American Health Holding

Updated February 12, 2015
2.7

Paul Lavin

A Pretty Good Place to Work

I worked at American Health Holding (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly, professional and caring atmosphere

Cons

Sedentary job that made it easy to gain weight

GREAT CEO and Chairman

this is not an ethical company

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

other case managers are a friendly group. benefits are provided by Aetna so they are not bad. those are the only positive things about this company

Cons

Salary is low, and the nurses working for the parent company Aetna make thousands more a year and have lower case loads and not working over 40 hours per week. Unrealistically high case loads, required billable hrs makes working long days a weekends necessary. No support from management, and the training provided is not even close to being comprehensive.
    The only focus of this company is the billable hours. They do not care about their employees and they certainly do not care about the patients

when the billable was raised to 9 hours a day we were told it was temporary, that was long ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to the nurses and ask why morale is so low in your employees!

Not recommended, employees are very over worked and under appreciated

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager

I worked at American Health Holding (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for case managers who are looking for comprehensive type of care model

Cons

Not enough support for very heavy case loads which requires extremely long hours. The company hires you as exempt employee and expects you to carry unreasonably high case loads. Supervisors do not help when you ask

Case Manager

Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than a year)

Pros

applications on-line, easy interview process by phone, working from home, benefits provided by Aetna

Cons

billable hrs. required unrealistic for a 40 hr work week, salary not high enough for the long work weeks over 50 hrs, case loads much higher then what recruiter stated, micromanaged by supervisors, focus is on billable hours not the patients, no time for family.

Actually train you supervisors to lead with positive views instead of the constant negative harassment about billable hours. Make the salaries equal with what the nurses at Aetna make, there is a big difference that we are all now know about Reduce the case loads to let the nurses really take care of the patients like they should.

Customer service is key.

Current Employee - Case Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home, good work/life balance, supportive co-workers. No micro-managing.

Cons

Less than average compensations, mandatory billable hours, inaccurate reporting matrix's

Look at employment advancement opportunities.

Work from home Clinical Care Manager RN

Current Employee - RN Clinical Care Manager From Home in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - RN Clinical Care Manager From Home in New Albany, OH

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home- very supportive staff and supervisors. Excellent orientation- ongoing support and web based education and training. Very positive upper management staff who really think outside the box. I love this job!

Cons

Pay scale is not consistent among RNs with same experience and certifications.

Keep supporting the staff as you have always done, Consider a financial incentive for RNs who consistently exceed billing requirements .... Many go the extra mile for our customers- give a bonus for a WOW reward, or a quality score above 87% etc, since we are salaried, an extra bonus would be a wonderful treat!!

Having trouble getting others to realize what a great company this is.

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is so rewarding. You can truly have it all if you work for this company

Cons

I really don't think there are very many cons to working for this company is awesome. However it seems like we should put our company information out there so others can realize what a great team we are and want to join our team.

Publish salaries to show our competitive salaries

Don't expect to go anywhere-from a call center intake

Current Employee - Inbound Queue Associate in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Inbound Queue Associate in New Albany, OH

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you don't put in any extra effort, you will likely have downtime to study, read, or do other productive things. The starting pay is decent and since Aetna acquired us, the benefits are great.

Cons

Even if you go above and beyond you will NOT be rewarded or promoted and once they see you are intelligent, they just keep piling more work and responsibility on with no pay increase or even pats on the back. Trying to move to another department is also impossible.

Get to know your employees. Almost all upper management for the call center is out of state and it shows in your management style and the morale of the intakes. Everyone wants to leave as soon as they find out the Aetna reps in the same building doing the same job are making three dollars an hour more than you.

Most employees feel as though they are taken advantage of

Current Employee - Anonymous in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New Albany, OH

I have been working at American Health Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is through Aetna so there is good benefits. You get a raise every year. The other intakes are kind and you grow a friendly bond. It would be great for a student working part time, or someone who plans to change jobs at some point.

Cons

When you fill out the application you are under the impression that you are being hired on at Aetna. When they call you back for your second interview they then tell you that there is a different position open with less pay do you still want the job. When you agree to the job you are still under the impression you will be working for Aetna. ( I know Aetna is a large well known company that people are proud to work for) once you start you are told that you work for American Health Holding but Aetna pays you. You start with nothing! No office supplies or anything, you are told you will have everything given to you at your desk. The supplies never come. You have to wait around most of the time for pens or paper to be stocked or just bring your own supplies from home. When you ask for something to be ordered you are told that the CEO is cheap and has never supplied the office, or my all time favort "we don't ask Aetna for too much because we don't want to seem needy, if we don't ask for much and do what we are suppose to do they stay off our back. Everyone at this company would love to be working for Aetna but that just isn't the case. There is no where to go in this company, they want you to stay at the same position you are with no pay raise. If they can get away with having you do more for your cheap pay then watch out because you will be taken advantage of. There is no room to grow in this company so don't take it if your looking for something for the long run. Everyone in this company whispers and never tells the reps what is going on.

Hire some real management that live on sight. A company can not be ran with all the managers living out of the state. When you look at the supervisors, look into the amount of days they miss, the many times that they are all gone at the same time with no one to turn to when something needs taken care of. Look at the supervisors and ask yourself what they do all day for that supervisor pay. The lines can be ringing off the hook and they are not on the lines. They can leave for the day with no marks agist them because they have no one above them to watch. You might want to retrain your supervisors because the same question could be asked to each supervisor and they all have a different answer. They have no ideal what is going on in the company and they can not do the simple job of the intake rep so how are they running a business. Your employees are leaving because you treat them all very bad. Ask them how many apps they put in weekly. The pay is not good you give everyone the same raise no matter how much they do, you take advantage of every employee, you don't even supply your employees with the correct materials to work, there is no one to go to in this company when you have a problem because all the supervisors talk and before you know it the entire office knows what your complaint is. To make a company run great you need great employees to have those great employees you have to treat them like they mater and what they do matters. Without your employees try to run your company because I can garentee your supervisors couldn't do it, I don't believe they even know how to start a case let alone close one. Or maybe you can hire more people that will only want out at some time as well. I could go on for ever but I'll stop at this. Good luck!

Manager role (Didn't manage employess, though)

I worked at American Health Holding full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice co-workers and management team.

Cons

Since they are now owned by Aetna, I suspect there will be lay-offs in the near future. They also won't pay you based on your experieince. I was making $12,000 LESS than what i should have been making, based on my skills and experience. Their salaries are VERY low for the market and industry.

Create more opportunities to allow for advancement.