American Greetings Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Great part-time work

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

It's fairly flexible. Great for stay at home moms with school age children, looking for some busy work and extra cash. Also great for retired people looking for the same. The people I work for care about their employees and that's hard to find.

Cons

There's not a lot of hours sometimes, so it's not great if you need a minimum number of hours.

Advice to Management

The managers I work for are great and genuinely care about my family and well-being. I would bend over backwards for them. I hope this is something encouraged by American Greetings and can be seen across the board.

2. Review of Personal Experience at American Greetings

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

The atmosphere of being in a place that was both creative and innovate made going to work an awesome experience.

Cons

I have no specific cons of my work experience at American Greetings.

3. Great company to work for

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Independence. You manage your own schedule

Cons

Holiday hours can be tough.

5. A great experience working there although it ended very abrupt

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Bucharest (Romania)
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Bucharest (Romania)

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Many opportunities to learn, working on various projects and with different software ; - Great team and working environment; - Good communication with colleagues from different countries especially with the ones from headquarters. - Nice team buildings;

Cons

The company should be more open about the economical status especially when involving employees.

Advice to Management

The management should be more transparent about the events that will affect the employees.

6. Ok employer for a huge corporation.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

American Greetings is the largest employer in my field in my home town. It's basically the holy grail if you get in.

Cons

Leadership stays in the family. Stock price more important than quality and integrity of product. Questionable financial decisions at WHQ, like the new park and recent major remodeling. There are too many levels of buracracy to sift through to get things done. Major projects take years to implement, during which time technology and the rest of the world moves forward.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should learn to care a little more about the quality and integrity of product. They should look outside the family for high up leadership positions.

7. American Greetings needs to become more proactive and listen to its employees

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Within headquarters, there are many opportunities to move around to different departments. If you prove yourself, and don't rock any departmental "boats", or upset any departmental heads, you shouldn't have a problem gaining experience and building your resume.

Cons

The systems are becoming increasingly outdated. In order to compete in business today, the employees need to have access to accurate information on a daily, if not real-time basis. This would also help to retain and attract talent. The people that talk a good game go further than they should. If you do good work, you need to hope that your boss is good enough to see it, if not, you better start blowing your own horn or get out.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the systems. Recognize that the profit margins of the greeting card industry and the overall market is declining and develop strategies to address this reality. HR has organized manditory courses aimed at encouraging managers to challenge and question direction, as well as developing other skills. This is good for the organization, but there are many, in senior levels within the organization that dislike subordinates challenging their views. So the talk is there, but the walk is not. Senior management needs to send the message that employees in the "trenches" can offer some of the best suggestions. Or, maybe they truly don't believe this? There are too many managers that are interested in defending their kingdom and not doing what's best for the company.

8. Good Company in a shrinking industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

People are great, work life balance is respected but you need to speak up when things get tough. If you do, you will get help.

Cons

Cleveland is a bedroom community, so not a great place for young professionals looking for a ton of after work hot spots. But not anywhere near what Forbes would have you think...

Advice to Management

Focus on strengths (e.g. in house creative), not the internet.

9. Was very happy here until the last couple of years

Current Employee - Merchant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Merchant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

For the first time in a decade, a clear corporate strategy communicated to everyone. Challenging work keeps things interesting The people

Cons

Uncertainty about future location of headquarters is disturbing Management says they want to empower employees but still supports a very hierarchical approval process for most decisions Layoffs every year

Advice to Management

Walk the walk Open up senior ranks to more women and minorities

10. a fun work environment when their is work to do, sometimes slow.

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in High Point, NC

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

i was promoted rather quickly. easy to learn most of your duties. management team was excellent. flexible work schedule if you need time off. annual vacation alotted to you.

Cons

low hours when not busy. time crawls when your to do list is done. secret shoppers can easily not be honest about their experience.

Advice to Management

i have no advice for management, they were great.

I was treated fairly and AG was a great place to work.

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Recognition for accomplishments and goals reached from upper management and department heads. Excellent benefits package and a fair salary for a National Account Manager.

Cons

Slow to move on decision making relating to account management and sales related activities. Layoffs were always a concern toward the end of fiscal year.

Advice to Management

Treat employees more like family and less like a number, lose to GE mentality of cutting the bottom 10% each year.

RSS Feed </> Embed