American Funds

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014
3.4

Kevin Clifford

They are the standard I compare other employment experiences with

Former Employee - Team Manager  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at American Funds full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Insurance, retirement package, bonuses, in office subsidised cafeteria, culture - employee & family picnic, tickets to local events, etc. The greatest take away in my opinion was the financial and investment knowledge that I gained in the course of learning to assist shareholders has provided tremendous personal benefits too.

Cons

Very flat organization, more lateral growth opportunities vs. upward mobility. The overtime requirements were a personal issue for me at family rearing stage of life.

Started off great...ended as a sweat shop

Former Employee - Senior Client Service Representative  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Norfolk, VA

I worked at American Funds full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits- Great people to work with - Pretty decent pay- 2 bonuses a year

Cons

No work/life balance- no room to move up- tons of required overtime

Pay attn to your employees needs or you will continue to loose great ppl

worst 6 months of my life

I worked at American Funds

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good. The San Antonio Campus is beautiful with onsite Café, Gym, little Pocket Parks, Underground Parking.

Cons

Co-Workers that do not know you, don't work with you, may never have spoken to you feel the need to, and are allowed to give "feedback" to your Manager about silly things like what you appear to feel like.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low technology / unique benefits

Former Employee - Client Service Representative
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative

I worked at American Funds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on location, organic vegetable garden, all natural lighting in buildings, underground parking, healthy choices for breakfast and lunch, pre-made meals for dinner, and fitness facilities.

Cons

technology is stuck in the late 80's and early 90's. Management inept, progress takes forever to move forward, too much consolidation of positions, gender dominance works against other gender. If you are of a certain gender and want advancement it is a decent place. If you are the other gender and have no desire to ever advance, then it is for you too.

use technology, change your current paradigm, think outside the box, listen to your employees

Great company

I worked at American Funds full-time

Pros

The training program was excellent. They provided a great atmosphere with plenty of perks.

Cons

I lived an hour away, so the commute ended it for me. Nothing wrong with the company.

Good company but they worry more about process than people

I have been working at American Funds full-time

Pros

good compensation, good values, nice long history

Cons

too rigid in their thinking, generally need to be "married to the company" to get ahead

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Support Representative
    Current Employee - Systems Support Representative

I have been working at American Funds full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

American funds has a positive culture that promotes cooperation. There is an open door policy with upper management and everyone seems genuinely happy to be there. Depending on location, there is opportunities for advancement as evidenced by the many associates that have worked there for 5-10 years and more. Health benefits are slightly above par.

Cons

Overtime can be very taxing on the employees as they are regularly required to work 2+ hrs of OT a week. Some departments require a clear vision as to what their objective and responsibilities are. Salary is an unspoken topic because it ranges vastly depending on associate. Employee recognition is purely superficial.

Make every accommodation to keep your good employees otherwise they'll leave for higher pay and recognition.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Funds full-time

Pros

At American Funds the compensation is good and you're treated fairly. The culture is relaxed and management is very approachable. They are extremely sensitive about not offending anyone, so if you like to tell dirty jokes at work this probably isn't the company for you.

Cons

Because American Funds makes decisions through consensus, it can take a long time to implement a new idea. It can also be very secretive; if, one morning, the person that sits next to you is gone and their desk packed up, you'll just be told that they "no longer work for the company." Don't ask any more questions, or you'll be seen as a troublemaker.

My experience with management was very positive. I would just urge them to be a little more open.

First job out of college

Former Employee - Senior Shareholder Representative, Multiple Internships  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Shareholder Representative, Multiple Internships in Norfolk, VA

I worked at American Funds full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People and the retirement benefits.

Cons

No one got promoted, unless you had the right Team Manager, if you were one of the lucky few you could do internships (but don't expect to do that job for more than two years) you could do the work and never get the pay for that job, life balance is wack, pay is low, and the amount of feedback you get daily gets really old, oh and don't go 15 mins outside of your schedule, you will be forced to contact the scheduling department so they can turn around and report you to your Team Manager who will follow up with more feedback. I have seen many wonderful workers "rotated" or in other words bullied till they felt no other choice but to leave.

There is no advice for management, there are thousands of people who work here, there are policies and procedures for everything, and management can't do anything because for a company this old it is self sustaining.

Introverted and Nasty

Former Employee - ITAnalyst  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - ITAnalyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Funds as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

If you are a full time employee you might have a shot at a good life style. Otherwise, not.

Cons

This company is up your backside all the time. Can you imagine in 2014 that they CLOCK each employee in and out, including lunch? Because of that no one ever leaves the building for lunch so you are a captive employee, Horrible. They also promote a culture of fear and intimidation that should be illegal.

Remove all middle management. Treat all employees with true equality. Remove the time clocks.

Worked for American Funds? Contribute to the Community!