American Greetings
corporate.americangreetings.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

American Greetings Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
American Greetings – US – “Outside view”

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss

Zev Weiss

Pros:
  • "Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company"
    in 9 reviews
  • "flexible hours, on your own, and if you love organization then this is the place for that"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No-No to the Eco-Friendly

Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Prosa supportive area supervisor, good training, and schedule flexibility.

ConsThe one thing I disliked most about working for AG was how much paper was being thrown away--by my hand. After major holidays like Christmas and Easter, there was always a heavy amount of cards still left to be sold. Instead of donating the cards, or sending them off to be either recycled or reused the following year, I was told by my supervisor that they all needed to go in the trash. After several years of this, I could no longer take the blatant disregard for environmental responsibility.

I think it is safe to say if there was a method in place for excess cards, I would still be working with AG.

Advice to Senior Managementplease do something about the amount of seasonal cards you send. Also, try more eco-friendly approaches to excess card disposal.

Drama workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy work. There are good people to work with who have been there for years.

ConsHot inside building. Supervisors do not listen or help when there is a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers. Get the drama out of the workplace. Happy workers means more production.

ptm

Prosflexibility, working alone, trainers are available and helpful

Consholiday work
    low pay
    can involve deadlines and long hours

Advice to Senior Managementfair and equal pay - some ptms are more dedicated and work much harder and others make way more money and don't work as hard?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work

Manager (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThe interactive division was a very energetic place, strong leadership, used to have much more independence

ConsLimited career opportunities, location limits future potential

Wouldn't recommend this place to friends

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAG store and Starbucks in the building

ConsNegative environment. Hard to move internally. Never met the CEO or any other executive member in my 4 years there. Very disconnected from employees. Little fish in a big pond atmosphere.

Great people, okay company

Management (Former Employee)

ProsI loved my manager. I loved the location in the mall and the customers. The products are outstanding. Nice discount. Great sales.

ConsAdvancement opportunities are few and the company does not pay well. They try to get by with as few employees as possible. They plan according to last year's numbers, but do not take into account whether it was a holiday or even the weather, which greatly effects mall attendance. Often the goals were completely unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your good and loyal employees. Offer affordable insurance. Give enough hours to make it worth keeping the job.

A very creative environment.

Cleveland, OH

ProsIn the store planning department you really felt like you were part of a team.

ConsUpper management was our challenge.

Just okay.

Production Specialist (Former Employee)
    Bardstown, KY

ProsAG had a very relaxed work environment. Though morale dropped from the earlier days, the company still made basic overtures at keeping employees happy sheep, such as monthly potluck dinners. The location was close to home, and the absentee policy was lax at the time, although it seems to have changed since I left.

ConsThe work itself was extremely boring. Like any workplace, some of the people were difficult and the rest were painfully ignorant at times. The day I left was like a scene from An Officer and a Gentleman, minus the man carrying me out, celebratory.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give frozen turkeys as Christmas bonuses. The jokes about "giving employees the bird" were tiresome and uninspired.

Creative Developer

Creative Developer (Former Employee)

ProsI learned so much about myself and was challenge everyday to push myself, to think out of the box. One of the perks for working at AG as a creative you get to explore and bring something new in your illustrations, typography, graphics, and animation. My co-workers were so amazing and I became close friends with some of them. I was able to contribute my skills to other departments and participate in brainstorm.

ConsOverall it's a great place to work, however there are A LOT of managers. There are some great managers that inspire their staff, but others are just coasting along and playing the corporate game. Some managers play favorites, even at the expense of other employees, sometimes belittling thoughts and concerns.

Advice to Senior Managementtake advantage of the minds of younger employees…they have a lot of fire and ideas and are the future of the company.

It was one of the best experience I has thus far.

Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Perth Amboy, NJ

ProsYou work on your schedule and time.

ConsThere are no cons to this position at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Greetings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Greetings CEO Zev Weiss. All 193 reviews posted anonymously by American Greetings employees.