American Girl

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

Ellen L. Brothers

Pros
  • Great benefits for those interested in Mattel and American Girl products (in 7 reviews)

• A good part-time opportunity in college or taking classes (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only a handful of full-time positions other that management (in 7 reviews)

• Very little room for growth; company has a tendency to hire from outside and force associates to wait years before offering a promotion (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Balance, nice career

Current Employee - Art Director
    Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at American Girl full-time

Pros

1/2 Day Fridays, Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Advancement almost non-existent, the money is top-heavy

Start being realistic about goals, reward employees closer to how you reward yourselves.

Excellent seasonal work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at American Girl as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Supervisors are cheerful, supportive and optimistic

Cons

outdated technology requires LOTS of training

Survey your order processors one week after training is done to see if the important issues are being covered. It well help redirect your efforts to more efficient training

Good for a seasonal job

Former Employee - Doll Hair Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Doll Hair Stylist in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Girl part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the upper management staff is really nice. It's a great atmosphere to come into everyday, even on the busiest days. Bad customer service is rare here and everyone is committed to their jobs.

Cons

Not a lot of cons, somewhat good hours for a part time/seasonal position..

-catty younger co-workers..
    -favoritism shown between management and employees..someone who's been with the store longer literally won't get written up for making a mistake and you will..(if you're not bffs) with management I suppose.

add more time to complete hairstyles
    And treat everyone equally.

Good place to work in...

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Girl

Pros

But, like in any any retail space, you have to sell and recommend everything in sight. Customer service comes second, regardless of what's said by others. System is also rigorous, if placed on a register make sure you pay attention. Lots to memorize. Other than this, place is good.

Cons

Written in Pros section, above.

Amazing Environment

Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at American Girl part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment and people around you are a good basis for a well rounded job atmosphere. The best thing about working at American Girl is that everyone is there to help you out and nice.

Cons

Moving up or trying to do more does not sometimes help you. Only who they want to invest more time in gets better opportunities.

Be a little more open to everyone having an equal opportunity to move up.

Internship

Former Employee - Interactive Design Intern in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Interactive Design Intern in Middleton, WI

I worked at American Girl as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

American Girl is a GREAT company to work for! I love most of the people I work with, and always have something to do. Theres no expectations of innovation, however when theres time for it, it is much appreciated.

Cons

Being in a warehouse, the cubicles and such are kind of boring. The meeting rooms as well. There is an initiative about fixing this, but we will have to wait and see how that goes.

Be prepared to grow headcount in digital departments. This is necessary for the growing expectations of the digital teams. And can allow for more innovative projects, allowing AG to keep up with technology.

Host

I have been working at American Girl part-time

Pros

Fun environment, flexible scheduling but must work weekends, fun co workers (family-like), cute kids, good pay, great bonus checks

Cons

Managers are unfair at times, some show favoritism, low hours, black out period during all holidays

listen to your employees who are actually on the floor dealing with customers instead of brushing them off and making them feel unimportant.

Marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

I have been working at American Girl full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

16-17 paid Holidays, above average benefits, deepending on your boss you can have flexible hours

Cons

Only 2 weeks vacation first 5 years, management uptight about dress code, Mattel's influence on AG hurts the company morale.

Be more fun and engaging. Every time Mattel corporate has a bad year, employees know there will be layoffs no matter how good of a year AG had. That's upsetting.

Great Company, terrible management at this particular store

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Washington, DC

I worked at American Girl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the time I worked for this company, I literally never had a bad experience with a customer - it was kids, parents, and grandparents, and everyone was happy to be there. The dolls are beautiful, detailed, and well made. Many associates and one or two of the managers at this store were really nice. Employees I talked to from the catalog and other stores were kind and helpful. I liked the message in support of girls and the quality of the products

Cons

The particular store I worked for had some really wonderful people, but there was a tense and at times hostile dynamic between the management and other employees. There was talk of a "team," but the managers didn't seem to know what that meant, which led to a lot of paranoia and distrust among associates. I have never felt so degraded and disrespected by an employer. The managers seemed to all be from Macy's and my take away from the experience was I would not want to work for Macy's.

My advice to American Girl Corporate is to do a little undercover investigation at the DC store. I think you would find the behind the scenes reality greatly differs from the show that is put on for corporate visitors. It was one of the most tense environments I ever worked in, and not at all in keeping with the spirit of American Girl as I know it. While I really liked many of my co-workers (many of whom were more knowledgeable and more service-oriented than the management), I was happy and relieved when another opportunity came through for me.

AG has great culture

I have been working at American Girl part-time

Pros

working with nice people office culture A+

Cons

managers expect more from retail than they expect from themselves