American Family Insurance

American Family Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

American Family Insurance President & CEO Jack Salzwedel

Jack Salzwedel

Pros:
  • "Had a decent work/life balance because I was hourly and no overtime was allowed"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Some good benefits, salary was good at starting point but annual raises were very low"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bonus structure for upper management are 18-20% of salary"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Little to no movement once you get here"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very professional environment and great company.

Prosbenefits, hours, days off, pay and people.

Consnot a 40 hour work week, cafeteria food is expensive.

Great place to work with great co-workers

Madison, WI

ProsLearn something new each day.
    Set day to day schedule
    great co-workers

ConsNot the best benefits in starter positions

not too bad

Personal Lines (Current Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

Prosjob security, hours, time off.

Conspay, no open positions, repetitive.

Advice to Senior Managementnice management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Care Center Rep

Customer Care Center Associate Representative (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe pay may be the only positive about this job.

ConsVery prejudice very few people of color move up within the company. There is no set policy, everything depends on the manager. Managers can just make up their own policy as they go. Managers do not lead by example the leave their desk any time they want and don't come back for hours but Care Center Reps are timed when going to the restroom. The company is continuing to add more work on the Care Center Reps and are not giving them the proper resources to do the work. This is a very stressful position and really is not worth the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as if they want to be there. Do not treat employees like you are a 6th grade teacher and you have to keep the subordinates in line.

Your mileage will vary.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    Madison, WI

ProsPleasant landscaping at the corporate headquarters, smart co-workers; people really know their domains inside and out. Good benefits, nice bonus (in profitable years). Education reimbursement, sweet ergonomic chairs and adjustable standing desks. Alternate Fridays off.

ConsThe tension between sales and underwriting makes experience design more difficult than it needs to be. Product owners do not have the authority to make tough calls, and are put in a difficult position trying to work both sides. The end product suffers and so does job satisfaction.

An entire department was eliminated because we were erroneously moved to a billable functional area in one of many reorganizations, which provided a disincentive for teams to use the expertise, which should have been free and up-front in the process, not tacked on at the end and costly. While the group was in its death throes, we were assigned a new manager who did everything in his power to demotivate the group.

Overall it was great at the beginning, and became a poor fit for me towards the end. Everyone's experience here is different based primarily on whether your leadership has support internally, or lacks it. If your leadership lacks support, there is little you can do to change this. Move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet experienced product owners so they can make tough decisions for the business.

Good co

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)

ProsPay, reputation of company, training

ConsAll numbers games, sales orientated

AIT

ProsSupport from the head office

ConsVery stressful, it's about numbers.

Good Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good training program! They spare no expense.

ConsThey have been taking rate increases along with everyone else in AZ but doesnt help when your trying to write new business.

150 Cold Calls a day. Marketer should be called Telemarketer.

Marketer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company seems to be very well run with lots of training available and opportunities for advancement. Other Marketers seem very happy at their agencies.

ConsThe agent you work for determines your work environment. As a marketer, I was expected to make 150 cold calls a day and follow up on very iffy internet leads. My agency did not allow flexible schedules and we cold called from 5pm-7pm at night. I feel the position was a bit of bait and switch. I was told this was an agent support type of job that involved servicing current clients, attending networking events, and a fun team atmosphere. The reality is the agent who hired me frequently showed up for work around 10am and left by 4pm. He often took 2-4 hour lunches and long weekend trips. My agent also did not make sales calls at all and then seemed to resent that we were were not making our agency goals that were set by the district..

The pay is low, barely above min wage and you need to sell about 60 policies a month to get in the $30K range. If you are not familiar with the insurance industry, that is a lot. Our agency goals set by district were 40 policies a month. This essentially ends up being a nearly minimum wage job.

I was never formally trained. This is scary as I am the "expert" people rely on. I've been doing this for 6 months and I don't know how to take a payment over the phone, can not verify insurance for lenders, and don't know how to look up clients accounts to answer questions.

It is concerning that there is not an actual formal training program.

My agent is very lackadaisical about many insurance commissioner rules and I don't know if this is from a lack of training or just plain laziness.

There is no 401K, PTO after 1 year, only 6 paid holidays, a terrible health plan, and no human resource department. I expected a major insurance company to have decent benefits.

I'm not listing my city, but my agency is in western washington.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline how agencies are run and implement a formal training program for support staff.

ok place to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosalright place to work for.

Consnone, this place is okay.

Worked for American Family Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Family Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Family Insurance CEO Jack Salzwedel. All 246 reviews posted anonymously by American Family Insurance employees.