American Family Insurance

Updated October 21, 2014
3.2

American Family Insurance President & CEO Jack Salzwedel
Jack Salzwedel

Pros
  • Had a decent work/life balance because I was hourly and no overtime was allowed (in 14 reviews)

• Some good benefits, salary was good at starting point but annual raises were very low (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure for upper management are 18-20% of salary (in 17 reviews)

• Little to no movement once you get here (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great coworkers, professional environment

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, helpful coworkers, always working as a team. Professional environment, well documented processes. Casual environment. Great work-family balance.

Cons

Management styles vary significantly from project to project. Some managers are incredibly well organized and know how to run projects, teams and plan for contingencies. Other managers seem more concerned with your status reports than the success of the project. When significant requirements change the deadlines don't.

Pay is quite low compared to market rates for similar jobs.

Solicit feedback from team members to see what works well and where there's room for improvement.

Compensation

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Vancouver, WA

I worked at American Family Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do pay you a monthly allowance, after all

Cons

They cover some of the expenses, but in my case I ended up putting more back into the business in order to purchase leads, market, etc. Can't you do generate leads yourself, without paying for them. you may ask? There is no time: you are a complaint addresser, a field underwriter, a prospector, a presenter, a follow-upper, a retention specialist, a claims adjuster, a QandA desk, a customer service agent, a data entry person, and probably wear a few more hats that I can't think of right off the bat. My experience was negative. They tell you one thing going in, and then you discover that you're on your own, are supposed to learn the company's products by divination (because no one will help you--they are all over worked and don't have time for this) and have so many servicing tasks heaped up on you, that there is virtually no time to market and sell, and thus make commission. So, you're stuck with the base salary--and if you want to meet your projected numbers, you have no choice but to put it back into the business. I'm gone after a year.

Change your model!

Company heading in right direction - some managers and departments disfunctional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great life/work balance, company tries to foster a sense of team, positive engagement and a sort of "family" feel. Reasonable pay, some training opportunities and some career advancement possible. Some managers are excellent.

Cons

Some bad mangers somehow survive and make the environment bad for their employees. Communication up the chain of command is distorted to overly positive so upper tier executives do not get useful information.

Figure out how to break down the distrust and fear that is caused by bad managers. Get rid of those managers and try to communicate directly with employees until the communication chain is reliable.

Worst place to work in past 15 yrs

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at American Family Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ergonomic/adjustable work desks
    not so much micro mgmt

Cons

if you're coming in as a consultant - without any reason or discussion, you will be locked out/fired/kicked out and would be left stranded wondering what went wrong.
    do not tie yourself to the madison area for this company if you are not a perm employee.

Claims Customer Care Center Adjuster

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at American Family Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime opportunity, Salary is good for the work you do compared to other companies, most employees are fun and easy to get along with

Cons

Company is behind compared to other companies in terms of technology. This is an extremely micromanaged position. The expectations are unattainable. The people that move up or do meet expectations "know higher ups". Extreme favoritism. Promised things that will never happen just to shut employees up for the time being. Some managers are awesome and qualified while others are how do I say this nicely--not smart, uneducated and egotistical. Takes months to make a simple change in a procedure. Training was not nearly enough for property. My manager would instant message us 24-7 and watch us like hawks on our team. Everyone feels under the microscope. Many executives friends/family come in--get an early schedule and move their way up to a high level position right away. It is not a whose qualified and best for the job company but who you know company.

Some managers I knew were amazing, but some need to get off their high horses and lose the ego. Some of us in the care center are more educated and smarter than you. Appreciate employee hard work and stop babysitting. Stand up for your employees and have some morals.

Great co-workers and regional management

I worked at American Family Insurance (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, with very flexible time off policy. Ability to work from home depending on your manager

Cons

Leadership at the executive level is sorely lacking in vision. Rarely do they think out of the box or behave in a manner that shows they value middle management or hourly staff.

Ask your employees their thoughts about upper management, not their direct supervisors. Most of the problems occur at the executive level and folks are never allowed to express their opinions about the actual decision makers.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Claims Support in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Claims Support in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, time off, company values

Cons

Promotions, Raises, Locations, Branch manager, communication can be limited

When people leave this company in the St. Louis location they don't always replace the person who left they try to make the people who are still working handle their work. Its gets frustrating. Promotions some people have been here for at least 5 years and have NEVER been promoted. Then there are some people who have been there a couple of months and get a promotion.

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at American Family Insurance

Pros

People/Co-workers are great to work with

Cons

You must be licensed in the state you're selling insurance in; staff is undervalued

excellent

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great management, career advancement opportunities

Cons

hours, rotating schedule, very busy department

keep doing what you're doing

Casualty Adjuster II

Current Employee - Casualty Claim Adjuster II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Casualty Claim Adjuster II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The past few years have been painful in the transition from the past to a vibrant company. The decisions have been tough but necessary in organizational change and in cost cutting.

Cons

Untrained leadership. Slow to update critical software. Hardware such as printers and copiers are in short supply and in general either Not valuing the employee thinking more of them as interchangeable and easily replaced.
    Many layers of management in all divisions especially claims and agency between the front lines and the top. Expenses have been cut from the bottom but upper and middle management are muffin tops to the company.
    Cost cutting is continuing as in any business and will cause great pain to many many hundreds of people and their families. Relentless auditing of factors that do not impact our success. Using statistics that may or may not have an impact on our success.

Reduce the middle and upper management in claims and agency. Home office staffing has mushroomed out of control. Determine the most important aspects of work and audit, coach and train those. Just because something can be measured does not mean it contributes to our success. Wearing the staff down with minutia.
    Bring back some of the warmth of the past while watching the bottom line. It can be done.

American Family Insurance Photos