learning from them

Former Employee - PRC in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - PRC in Nashville, TN

I worked at American Family Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement I saw people moving up through the company pretty fast. Work hard and follow the rules and you will learn alot in a short period of time. Yes the days are long in the clinic but what did you expect- they are open every day all day. I liked learning so much about patient care and all the different types of patients that came in. the health insurance and benefits are good, they didn't get messed up with obamacare. lots of training on the computer.

Cons

It seemed like the main office didn't think through alot of decisions that had to be put in place in the clinic. the managers have too much to do to train new people and all the time we had new people starting- if you worked in the clinic 6 months you were pretty much the most experienced person there. If they paid better people would stay - but they don't, like someone else wrote it must be the business model to hire the cheapest people they can find. Not enough training by real people not computers.

Pay a living wage. almost all of your employees are caring for patients. it would be nice if their paychecks reflected that you care for your employees too.

Unprofessional corporate and clinic managers

Current Employee - Physician in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Physician in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at American Family Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Close to home. This is the one and only reason

Cons

Over worked. Unprofessional corporate, lack of communication, rude and disrespectful , no medical knowledge clinic managers.

Have the backbone to communicate with your employees directly. Don't lie. Don't' treat the doctors like factory workers.

It's just their business model...

I worked at American Family Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AFC is a good job for you if you're just starting out in the medical field (in fact, you've got a better chance of being hired if you've no experience...see "cons"), or if you need a little flexibility in your schedule.
     - AFC is big into cross-training. Come in with a open mind, and you can learn a lot and bulk up your resume.
     - Days are roughly 10.5 -11 hours, every other weekend, and you're working 3-4 days each week for a close to 80 hour pay period (ideally...of course there are variations). So, this leaves more days off during the week than usual to have your life.
     - There's a close working relationship with the doctors at most clinics, so, if you're of the inclination to pay attention, your can learn something about medicine that's not from books.

Cons

Most of the drawbacks to American Family Care stem from corporate's philosophy toward staffing, which can be summed by one word: cheap.
     - Don't expect to get paid what you're worth. AFC ridiculously underpays its staff. Managers, when hiring, are locked into a "salary worksheet" from HR which dictates what they can offer for any given position, which will usually rule out anyone with any experience or firm expectation to be paid the area standard. As such, AFC is a company largely staffed by short-timers who are either just starting out and are biding their time while they gain experience before moving on, or who needed a job and took one at AFC until they could find something better. Turnover is atrocious.
     - Most days, clinics are understaffed. This means that, if you are working, you'll be going non-stop, all day. You will rarely, as in almost never, actually get an lunch break. You may get to eat a bite here and there, or shove your food down as fast as you can while standing up, but 30 minutes to yourself? Nope.
     - Factor in the pathetic wages and long hours with no lunch with the fact that you have a work force predominantly of young, inexperienced, and sometimes immature workers, and you have a situation in which employees will call out frequently (especially on weekends) and, when notices are given, pray for two weeks and not the drop-of-a-hat. You will be often be called on your day off and asked to come in because so-and-so called out or quit. There are constant worker shortages at AFC, leaving those left behind to pick up the extra hours, and the slack. Schedules are always subject to change.

There's a sense of disconnect between the clinics and corporate. Programs are instituted without warning the clinics (example: bad debt collection), and then you can't reach anyone at corporate to ask what's going on. Supplies are sent randomly or not at all from Purchasing while the clinics are hurting for them, with no explanation. There's an "us and them" feeling that shouldn't be there. As it is, a lot of people at the clinic level feel that anything shot up to corporate will only fall on deaf ears. That's too bad, because the corporate office should be there to support the clinics, not vice versa. Communicate!
     - The culture of constant turnover has created an environment in which there's very little institutional knowledge amongst employees. There's almost no one around any given clinic who's been there long enough to have "been there, done that", so everyone's constantly figuring things out anew. (Heaven help you if you have been around AFC awhile - you'll be asked everything all the time.) Other than the Learning Center, training resources are non-existent, and, as managers are usually stretched thin, employees are training themselves, sometimes incorrectly. (Sometimes they're not fully trained coming into the job). Consider creating a regional training position that could rotate between clinics, keep employees' skills updated and correct, and take that load from managers.

Not worth it

I have been working at American Family Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I don't have a pro. This is by far, the worst company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Low pay overpriced insurance benefits. Childish management/supervisors/co-workers. Non existent raises. Overworked. Six day work week no time for family. No chance for advancement.

Pay your employees what they are worth instead of telling to work overtime to get money

Long hours, low pay, no appreciation for employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pelham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pelham, AL

I worked at American Family Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. PTO accrues from first day and can be used after 3 months. Excellent training IF you are hired in a clinic with the drive to help others succeed.

Cons

Long hours, even on weekends and holidays. Schedule varies and has no regularity. You don't leave until the last patient is finished, which could be 9pm depending on the chief complaint of the patients and the sign in time. Not condusive if you have a family with children. Quality of training varies - my trainer preferred to play on the internet and flirt with management and male patients. Insurance benefits are good, but very expensive for the low hourly pay. I left after four months... it just wasn't worth it.

Treat your employees with respect and listen/respond when they have a problem. Be positive instead of being negative all of the time - it will help boost morale and increase productivity. Reward a job well done. Doing those will help lower the already ridiculously high turnover.

Horificly under staffed and under paid

Former Employee - Lab Technician/Cross Trained in Alabaster, AL
    Former Employee - Lab Technician/Cross Trained in Alabaster, AL

I worked at American Family Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You only work four days a week. Rotating weekends. Generally good benefits.

Cons

You work 10 hour shifts. You schedule changes from week to week. They are one of the lowest paying companies around. You are crossed trained in everything but not paid for it. MANY days there isnt enough staff on the schedule!

Make sure there is enough staff! Don't pull your lab employees, front office employees, or xray to do your nurses jobs! Let the NURSES do their jobs! If your going to cross train, make sure you pay your employees to do all the work they are asked to do.