American Funds Distributors

Add Photos

Mark Freeman

Team oriented culture

Market Support (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsLots of teamwork, feedback-based performance reviews.

ConsThe "ladder" for advancement is not clear.. it's difficult to figure out what you need to do to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough the team is valued, there isn't much room for individual achievement.

To be or not to be

Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe health and MRP benefits are good

ConsTo be 'in the inner circle' or to 'be out'. One either has to 'fit in' with the higher ups regardless of your work ethic otherwise you are not 'a favorite' and do not get the special advantages. The culture of many years ago is gone. It is cut throat and who you know. Sadly, at the very top of the ladder, it is not seen how senior level managers treat people. Sr. managers do play favorites and ignore the fact that many people are lazy, come in late, take LONG lunches, disappear during the day, or even sleep at their desk hidden away in a corner. How can associates be online shopping all day instead of working? You tell a manger and it gets ignored because they do not want to deal with it and then they look at you as the bad guy for saying something.
    It's as though the great employees who have the highest work ethic and go above and beyond are not as valued as the 'so-so' employee who does enough to barely get by. Is it because the great ones raise the bar too high and makes the others look bad? Management needs to take a look around them and BE FAIR

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you make a list of who to lay off - look deep at everything. Work ethic, morals, integrity, honesty, dedication. These are the things that make a great employee and help the company to grow. Not the employee who can gossip with you all the time and who you share personal things with(that should not be shared) Need NEW management throughout. Very few have integrity and can be trusted. They are in it for themselves at whatever the cost.

American Funds was ok

Adviser Marketing (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsThe people I worked alongside, adn teh managers I reported to, were all great people.

ConsThe salary was below competetive. Every time I requested a review with a salary increase, the request was denied. It wasn't until I resigned that they offered me more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work is divided between many groups and everything is cookie cutter, don't expect to make alot of business decisions

Relationship Retirement Coordinator (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Prosgreat benefits, lots of variety, great people, interesting to see how the work flow runs smoothly

ConsService is compromised for efficiency. Can be degrading the way they expect exempt personnel to account for each minute of the day. Also, can be degrading because they have a set answer for every problem. They do not like anything "out of the box" or anyone who thinks that way can be snubbed quickly even though they would never admit to being that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople at the company make a difference not the efficient and wonderful work flow practices. TRUST that your employees are dedicated and devoted to doing the best job they can do instead of degrading them by having them enter a phone code each time they leave their desk. Make managers accountable for their staff and if someone is not performing deal with it on a case by case basis.

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

Prosthorough job training & on-site cafeteria

Consconstant re-organization of management, job titles & responsibilities

Advice to Senior Managementmore transparency & meritocracy = increased trust and morale

Large organization

ProsGood health insurance and retirement plan benefits

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement in sales

Worst experience of my life.

Perfect If You Like to BE Paid to Sit Down, Shut Up, and Work (Former Employee)

ProsOkay pay, good benefits that are being eroded by cost-cutting, great retirement plan.

ConsManagers are control freaks and hypocrites. Culture emphasizes constant "feedback" and correction, which can have exactly the opposite effect when you realize you can't ever do anything right. Work is mind-numbing with poorly defined responsibilities that shift constantly, depending on "business need" - any personal flair or individuality will be beaten out of you. Attitude is "fall in line or there's the door". Career growth opportunities or coaching are nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't really want to know what employees think, don't ask. Quit obsessing about silly details like phone scripts- focus on running the business, and let the "associates" handle the day-to-day work that you hired them to do. Live up to the fancy language you use to describe what your "vision" is, and your high opinions of yourselves - walk the walk.

American Funds Review

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, Challenge of the Job, Intelligent People

ConsVery Political, Secretive Organization, Micro-Management has been implemeted

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest and live up to your profession of "integrity."

Worked for American Funds Distributors? Contribute to the Community!