American Funds

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Kevin Clifford

They are the standard I compare other employment experiences with

Team Manager (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat Benefits. Insurance, retirement package, bonuses, in office subsidised cafeteria, culture - employee & family picnic, tickets to local events, etc. The greatest take away in my opinion was the financial and investment knowledge that I gained in the course of learning to assist shareholders has provided tremendous personal benefits too.

ConsVery flat organization, more lateral growth opportunities vs. upward mobility. The overtime requirements were a personal issue for me at family rearing stage of life.

worst 6 months of my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits are very good. The San Antonio Campus is beautiful with onsite Café, Gym, little Pocket Parks, Underground Parking.

ConsCo-Workers that do not know you, don't work with you, may never have spoken to you feel the need to, and are allowed to give "feedback" to your Manager about silly things like what you appear to feel like.

Low technology / unique benefits

Client Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsDepending on location, organic vegetable garden, all natural lighting in buildings, underground parking, healthy choices for breakfast and lunch, pre-made meals for dinner, and fitness facilities.

Constechnology is stuck in the late 80's and early 90's. Management inept, progress takes forever to move forward, too much consolidation of positions, gender dominance works against other gender. If you are of a certain gender and want advancement it is a decent place. If you are the other gender and have no desire to ever advance, then it is for you too.

Advice to Senior Managementuse technology, change your current paradigm, think outside the box, listen to your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training program was excellent. They provided a great atmosphere with plenty of perks.

ConsI lived an hour away, so the commute ended it for me. Nothing wrong with the company.

Good company to work for

Systems Support Representative (Current Employee)

ProsAmerican funds has a positive culture that promotes cooperation. There is an open door policy with upper management and everyone seems genuinely happy to be there. Depending on location, there is opportunities for advancement as evidenced by the many associates that have worked there for 5-10 years and more. Health benefits are slightly above par.

ConsOvertime can be very taxing on the employees as they are regularly required to work 2+ hrs of OT a week. Some departments require a clear vision as to what their objective and responsibilities are. Salary is an unspoken topic because it ranges vastly depending on associate. Employee recognition is purely superficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake every accommodation to keep your good employees otherwise they'll leave for higher pay and recognition.

Good company but they worry more about process than people

Prosgood compensation, good values, nice long history

Constoo rigid in their thinking, generally need to be "married to the company" to get ahead

First job out of college

Senior Shareholder Representative, Multiple Internships (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsPeople and the retirement benefits.

ConsNo one got promoted, unless you had the right Team Manager, if you were one of the lucky few you could do internships (but don't expect to do that job for more than two years) you could do the work and never get the pay for that job, life balance is wack, pay is low, and the amount of feedback you get daily gets really old, oh and don't go 15 mins outside of your schedule, you will be forced to contact the scheduling department so they can turn around and report you to your Team Manager who will follow up with more feedback. I have seen many wonderful workers "rotated" or in other words bullied till they felt no other choice but to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice for management, there are thousands of people who work here, there are policies and procedures for everything, and management can't do anything because for a company this old it is self sustaining.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsAt American Funds the compensation is good and you're treated fairly. The culture is relaxed and management is very approachable. They are extremely sensitive about not offending anyone, so if you like to tell dirty jokes at work this probably isn't the company for you.

ConsBecause American Funds makes decisions through consensus, it can take a long time to implement a new idea. It can also be very secretive; if, one morning, the person that sits next to you is gone and their desk packed up, you'll just be told that they "no longer work for the company." Don't ask any more questions, or you'll be seen as a troublemaker.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy experience with management was very positive. I would just urge them to be a little more open.

Introverted and Nasty

ITAnalyst (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsIf you are a full time employee you might have a shot at a good life style. Otherwise, not.

ConsThis company is up your backside all the time. Can you imagine in 2014 that they CLOCK each employee in and out, including lunch? Because of that no one ever leaves the building for lunch so you are a captive employee, Horrible. They also promote a culture of fear and intimidation that should be illegal.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove all middle management. Treat all employees with true equality. Remove the time clocks.

In the beginning I enjoyed the atmosphere, then each there after my disinterest increased.

Senior Shareholder Account Representative (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe employees were nice to work with.

ConsSome upper management were incompetent. The pay was minimal for the amount of work you had to do, and for the rude financial advisors you had to deal with. Policies were constantly changing, and you were micro-managed on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, and increase compensation for new employees.

Worked for American Funds? Contribute to the Community!