American Fidelity Assurance Company

American Fidelity Assurance Company Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

Bill Cameron

AWESOME Company! I'm sticking around until retirement!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility, independence, great pay, enjoyable work. Management does not micromanage and as long as you do a good job you are left alone. Great incentive trips to places like Monaco, Mexico, Portugal, Hong Kong, Banff, Hawaii, etc. Defined benefit pension plan plus 401(k) match (up to 6.5% company contribution). AFA has been great to me and my family!

Cons

Things have not always been so good. California had significant challenges around 2009 that affected compensation but this was due mostly to the poor economy. It can be hard to go to work sometimes with so much freedom so you have to be a real self starter. Executive management has made some changes to comp during the middle of the year that affected top performers in a negative way. No company is perfect but I do believe AF is one of the best places to work overall.

Don't change compensation during the middle of the year or after you have rolled out new comp plans. Save the changes for the following year.

Aug 11, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback! We work hard to be an Employer of Choice and we’re glad you took the time to share your thoughts. If you have any questions or concerns about the comp structure, make ... More

The atmosphere is 100% positive, parking is great, and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Current Employee - Para Actuary  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Para Actuary in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly, the on-site gym is a bonus, and everything seems progressive. The benefits are everything I would expect from an employer. I've only been here less than a year, and I can't imagine a better place to work.

Cons

No cons as of yet. I've sat here, trying to think of something negative to say, and I honestly can't think of anything.

My job is a typical 8-5, Monday through Friday, and has paid holidays. Therefore, the work-life balance is great. I don't believe I've been here long enough to give adequate advice to the management.

Aug 18, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re glad you’re part of the American Fidelity family. Don’t feel like you can’t share advice just because you’re new. We’d love to hear from you at any time ... More

Great company, excellent at what they do, appreciate their staff

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Strong leadership and management. This is a sales organization, and if you are a sales person this is a great place to work.

Cons

As with many jobs, particularly in sales, this one can quickly edge the work/life balance into mostly work.

It may serve the field better to not only promote from within for management positions. Great sales people don't always make great managers.

Aug 7, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for sharing! I noticed you mentioned the potential for work/life balance issues. Our Colleague Assistance Plan has tools and resources to help with that. You can see how to log-in on AFweb ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inept outdated company, arrogant top down management, weird culture.

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

work from home, car, salary, good people in the field.

Cons

terrible place to work, poor leadership. after being on it for 9 years they were surprised about being dropped from the list of best places to work. no one else was..they know they're inept and they try to overcome being found out by being arrogant . The management motivation presentations are simple information from books from 20 years ago. nothing new here. Management throws you under the bus with the client even when it was their fault. remember you make all the mistakes in the field and we never make one, that's their way of business. what a joke.

get this bunch out of there they're killing a once good company. not a leader among them. My God don't make a mistake its like you committed murder. Management is a very low functioning team so in love with their own ideas they can't listen to anyone else. its like they' want to cry if someone points out an obvious improvement . Bill Cameron is not the CEO this role is filled by a pretender.

Sep 10, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have a positive experience, and we hope you shared your feelings in the exit survey so that we can share the feedback with management ... More

If you're looking at Sales for AFES RUN!!!

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company Car. Other than that, not much positive can be said about AFES.

Cons

Almost too many to put into words:
    1) Quotas, Quotas, Quotas. Don't believe them when they say you're a "salaried account representative." This is semantics used by the AF to make school districts feel like the reps won't be pushing product on district employees in enrollments when all the emphasis is in production and quotas.
    2) State and regional managers do not hesitate to fault the account reps for their mismanagement of enrollments.
    3) Favoritism runs rampant. If you are not a favorite of state managers, don't expect to be put on decent enrollments, instead, expect to be sent to another state "to help out" or sent to voluntary enrollments in which one won't make Quota.
    4) Turnover. While working for AF, the state had almost 80% turnover. This angers customers and creates a bad environment for reps who are the "face" of accounts. State managers rarely face retribution from the company for their mismanagement.
    5) Extensive travel in some states. Territorial assignments are often non existent and you will be required to spend many weeks often hours from
    Home. 3+ average drive times are a norm.

Hold state and regional managers accountable. Stop making the underlings the bad guys.

Sep 12, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. We’re really sorry to hear about your frustrations. You mention high turnover. Although our year-to-date voluntary turnover in the field through June is just over five ... More

Explore other options.

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training staff is top-notch and professional, excellent benefits, company car, expenses paid, captive audience.

Cons

I was with American Fidelity for almost 2 years.

Micro-management, preferential treatment of some, travel (by travel I mean you are in your car on the interstate and staying at the Hampton Inn), high turnover, low flexibility for time-off. If you have small children and want to be around them then this job is not for you.

I was sent to job-shadow a veteran Account Manager my second week on the job and he quit on Friday of that week. I should have seen the writing on the wall. As soon as I was licensed I was thrown into an enrollment and learned on the job. I spent 6 weeks in this account only to have the same account terminate their contract with American Fidelity just a few months after this, the primary reason being turnover of Account Mangers. This put me in a constant sales deficit that I was not able to overcome.

(*If a policy lapses within 13 months after it is issued then you have to pay back the commission to American Fidelity, plus that amount comes off of your production for the year.)

I was already struggling with not having enough accounts to work in, thus limiting my production/sales, and then having to payback a large amount from every paycheck landed me on probation.

At one point in my career my state manager told me that I was the best Account Manager he had ever seen one-on-one with the client. I was able to connect on a level that went far beyond just trying to sell someone insurance. I truly enjoyed the one-on-one aspects of my job, but the constant pressure to meet sales quotas and being continually not at-quota put pressure on me as an Account Manager to sell customers anything and everything, not just what they needed.

