American Girl

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ellen L. Brothers

Pros:
  • "Great benefits for those interested in Mattel and American Girl products"
    in 7 reviews
  • "A good part-time opportunity in college or taking classes"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "There are only a handful of full-time positions other that management"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The managers aren't very good, long hours, cranky parents"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Little Room for Growth

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros* Typically willing to work with your schedule if you're a student or have other activities.
    * Enjoyable work location in the heart of the Magnificent Mile in Chicago.
    * Fun to participate in marketing events, excursions and celebrity visits.
    * Amazing staff and co-workers.
    * Decent Benefits (if you're fortunate enough to have a benefitted position).
    * An average day of work is relatively simple; the dolls practically sell themselves.

Cons* Very little room for growth; company has a tendency to hire from outside and force associates to wait years before offering a promotion.
    * The work environment over the years has become very much "management versus employees" and issues are resolved passive aggressively.
    * Extremely hierarchical work culture:
    (Management > Leads > 37.5 Associates > 30 Associates > P/T Under Associates > Seasonal Associates)
    * Does not encourage associates to seek income elsewhere, despite few full-time positions available; HR will not write letters of recommendation.
    * Little work/life balance with retail hours and fluctuating schedules.
    * Often understaffed to increase profit, which has lead to overworked employees and depleted morale.
    * Work atmosphere is increasingly "Office Space" corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more helpful to employees during peak hours and speak to them with dignity.

One of the best places to work in retail

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe people, the work pretty much everything. There are a lot of kids, so you really need to like children to work here. If not then be in stock or operations.

ConsThey still need to work on the diversity of the dolls.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you can make someone who is not white or half white, the Girl of the Year.

Seasonal Experience Phenomenal!

Seasonal Order Processor (Former Employee)
    Middleton, WI

ProsAs a seasonal holiday employee you are treated just as all the other full time employees are. The training takes a while and it covers a lot. They really help you learn about the products you are selling. The products are available to look at and touch... I felt respected and not as though I was being like a high-school student or something. Most seasonal employees I would say are between 22 and 50. The perks are nice also, getting discounts at the Mattel store, AG and Fisher Price.

ConsThis position can be stressful if you are not used to dealing with people over the telephone who may be aggravated, confused, frustrated, etc. As any type of customer service type position, there will always be disgruntled customers. Other departments are usually very good about helping with these customers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part time customer service

Prosvery people oriented and great product

Consnot a set schedule for work

Great brand, smart people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Middleton, WI

ProsAG is a great brand with a great mission. With as much growth as it's had recently, it has even more potential. People are smart, competent and caring. Work-life balance is encouraged and Fridays off was a great perk.

ConsEven though AG and Mattel function mostly independently, Mattel sometimes rules with an iron fist (especially in financial and legal matters).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on boldly stretching the brand in sustainable ways, and providing training and opportunities for key players. Carefully consider your balancing act with Mattel.

American Girl is a very magical, fun and easy place to work.

Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe environment of the entire store is wonderful. If you like kids then you will like this job. Hourly pay is more than many other retail stores, and the hours of availability are easy to work with and they are very flexible. The lead teams are also very friendly and caring.

ConsNow if you dont like children, during the holiday season the kids running around and the crowds can be dificult. Your weekends must be available. The growth in this company seems hard and not really likely to happen.

Great place to work. A lot of fun

Doll Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    Lone Tree, CO

ProsCustomers are mostly happy young girls wanting to have a fun experience.

ConsSome people want to work more hours. Their are only so many full-time employees and those are only 30 hours.

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsGreat Management, Fun Coworkers, Get to Make Little Girls Smile, Opportunities to Grow! OMG PLAY DAY!!!!!

ConsYou'll Never Have New Years Day Off....... Thanks Girl of the Year! -.-

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! You may have ups and downs, but I've never heard an associate in my store say they hate their job!

Satisfied while working there

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, friendly atmosphere, discount

ConsWas not happy with the seasonal employee title

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not make someone go through almost two months of training, and right before the holiday season reject the employee for permanent hire.

Best Retail Job I've Ever Had

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits for even part-time employees; Promoting from within and great opportunities for growth; Competitive pay; Fun environment to work in; Lots of chances to participate in charity and community events throughout the year.

ConsEmployees are usually hired first as seasonal, so job security is a problem until there is a permanent position open and you interview for that.

Worked for American Girl? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Girl reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Girl CEO Ellen L. Brothers. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by American Girl employees.