American Greetings

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
  • Job Flexibility, Work Life balance, Lunches and organized events within the company (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, on your own, and if you love organization then this is the place for that (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Most upper management positions are held by individuals who have been with the company 20 (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of senior management promoting growth and innovation, but the business itself does neither (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Former creative developer for AG properties

Current Employee - Creative Developer  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Creative Developer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Former president (open sexual harassment, psychological bullying) left the company. Ability to work on a variety of projects. Ability to taken on many roles, being a small department. It may be considered a good place to start out to gain experience.

Cons

Nepotism. Little advancement opportunities, unless considered a favorite. Work can be tedious. Employees are often micromanaged. Changes to ideas and designs often based on subjective criteria, not what is the best idea. Not creator driven, more management driven. Revolving door of employees. Frequent layoffs. An entire AGP team was laid off, or chose to leave soon after, under current management. None of the laid off employees were brought back, and none of the people who left want to return (draw your own conclusions). Experience and talent here tends to be secondary to shallow criteria of wanting more youthful candidates with lower salaries (draw your own conclusions). If you are laid off or choose to leave, there is no other similar employment in the Cleveland Ohio.

Less micromanagement. More trust. Value diverse opinions. Less favoritism. Value and keep talented, experienced, and dedicated employees.

Good Store

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

Great Selection, friendly staff and good prices

Cons

I dont like their hours.

Good Company Fun Industry

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Creative Atmosphere, fun people, culture moving in the right direction

Cons

Like any company right now, trying to move through a tough economy

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just your average corporate company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employees and managers, cafe, starbucks, brand recognition

Cons

Sometimes chaotic atmosphere, lots of "budget" cuts and outsourcing, disconnected departments

Horrible Place to work if you actually WANT to earn the money they pay you.

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cons

People are undisciplined and/or fresh out of college. They behave like kids in the job environment often times swearing and talking about their nights out drinking. Employees would rather play ping pong or have an organized lunch paid for by the company rather than work. Deadlines were never met, projects were always over budget and they never actually followed any kind of method for project lifecycle. The company and it's employees are fractured and the various departments do not work or communicate with each other. This costs money!! Additionally they do not stop useless spending.

Standardize your project approach. Adopt one type of methodology for project delivery. Get rid of your "AG Interactive" Department completely. They don't do anything beyond what you already have staff for in your coporate IT departments. Hire more seasoned prefessionals. Look at internal spending costs such as printing signs and running chairman awards and reduce those. And for the love of GOD do a final lay-off where you clean house and then focus on rebuilding!!

Area Supervisor in Training

Former Employee - Area Supervisor In Training
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor In Training

I worked at American Greetings full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job and right now it's hard to find a job
    You get a company car, printer, laptop and office supplies
    You don't sit at a desk all day

Cons

-The mangers I worked with wanted to put me through 6 months of training in 1 month and blamed me for not learning fast enough when their plan didn't work. They hired me knowing I didn't have a sales/merchandising background.
    -Area Supervisors manage the people who stock the card shelves (merchandisers). Merchandisers quit regularly because the job requires too much for too little pay. Who would want to manage a bunch of people who are quitting or thinking about quitting?
    -I was told to eat while driving instead of taking a lunch break.
    -I interviewed in November and didn't hear back. I emailed several times, all the way into March. It turns out that the woman who interviewed me switched departments, so they had to start the whole process over for me again...in April. After one of my face-to-face interviews, I was driving out of the parking lot and the interviewer called me and wanted me to come back in to talk to her. The interview was very disorganized.
    -I was given 36hrs to decide on my offer even though I had another offer from another company. Not bad, but prospective employees might want to know this
    -I didn't get to interview with the manager I actually spent most of my time with. If I had interviewed with that person, I don't think I would have accepted my offer.
    -During training, I had to learn how to stock the cards. I would do this for 9 hours. I had to start wrapping bandaids around my fingers because I would get bloody hands from all the paper cuts.
    -This job requires you to be alone in rural areas with just a store manager and a few employees sometimes. I felt unsafe several times. Some Dollar Store managers can get creepy in the back room.
    -I'm so thankful I quit this job before I was relocated. American Greetings treats their Area Supervisors in Training terribly.
    -I no longer buy American Greetings products.

Hire more Area Supervisors because they have way too much responsibility right now. Pay the merchandisers more money and allow them more hours to do their jobs.

Former AS for AG

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Set your own schedule, meeting and working with diverse employees and clients, strong corporate structure, company perks (company car/cell phone), relocation assistance

Cons

Outside of ASIT program, not strong continuous training for AS...some geographic territories are too large (300+ accounts)...not all territories are the same, may take over territory that has major issues but only have a limited amount of time to fix.

Make sure every new AS goes through the ASIT program

I Love Working Here...

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company, would like to retire from here in 15 more years.

Cons

None. Greeting card industry is kind of slow growth right now due to Facebook, etc.

Keep up the great work.

Young culture, old methods

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vibrant workplace, very good people to work with for the most part, company encourages gaining different experience

Cons

Antiquated systems (slowly being phased out), many wasteful meetings, some favoritism in promoting

You have to love your job to stay here.

Current Employee - Keyholder/Assistant Manager  in  Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Keyholder/Assistant Manager in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at American Greetings part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy managers and work environment

Cons

Extremely low pay, no benefits package.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!