American Family Insurance

Updated October 24, 2014
3.3

American Family Insurance President & CEO Jack Salzwedel
Jack Salzwedel

Pros
  • Had a decent work/life balance because I was hourly and no overtime was allowed (in 14 reviews)

• Some good benefits, salary was good at starting point but annual raises were very low (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure for upper management are 18-20% of salary (in 17 reviews)

• Little to no movement once you get here (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Once Steady Ship is Floundering on a Sandbar

Current Employee - Senior Business Technology Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Business Technology Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Well established 401K plan and company pension plan. Dedicated workforce, committed to excellence and customer experience, and providing a quality insurance product for our customers.

Cons

Due to recent re-organizations, staffing has been reduced and amounts of work have drastically increased. Senior employees are being forced out and the climate is more of the same in the future. Leadership is on a squirrel hunt, not providing a clear direction for the future. While employee pay raises have been in the 1% o less range for the past few years, EVPs, Chief-officers, President & CEO increases have been in the range of 15-20%. Bonus structure for upper management are 18-20% of salary. The company is becoming increasingly top-heavy with management, and employees are left with long hours, lengthy to-do lists, and stressful conditions.

Application Developer

Current Employee - Applications Development Engineering Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, flex days, promotions

Cons

Need some good process, salary.

pretty smooth and straight forward

Current Employee - Agent In Training in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Agent In Training in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

extremely thorough 6 week paid training and great on the job insight to run an agency

Cons

live out of a hotel away from family for 6 weeks and the job comes with no health benefits

provide your employees with benefits; at least some option should be available

Great company, professional and strong, stable company.

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time

Pros

Lots of room for advancement and you're encouraged to move up. Excellent pay compared to other companies and if you work hard and try at your job you will get raises and promotions. The company and everyone involved are concerned with the customer and making sure all work is done in a moral way. Best insurance company I've ever worked for.

Cons

The care center is like working in a call center; many get this confused and need to keep this in mind and not expect a corner office with golf outings whenever they want...you need to stay on the phones and help customers.

No complaints here.

Great opportunity if the stars align perfectly for you.

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at American Family Insurance as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, opportunity and the ability to grow your own business. Has the comfort of working for a big organization, yet the freedom of being self employed.

Cons

Opportunities are based on what the local management feels like doing that week. Very "flavor of the week" oriented. Sales leadership is taken care of very well as agents (new) can starve.

Get people in sales management that have not gotten out of touch with what it is like to be on the front lines.

Poor experience

Former Employee - Insurance Marketer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance Marketer in Bothell, WA

I worked at American Family Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had a decent work/life balance because I was hourly and no overtime was allowed.

Cons

I was placed in an office as a marketer for a foreign agent. I could not help 75% of the clientele as a result because she was a niche agent. I was expected to produced the same amount of business as the rest of the office who were established and spoke the same language as the agent.

Have your district manager conduct better screening to determine a best fit when selecting an office for a marketer.

Enjoyable Experience

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at American Family Insurance part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture was outstanding and I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers. The office manager was very accommodating and flexible with the schedule when things came up.

Cons

There were honestly no cons about working for American Family Insurance. Everyone was great and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great company.

Great Company!

I have been working at American Family Insurance

Pros

Great pay benefits and options of work schedules

Cons

Sitting all day computer work

Treat you like family

Current Employee - Casualty Claim Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Casualty Claim Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time, bonuses, highly engaged employees

Cons

they consolidated offices, fewer chances for advancement

Questionable Leadership and Decision-Making

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at American Family Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/family balance. Employees who care. Passionate agents. Company looking to support start-up businesses to enhance investment portfolio and stay on the cutting edge of new technology.

Cons

Poor decision-making. Relatively the same Sales Management team despite almost 10 years of stagnant growth.
    Put people into positions they are not prepared to be successful in- started a whole sales Call Center without anyone who ever managed a or even worked in a sales call center before.
    Seems like they are giving up on smart, performance-based marketing by putting greater emphasis on the brand and advertising and splitting up direct. Digital is a joke.

Its nice that you are loyal to long-time employees, but a time comes when you need to cut the chord.

American Family Insurance Photos