American Greetings

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, strong company values, well maintained benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither (in 9 reviews)

• Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20 (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, friendly co-workers, energetic environment.

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The products have dramatically improved over the past 5 years - from acquisitions and internal development.
    Co-workers are smart and friendly, and the generally enjoy what they are doing.
    The leadership is making an effort to listen and respond to employee concerns.
    The Weiss family believes so strongly in the prospects of the company that they recently took it private.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that now that the company structure is flatter and not growing a lot, there are fewer promotion opportunities. There have been recent efforts to increase cross-functional moves.

Follow through on the action plans from the recent employee survey, and keep listening.

I had a great time working with American Greetings. A lot of opportunity to grow as a artist.

Former Employee - Creative Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Creative Developer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow by working on different projects

Cons

Don't have anything to say regarding Cons

Victim of the 20+ year employment purge

Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exposure to work with some really good knowledgeable people. Stable job environment if you are not ambitious.

Cons

Nepotism. Managers that are silo driven and not corporate driven. Employees with 20 years of company tenure are often purged due to pay scale and benefits. Some positions do not offer transferrable skill sets.

Need to show loyalty to long-term proven employees.

PTM

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Pick most of the time when you work.

Cons

Stuck in the dark ages, low pay rate.

First years were somewhat exciting, but after that time, the job became dead end with no prospects.

I have been working at American Greetings full-time

Pros

Great location, ok salary, earned flexibility, weekly pay, extra off days for holidays.

Cons

The company aspires to be a Google of social expression products but in reality it is going in similar direction as Kodak Eastman.......
    The company is not managed properly. The business struggles because, management is close-minded. Directors, managers, supervisors do not always have the best interest of the company as their goal. Internal competition between departments is disrupting work flow. Employees are numbers not people. A lot of the business is being moved to China.

Change the culture of the company and never stop looking for other opportunities.

TRS / PTM

Current Employee - TRS/PTM in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - TRS/PTM in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, truly just a part time job

Cons

No growth opportunity unless willing to relocate, doesn't promote from within, required to work day after major holidays

Since the PTMs and TRSs are the backbone of your compnay, trying paying a decent wage and providing growth opportunity for those whose interested. Strongly consider have upper management actually work in the field to achieve a better understanding of these positions.

Glad I got the experience working in this field but this is definitely not the job for me to stay at for years.

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Flexibility: I can go into the stores service at anytime of the day
    - Independence: I'm not in an office all day with a supervisor or co-workers breathing down my neck
    - Pay: The rate per hour is pretty good compared to retail stores and payday is every Friday
    - Travel Pay: Although you don't get paid driving from home to a store or from a store back home, you do get paid for the time traveled in between stores.
    - If you just want to make a little more money each month, or are retired and just want a job to keep you busy during the week, this is perfect for you. (However, the job can be very labor intense so you will be on your knees a lot, bending down often, reaching up, lifting heavy boxes and constantly getting paper cuts and scratches from all the paper and card board you will be working with.)

Cons

- No Consistency: Hours per week can vary greatly. One week I might have only worked 10 hours, the next week 36 and the following week 20 hours.
    - High turn around rate: So many people quit, or supervisors switch and because there's no office it's hard to know who's still working where. There's never enough people for revisions or enough people to cover for you when you're sick
    - Not enough supervisor support: One supervisor has to be in charge of hundreds of stores which of course is too much for one person. Some stores go neglected or unnoticed.
    - No growth opportunities: You can't really go up in this company. If you start as a part time merchandiser, you're pretty much going to remain that until you leave. A lot of the people in my area are middle aged women and older and have been working for the company for 5 years or more.
    - If you have allergies, DO NOT work here. You will often be in dusty stock rooms and dealing with old dusty cards and card cabinets.

Please hire more assistant supervisors or create some positions close to that. There's never enough help, a lot of things can never get done and there's too many issues to handle because its all too much for one supervisor to handle. And please do a better job of trying to hire people. There's never enough merchandisers for any support.

Only got this job to make it through the winter and am applying for other jobs daily to escape this place.

Current Employee - PT Installer - Special Projects in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - PT Installer - Special Projects in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers on my crew work well and get along together for the most part. Other than that, not many pros during my time here so far.

Cons

Upper management has ZERO idea on how to schedule the revisions or build display racks. I think when they figure out scheduling, they just have a map and throw darts at it to decide the order and locations of our next store.

Most of the time, we have a job in our area but next day we have to drive hundreds of miles to get to the next revision then be hundreds of miles in the opposite direction from our home the next day. Some days we work 4 hrs, others it turns into a fiasco of 14 hrs or more and gets very stressful to meet time limits of our schedule and the store managers we deal with.

90% of the time we are missing parts (or they are severely damaged) and have to "McGyver" the card racks and displays with random or on-site custom built parts and a whole lot of ingenuity.

They need to pay installers and merchandisers a living wage so there's less turn-over. Nothing's more frustrating than having to constantly stop what you're working on to train someone new everyday or week while you are trying to get your job done quickly end efficiently.

We have about a 50/50 shot at having a dumpster delivered before we get to our next job site. Sometimes we have to remove the old displays, separate the metal from the plastic, stack them on pallets and wrap it all up. Then we're expected to come back to break those apart and throw it in the dumpster whenever it finally arrives days later all while trying to get to your scheduled store that night on time.

And last but not least, they have a very strange way to input your hours. It's a SharePoint application that is so screwed up, you are lucky if you can even log in at all.

Good luck to anyone wanting to work here because in the division of AG I work at, it's a disaster. To partially quote Forrest Gump... "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Implement the LEAN system during revisions... actually it should be implemented company wide to save time, money, jobs and headaches from our end. Make Area Supervisors be on-site when we do revisions to get a better understanding of the work, time and problems we encounter everyday. I'm sure they can make this happen because it seems like they have a massive amount of supervisors all either passing the buck to the next guy down or ignoring our concerns altogether.

Easy workload, yet too stressful for a greeting card company.

Current Employee - Key Holder in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Westminster, MD

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy workload, friendly customers, 45% off discount

Cons

District managers are absolutely ridiculous. The company is struggling to keep afloat and is blaming the lowest form of employees for their inability to attract customers. District manager is a bully.

Calm down.

It was very old school, nothing has been updated.

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

Easy environment, Good customers, nice coworkers

Cons

Dirty, Old, Sales goals are ridiculous, too many things in the store- makes you feel claustrophobic, closing the store has too many unnecessary steps.

Update the system!!