American Girl

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ellen L. Brothers

Pros
  • Great benefits for those interested in Mattel and American Girl products (in 7 reviews)

• A good part-time opportunity in college or taking classes (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only a handful of full-time positions other that management (in 6 reviews)

• Very little room for growth; company has a tendency to hire from outside and force associates to wait years before offering a promotion (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Seasonal Experience Phenomenal!

Seasonal Order Processor (Former Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsAs a seasonal holiday employee you are treated just as all the other full time employees are. The training takes a while and it covers a lot. They really help you learn about the products you are selling. The products are available to look at and touch... I felt respected and not as though I was being like a high-school student or something. Most seasonal employees I would say are between 22 and 50. The perks are nice also, getting discounts at the Mattel store, AG and Fisher Price.

ConsThis position can be stressful if you are not used to dealing with people over the telephone who may be aggravated, confused, frustrated, etc. As any type of customer service type position, there will always be disgruntled customers. Other departments are usually very good about helping with these customers.

Part time customer service

Prosvery people oriented and great product

Consnot a set schedule for work

Great brand, smart people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsAG is a great brand with a great mission. With as much growth as it's had recently, it has even more potential. People are smart, competent and caring. Work-life balance is encouraged and Fridays off was a great perk.

ConsEven though AG and Mattel function mostly independently, Mattel sometimes rules with an iron fist (especially in financial and legal matters).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on boldly stretching the brand in sustainable ways, and providing training and opportunities for key players. Carefully consider your balancing act with Mattel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

American Girl is a very magical, fun and easy place to work.

Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe environment of the entire store is wonderful. If you like kids then you will like this job. Hourly pay is more than many other retail stores, and the hours of availability are easy to work with and they are very flexible. The lead teams are also very friendly and caring.

ConsNow if you dont like children, during the holiday season the kids running around and the crowds can be dificult. Your weekends must be available. The growth in this company seems hard and not really likely to happen.

Great place to work. A lot of fun

Doll Hair Stylist (Current Employee) Lone Tree, CO

ProsCustomers are mostly happy young girls wanting to have a fun experience.

ConsSome people want to work more hours. Their are only so many full-time employees and those are only 30 hours.

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat Management, Fun Coworkers, Get to Make Little Girls Smile, Opportunities to Grow! OMG PLAY DAY!!!!!

ConsYou'll Never Have New Years Day Off....... Thanks Girl of the Year! -.-

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! You may have ups and downs, but I've never heard an associate in my store say they hate their job!

Best Retail Job I've Ever Had

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits for even part-time employees; Promoting from within and great opportunities for growth; Competitive pay; Fun environment to work in; Lots of chances to participate in charity and community events throughout the year.

ConsEmployees are usually hired first as seasonal, so job security is a problem until there is a permanent position open and you interview for that.

Go to for great seasonal job!

Seasonal Returns Processor (Current Employee)

ProsThey treat seasonal employees fantastically. Even though they are owned by Mattel now, the core values of American Girl can still be seen. People are proud to have worked there for 10, 15 or 20 years. Seasonals love coming back every year.

ConsIts winter, in Wisconsin. Mattel's values are starting to force out the American Girl values as far as quality and treatment of employees.

Great environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsGreat employers, Positive work environment, company cares for the community and it's employees

Conscan be very busy, and there are quite a few difficult customer service problems that would occasionally arise

Great corporate atmosphere; company works hard to respect temp workers.

ProsGot many perks that permanent workers did (employee discount, invited to company holiday dinner etc.) Large company seems very well put together. I liked being able to manage my schedule through an online-trade system. Training was very good.

ConsLimited hours. Company could respond better to customer issues. Wish there was more input from supervisor on ways to reach goals and improve.

Worked for American Girl? Contribute to the Community!