American Fidelity Assurance Company

Bill Cameron

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Afa in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Afa in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and grow. American Fidelity cares about our customers including our employer groups and customers as well as our employees. We truly care about how our employees can grow and improve in the future and be successful.

Cons

no cons for American fidelity

continue to work on a united theme to help grow and be as successful as possible as we move into the future.

Dec 8, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback! We love hearing how we’re meeting our goals to be a great place to work.

American Fidelity: Great Company to Work for!

Current Employee - Worksite Director in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Worksite Director in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company

Pros

Unique niche market approach to sales
    Generous pay, opportunities, and benefits
    Defined benefit pension and 401k match
    Private ownership makes decisions for long term success
    Culture- family feel with goal oriented structure

Cons

Significant travel for sales positions (although fully paid for by AFA)
    Need to develop better online service tools for customers
    Varying degree of proficiency for managers

Communicate corporate objectives better.
    Make sure all employees understand career path, perks and benefits, and retirement plan

Dec 11, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback on where we’re meeting our Employer of Choice goals and are always looking for ways to improve. We have several project teams currently in place ... More

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology to work with, always looking to continuously improve processes, great work culture and colleagues

Cons

Still using a lot of older technology and going through pains of transforming itself.

Leadership should continue to be open to ways to improve processes and suggestions from those in their team. Should find ways to be more aware of technology around and being more innovative.

Dec 1, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We’re glad you enjoy working here! As you probably know, we’re currently addressing our older technology and are in the process of updating all of our legacy ... More

If you enjoy fun and high stress then this job is for you.

Former Employee - Benefits Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Benefits Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company was in Best places to work. Great pay, Great Bonuses. Fun environment at times.

Cons

High Turn over, Very stressful job, Advancement in company can be difficult at times. They have a record of keeping employees for 20 years and right before they are to retire they get fired.

Fast paced, great people, generous company to work for

Current Employee - Technical Infrastructure Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Technical Infrastructure Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company really cares about making work an enjoyable place to be. The salary is very competitive with other top-rated companies around town, especially when the yearly bonus is figured in. I've been satisfied with the benefits package, which includes several health care options, 401K match, Holiday bonus, good PTO plan, and pension plan. In addition to the benefits, I work with great people that are passionate about what they do which makes a world of difference. Management is supportive, giving verbal praise and recognition often, and hands out cash "team awards" to recognize individuals that are going above-and-beyond. Lastly, there's always been enough money for training I needed and annual conferences. The company really does care about investing in its employees and technical infrastructure.

Cons

There are tons of projects to get done, and despite the formation of a committee that is supposed to prioritize projects, it can still feel like there is no strategy. It can be easy to get lost in all the work that needs to be done in order to feel like you're making a solid contribution towards a common goal.

Focus on communication to the business units. Establish company-wide strategies so that we can all work towards a common goal.

Dec 1, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate receiving the feedback, especially since we work hard to be an Employer of Choice. It’s great to know what’s working. You are definitely right that we ... More

Meh. Not the greatest but not the worst

Current Employee - Benefits Adjuster
    Current Employee - Benefits Adjuster

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time

Pros

Company tries to motivate employees positively and does little things like drawings for prizes etc. Lots of training available. Onsite cafeteria and gym.

Cons

For an insurance company, not the greatest benefits packages. Salary is not very competitive without the annual variable bonus which isn't even guaranteed. The claims department has an extremely high turnover rate (firing or making an unbearable work environment) and employee burn out. The position doesn't tell you that you will feel like a call center rep taking lots of phone calls, (following a script) as well as processing claims. Management plays favorites and demotes and promotes employees based on personal affinity.

Very Busy during school enrollment benefit season. Lots of travel.

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great home office. Good benefits includes company car. Opportunity to grow and move up. Since going to same school districts every year good source of production. Can build great relationships with customers and clients.

Cons

Turnover of employees. Lack of consistent management. New manager almost every year. Territories for Reps always changing.

Nothing will change by commenting here.

Sep 2, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently in the middle of a project regarding turnover. We’re analyzing our turnover for the past two years so that we can address any consistent areas of ... More

AWESOME Company! I'm sticking around until retirement!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, independence, great pay, enjoyable work. Management does not micromanage and as long as you do a good job you are left alone. Great incentive trips to places like Monaco, Mexico, Portugal, Hong Kong, Banff, Hawaii, etc. Defined benefit pension plan plus 401(k) match (up to 6.5% company contribution). AFA has been great to me and my family!

Cons

Things have not always been so good. California had significant challenges around 2009 that affected compensation but this was due mostly to the poor economy. It can be hard to go to work sometimes with so much freedom so you have to be a real self starter. Executive management has made some changes to comp during the middle of the year that affected top performers in a negative way. No company is perfect but I do believe AF is one of the best places to work overall.

Don't change compensation during the middle of the year or after you have rolled out new comp plans. Save the changes for the following year.

Aug 11, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback! We work hard to be an Employer of Choice and we’re glad you took the time to share your thoughts. If you have any questions or concerns about the comp structure, make ... More

The atmosphere is 100% positive, parking is great, and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Current Employee - Para Actuary in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Para Actuary in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, the on-site gym is a bonus, and everything seems progressive. The benefits are everything I would expect from an employer. I've only been here less than a year, and I can't imagine a better place to work.

Cons

No cons as of yet. I've sat here, trying to think of something negative to say, and I honestly can't think of anything.

My job is a typical 8-5, Monday through Friday, and has paid holidays. Therefore, the work-life balance is great. I don't believe I've been here long enough to give adequate advice to the management.

Aug 18, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re glad you’re part of the American Fidelity family. Don’t feel like you can’t share advice just because you’re new. We’d love to hear from you at any time ... More

Great company, excellent at what they do, appreciate their staff

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Strong leadership and management. This is a sales organization, and if you are a sales person this is a great place to work.

Cons

As with many jobs, particularly in sales, this one can quickly edge the work/life balance into mostly work.

It may serve the field better to not only promote from within for management positions. Great sales people don't always make great managers.

Aug 7, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for sharing! I noticed you mentioned the potential for work/life balance issues. Our Colleague Assistance Plan has tools and resources to help with that. You can see how to log-in on AFweb ... More

American Fidelity Assurance Company Photos