American Greetings

Updated March 3, 2015
2.9

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, strong company values, well maintained benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The Chicago office has some of the worst senior management that I've ever worked with/for/under (in 9 reviews)

• Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20 (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for, but finding the right "fit" in the area you work in is important.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Creative culture and diverse employees. There's a degree of "fluidity" to gain new knowledge and develop new skills if you desire amongst different departments/groups.

Cons

Steep learning curve of the systems and the nuance of products. A year is what it takes for me to feel comfortable and competent on the job.

Annual goal-setting and self appraisal can be streamlined, as they typically don't reflect reality and employees' day-to-day priorities.

amazing company

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

flexible hours, training, customers,

Cons

little hours at times, commute,

Great culture, analytical job.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The culture of AG is amazing. From Starbucks runs every other hour with friends to the awesome employee events. AG focuses on employee happiness, and they're good at it.

Cons

Be careful of what department you decide to work for. They tend to recruit marketing and management majors for departments that have an all-analytic job description. Though I loved the company, looking at excel documents all day wasn't all that hands-on and creative. That being said, I had many friends who loved their jobs, which had more of a that creative feel. Go with fit, not just whose interviewing you for a job on their team.

Happy worker

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work without being supervised, On your free time, great company, in & out kind of job.

Cons

Not enough hours, more of a hobby/side job.

More hours please,

Enjoyable work, unrealistic expectations

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

I loved the flexible hours-set your own, working by myself, greeting and helping customers

Cons

Strict time restraints are set and expected. The public is very disrespectful of displays, making messes. It is impossible to clean up, organize, stock, do inventory and orders in extremely small amounts of time.

You spend more on training, just to see people quit because of ridiculous time constraints. Instead, give more hours to allow successful results, in order to gain employee retention. In the long run, you'll pay less for training. (I was putting in over 30 hours per week to train and clean up what was left when there was no one to do the job for the first 3-4 months, then cut to sometimes 5 hrs per week. My travel between stores equaled more than that. The average store demanded 2-3 hours per workday, sometimes more.)

Great job... Out of college

Former Employee - Area Supervisor
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Autonomy of schedule
    Great merchandisers in store
    Good structure overall

Cons

Pay pay pay
    Work life balance
    Management

Get rid of Jor Beadle

Strong, continuously growing company

Former Employee - Management Assistant
    Former Employee - Management Assistant

I worked at American Greetings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was very happy during my time working with the Papyrus brand and had a great manager. Leadership is supportive and I have been very impressed and inspired by many of the decisions made by upper management. Colleagues also make it a fun, creative environment. Management has been working really hard to maintain and grow talent, and there are managers that treat their employees with a great deal of respect and empathy. I was given ample opportunities to grow and take the lead on a number of different types of projects and was recognized for hard work.

Cons

Not many cons, but there are a couple of managers I would not recommend to a friend, if it's avoidable (otherwise, it's worth it to get in the door). There are also a few individuals that focus heavily on the negative and are not very careful about gossip.

Continue to encourage a positive, growth-oriented culture, talk more about company values and continue to recognize and support your employees.

Organized Chaos

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The have a large on site cafeteria, work life balance, management staff is forward thinking. Technology is good.

Cons

Their IT departments have too much overhead and repeated jobs. No standardization. Frequent reorgs make it difficult to find a working rhythm. They have too many brands to manage. They don't appreciate their people. The higher management is completely removed from what is happening in the working world of their company. Communication is horrible top to down. They waste their money on useless things. Over all the company is poorly managed, fractured into silo's that all do their own thing and consistently is trying to catch up to its competitors to stay "in the market"

Get your act together. Communicate to all your areas what your goals are and make sure the rest of the company aligns with that directive. Encourage your management staff to work with you on the forward progression of the company and listen to their ideas. Eliminate the duplicate positions within the company and unite your people to work together. Having an AGI group that is managed entirely different than the rest of the company highlight's the fractured nature of your management.

You must be a robot

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Company is well known with a good history behind it.

Cons

Large turnover, job is not secure. If you make a suggestion that management doesn't agree with, you will be terminated.

Open your eyes. There are excellent ideas coming from the people who actually do the work. Listen to them.

Eyes Wide Shut

I worked at American Greetings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy place to boost your salary. Amazing creative talent. Flexible work schedule with unlimited sick time.

Cons

The tech side of the company (AGI - American Greetings Interactive) carries a lot of dead weight and is too stuck in their ways. It would take numerous miracles for the condition of the company's digital products to improve. Rushed or half-baked ideas quickly turn into projects that are pushed live without adequate preparation, strategic development and testing, which makes matters worse. No project is ever considered a failure (even if it fails) and no one is held accountable. This could be considered a 'pro,' but management doesn't have a sincere interest in discussing mistakes. In short, this company lacks thought leadership and is a mess.

The culture is stale, with a high turnover rate and low moral for those who care about their careers beyond AG. The majority of those still employed have been with the company for a long time and seem lulled into corporate complacency. You don't have to keep up your skill set or put in a full day of work to collect a pay check. Exorbitant amount of unproductive meetings. Unnecessary bottlenecks resulting from an inability to make decisions. Numerous teams/departments that don't communicate. Awful tech support... They will hire you, then ensure you're unable to do your job. I left because I was bored and embarrassed of the final products this company provided to their customers.

For those interested in a tech opportunity at AG, read the company's mission statement carefully. It's honestly more like high school than a professional work environment. But hey, you get to wear t-shirts and drink company supplied soda!

Stop promoting people who have been with the company forever. Instead, hire people with qualifications and offer support when those employees experience push-back from the dead weight.

Maybe AGI should focus on helping Customer Service find and retain talent to support disgruntled customers. Those hard working folks in Customer Service seem to be the brightest crayons in the box.

American Greetings Photos