My state manager also played favorites selecting other Account Managers to work in new accounts and better schools while I was often sent to the bus garages and historically lower yielding accounts.

American Fidelity has the history of being a great place to work but recently with high turnover and mediocre middle management this has become not even a good place to work. Bottom line: If you have other options for a paycheck take them. If you are desperate for a job then you you have to do what you have to do.

A district manager once tried to sell me on the fact that being away from home made his time at home "special". This same DM went on to tell me later about how his wife of 20+ years packed up everything and moved out while he was away on business. So much for "special".

If you truly want to solve your turnover problem then why not contact those who have left the company to see where it went wrong?

Sep 9, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. We’re really sorry to hear about your frustrations. In your advice to management, you mention addressing turnover issues. Although our year-to-date voluntary turnover in ... More

Very Busy during school enrollment benefit season. Lots of travel.

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great home office. Good benefits includes company car. Opportunity to grow and move up. Since going to same school districts every year good source of production. Can build great relationships with customers and clients.

Cons

Turnover of employees. Lack of consistent management. New manager almost every year. Territories for Reps always changing.

Nothing will change by commenting here.

Sep 2, 2014Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently in the middle of a project regarding turnover. We’re analyzing our turnover for the past two years so that we can address any consistent areas of ... More

Not the opportunity I was sold!

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Base salary+commission- You're only going to make 30-35k in your first several years from a base salary, but there are good opportunities to make at least that much or more in commission.

Company car with gas card- Ford Fusions, nice cars

Somewhat captive sales audience- The idea is that you will have many sales opportunities when you are reservicing a group.

Cons

Confusing/misleading/often changing compensation plan-4 changes to the compensation document in less than three years. Local management doesn't even understand most recent changes.

Extremely unbalanced workload- 60%+ of accounts need serviced in the 4th quarter. Management's solution, start your 4th quarter groups in September. Very unprofessional, and not in keeping with AFA's mantra of being an extension of a company's HR department.

Blatant favoritism-Worst company I've ever worked for in this regard. If you are 100% of quota, but not buddies with the district manager, you will not work in the new (and therefore financially lucrative) groups. Quite the contrary in that account managers with abysmal production (but personal pals with the DM) will be put in the position to enroll these new groups.

Coached to tell customers one thing while actually doing otherwise-We are told to tell everyone we meet that we are salaried account managers, but don't be fooled...this company is commission driven! Even with the lopsided workload you will be expected to be selling 4 out of 5 days a week. Again this is completely unrealistic.

Additionally we are coached to tell everyone we are needs based salespeople. We tell people we are NOT policy pushers, but again once our core benefits (disability and life insurance) are saturated in a group we are expected to come up with an angle to sell our tertiary products like accident, cancer, critical illness, or my favorite riders on existing policies. In this same vein we are coached to present EVERY employee we meet with with a life insurance quote, no financial needs analysis completed (I really don't think most of the employees or especially management would even know what a needs analysis would look like). This is the very definition under insurance ethics of "pushing policies"!

Unbelievable turnover- One reason I took this job was because of what was described as extremely low turnover. It was described as less than 5% turnover annually. Anyone familiar with the insurance industry will recognize this as an extremely low turnover rate. The reality is that in the last several years I have seen closer to 60-70% turnover both locally as well as nationally.

Upper management is too concerned with patting each other on the back for a job well done to listen to anyone in the field. This is unfortunate because it seems American Fidelity was a great company to work for 5-10 years ago. Bill Cameron either doesn't care what his senior management team is doing or is sadly unaware.

If I could share some advice it would be to stop trying to do everything. In sales we all understand the idea of "hooks and cables" but enough is enough. We already mislead our accounts into believing we need to meet with each of their employees each year for Section 125 compliance. Now we need to sell all of our accounts on flexible spending accounts, Cobra administration, and last but certainly not least...Healthcare Reform consulting. Healthcare Reform is AFA's new "golden goose". We are coached to encourage our accounts to sign up for different HCR consulting packages at the cost of thousands of dollars. Our approach? Prey on the fears of small business owners.

Pretty sad.

Aug 13, 2014Talent Management Team

hank you for your feedback. We appreciate the positive comments about the base salary plus commissions, company car and sales process. Our turnover rate in the field is less than 5 percent through ... More

Account Manager (Sales) - I urge you to do your research!

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and training.

Great IT support.

Customer service staff in Oklahoma are top notch.

Cons

High turnover in sales resulting in constant reassignment of accounts and frustrated employers who suffer poor service from the lack of continuity.

Very long hours, often arriving home on Fridays after 10 pm, then leaving Sunday again.

Repetitive sales reporting and other administration burdens that seem unnecessary.

Do not count on bad weather being a good reason to reschedule an enrollment or business trip.

Bad reputation in some regions creating a significant barrier for success.

Communicate to applicants very clearly the "accurate" percentage of overnight travel required for their respective region.

I also suggest you make sure the recruiting manager to communicate the strict enforcement of quota requirement for sales reps.

Verify if any sales representatives are being treated equally in all regions relative to quota requirements. There is a potential for discriminatory practices.

Horrible. New account reps are set up to fail.

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is nothing good about this company except a company car. I have nothing positive to say about American fidelity.

Cons

American Fidelity loves to tout their "salaried" account reps. Don't let this fool you. It is a very strict quota/commissioned based job. Local management doesn't hesitate to throw new account reps under the bus for their mismanagement of accounts/blatant incompetence. New account reps are promised a local territory when in actuality you will be driving 5+ hours away on a regular basis. Quotas are unreasonable. Management constantly threatens you with termination if sales goals aren't reached.

Local/state managers should resign.

American Fidelity Assurance Company Photos

Worked for American Fidelity Assurance Company? Contribute to the Community!