American Greetings Reviews

Reset
3.2
American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company (in 10 reviews)

• flexible schedule, truly just a part time job (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of long-term strategy, weak senior management, lack of compelling career paths, and general inertia are problems (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management was our challenge (in 9 reviews)

1. American Greetings...job of absolute last resort

Former Employee - Creative Technical Specialist in Brooklyn, OH
    Former Employee - Creative Technical Specialist in Brooklyn, OH

Pros

Higher than average pay. Seems to compensate for high turn over. Easy to get in when new to the work force. They hire just about anyone, often regardless of any ability in the position. Some people do enjoy the environment, so it seems that it can be a good fit for some.

Cons

The culture, management as a whole, or lack of it. Have known several people who took jobs there against my advice and were ready to leave within a couple months. I left voluntarily and the lay-offs have not stopped in all the time since I left. They hire and fire, hire and fire.

Advice to Management

Need to clearly communicate to employees. More of an open door policy.

What a joke!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

I find the lack of quality pay and the excessive overloading of work really puts a skip in my step!

Cons

The management tells you how much they value you; "We caouldn't have done this without you." Then the appreciation suddenly disappears as the annoucements of no raises and no 401k matchings are made. Then announcements of mass layoffs. Then the announcement that American Greetings just bought another company. Wait....another company? "Yes, this is part of our long-term strategy." Apparently, raising employee morale is not involved in the long-term strategy. Nor does it seem like the employees are valued at all. They are treated as expenses that need to be reduced, rather than assets that should be taken care of.

Advice to Management

My advice for management would be to take a look at the health of your business. The reduction of employees and overloading of work on your existing employees won't really make this a better business in the long run.

3. Don't waste your time working for AG.

Former Employee - Territory Lead in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Lead in DFW, TX

Pros

Flexible schedule and the ability to work from home.

Cons

Pay Benefits Work in general Management Company Values and Culture Communication Merchandise Unrealistic guidelines and schedule Overall--- everything about working for AG is a downside ;-(

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to the merchandisers and become more compassionate about your employees...maybe then people will decide to keep working for AG.

Toxic.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Just to be completely clear - this review is for the Chicago office of AG. It's also referred to as Papyrus-Recycled Greetings, or PRG. The Cleveland office of AG seems to have everything together. People seem happy for the most part - morale is okay overall. And I worked closely with several people in Cleveland who were just awesome. Seriously - really great people. I'm blessed to know them. The Chicago office, however, does has some perks that are nice. It's downtown. There are some really great people that work there. Some of the best, and possibly most interesting people you'll ever work with actually.

Cons

The Chicago office has some of the worst senior management that I've ever worked with/for/under. Very manipulative and "read-my-mind"/"kiss my butt". There's constant turnover - and very low office morale. Most everyone obsessed about leaving or fantasized about being let go.

Advice to Management

Stop being so insecure and passive aggressive - or in one case, two-faced and overtly aggressive. Great leaders aren't made of that stuff. You were put there for a reason (and I want to think it wasn't to run that place into the ground - but I'm not completely sure). Trust your employees to do their job and do it well. Also - it's okay to offer constructive feedback and offer/provide direction instead of expecting people to read your mind.

It's time to move on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Very creative environment Starbucks inside of the building Inspiring building with lots of art and color For some, the move to Westlake

Cons

The work environment is not very inclusive Management team lacks leadership skills The benefits are horrible and expensive Lack of diversity in thought and ethnic background No career path. You get stuck in the role you are hired in.

Advice to Management

Take care of your current associates if you want to get more. Network with your peers outside of the company to learn some of their best practices.

Poisonous - Headed for the title of Worst Place To Work. Ever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

This is a review for what is now known as Papyrus-Recycled Greetings located in Chicago. Wonderful people, young and old who are a pleasure to work with. Everyone works hard to get their jobs done. Located downtown with excellent transportation options.

Cons

Recycled Paper Greetings is dead. AG killed what once was a lovely company to work for. Job security is always an issue and stressful to one’s life. The attitude is be thankful you have a job which creates very low morale. The hours are not flexible AT ALL, except for management. Can be difficult to get time off. Don't get sick since the health benefits won't cover much and are very expensive. No diversity.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Be modern. Stop treating adults like children. Think about what you're doing and the horrible, humiliating environment you're creating.

Thanks goodness THAT's over.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My division was very casual, I could wear jeans every day, and we had free soda.

Cons

They are very fickle about who they value as employees.

9. American Greetings, means "All about Greed"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a nice company to work for at the begining.

Cons

The company was not giving enough work hours. There is no communication between the supervisors and workers in the Pittsburgh, PA area. When a problem arises nothing seems to be done about it. The supervisor never shows up when is suppose to. The pay and advancement is poor.

Advice to Management

To train supervisors with more of an emphasis on people skills.

10. This is an old, family business and very hierarchical.

Former Employee - Lettering Artist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Lettering Artist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very creative people and good technical tools.

Cons

Not innovative or market focused. Marginal chances for advancement and mediocre compensation.

Advice to Management

Let creative people be creative and pay them for their talent.

Does not treat employees good

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, no other pros

Cons

no place for advancement, under staff, little training, very little pay for work done

Advice to Management

All of upper management changes or has been moved to India

RSS Feed </> Embed