American Heart Association
www.heart.org Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

American Heart Association Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
American Heart Association – US – “Jump Rope for Heart Event”

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown

Nancy A. Brown

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Ability to work from home, good benefits, decent salary for non profit"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "The employee is in the drivers seat of determining their own appropriate work life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Meh...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsObviously helping with research in heart disease is satisfying, but that's where the bus stops.

ConsThey hate it when you do overtime... yet somehow expect you to achieve 48 hours into an 8 hour day.

Review from Interns Perspective

Event Planning Intern (Former Employee)
    Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsAn overall great place to work. Serves as great experience if you have any interest in working for a Non-Profit Organization. And to top it all off, you're working for such a great cause.

ConsA lot of soliciting for donations, which is expected. But it did become a bit monotonous after a few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead the office in a very cohesive manner. But at times, I felt like I was just stuck in an office cold-calling for a donation. So find more ways to get the interns involved with everyone in the office.

Donor dollars and your talents wasted!

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI loved the team I worked with five years ago. We did good things until my boss was forced out for no reason.

ConsToday, I am ashamed to be with a non-profit that gets donor dollars by claiming full credit for medical break-throughs and health programs to which it has contributed VERY little. In fact, the money raised goes to fat executive salaries, large hidden benefits and incentives, lavish entertainment and travel and other wasteful spending. The Board and Volunteer Committees must be enjoying some this excess to allow it to continue.

Senior executives rule by judging staff on appearance, clothing and how quickly they agree to support the current status quo with a smile on their face. Sadly, there are very few professional or qualified people in most positions. And, those of us who haven't drunk the kool-aid put in extensive hours in an attempt to do the work they don't - garnering jeers instead of recognition.

I've got my resume on the street and hope to leave before the pigeons come home to roost and the AHA is publicly exposed for its poor management of funds and people.

If you really wish to help fight heart disease and stroke, donate your dollars and give your talents to a research, educational or fund-raising team tied to a teaching hospital or medical university.

Advice to Senior ManagementPray.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Passionate Organization

Passion Committee Intern (Former Employee)
    Riverside, CA

ProsGain exposure to a broad range of experiences which else develop new skills and experience.

ConsIt's difficult to predict how thing will be from day to day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicate more time to working with interns to help them develop proper skills for potential job placement.

Great Coworkers, TERRIBLE BOSSES

Director (Former Employee)

ProsCo-Workers are awesome! Benefits are decent.

ConsManagement in completely skewed and myopic in their ideologies and what they consider to be 'good' work from lower level employees. A Director and or Admin could be performing at what other companies would consider to be excellent or good, but this same work will be scored at average or fair. It is almost as though management is trying to 'incentivize' the employee to work even more by giving them lower scores on their performance reviews when in fact they deserve more (at least my manager operated this way). However, there are some employees who don't even get dressed for work and come in their pajamas and these very employees are protected in some sick and twisted manner by the SVP that manages him or her.

It feels as though upper level management (Vice Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents, Executive Vice President) are completely far removed from the average worker bees. Hell should freeze over before you arrive 10 mins after 8:30AM. Management somehow loves to disregard the late nights, weekends and extra time put in by threatening EXEMPT workers to be at work before 8:30AM. As if 60-70 hours per week were not enough??!! Apparently management bonuses or salaries are completely dependent on the VPs hitting their internal GOAL WINS. These Goal Wins are self-imposed rules made up by the Heart Association to make employees work 60-70 hour work weeks at the salary of a semi decent non-profit. You will hear it over and over again as if it were some sort of creed that has been passed down to them by the EVP and SVPs.

Management likes to talk a lot about culture this and culture that--but the VPs are the very individuals that have political agendas to stick by, red tape to adhere to and their little games intoxicate the culture of the organization. If a volunteer does not want to volunteer, somehow it ends up being the employees fault, as if we had control of volunteer schedules. The moment you contradict the culture or ask for the Christmas party (yes, I said Christmas party!!!) to be called a Holiday party, management and the lower level minions will treat you as if you should be the next person in line to be executed or stoned to death.

Never enough

Senior Director of Corporate Events (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsAll the resources and support from upper management at your call...

ConsVery high figures and goals to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a reasonable and attainable goal... Let not every EVENT be a benchmark for the entire Association.

Meaningful mission though leadership is not the organization's strong point

Division Director (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to work from home, good benefits, decent salary for non profit. The families and organizations that support the AHA are often wonderful to work with and make the mission of the organization come to life.

ConsWith every pro I listed above, I can list an equal or worse con. You can work from home and even when there is bad weather, YOU MUST WORK despite the fact that the community surrounding you is not working. Also, work from home staff often feels limited in the relationships they have within the organization. It is nearly impossible to create a team mentality when you see your fellow staff once every few months.

I have been with the organization long enough to see a lot of turnover. If you do not go from zero, ie no community connections or no strong established working relationships, to 100% in a very short amount of time, the organization will give you a plan. This plan typically entails a certain time frame (often unrealistic) to hit very aggressive goals such as all previous sponsors renewed, all leadership positions filled and event hitting goal. This plan is often very difficult to obtain and thus they are "justified" in terminating you.

In two and a half years I have had three different direct supervisors (VP level) and two different SVPs. My role was vacant for one year and the volunteers left with a manager who lives hours away to somewhat lead the event. I say lead loosely. I believe that structurally there is something wrong with the leadership of the organization when there is such significant turnover. Staff is only given a raise when they have not only hit a certain dollar goal but also gained a certain score on their yearly evaluation. One co worker was fired despite being the only team member hitting fiscal goal just three months before.

I do believe there is a culture of bullying and often it is done by females due to the ratio of female leadership to male. It is often unprofessional and seemingly personality conflict based.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake step back and remember what it was like to actually be in the position of those you are leading. Remember those that you are actually working for, those that are and will be touched by cardiovascular disease and stroke.

Most of your staff wants to be successful and with strong leadership can be. Have faith in that staff to lead the market and listen when they tell you what their community needs as they are the face of that community.

Their best days are behind them

Dallas, TX

ProsHelping improve individuals health through research and educational programs funded by the organization.

ConsLittle to no opportunities for advancement, no appreciation for accomplishing goals or making contributions to the success of the organization. Upper management is overpaid and out of touch. They simply don't care about the employees or employee morale.

good for a stepping stone kind of job

Fundraising Director (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

Proshigh level volunteers, best practices, long standing/ well known mission

Consexpectations and goals are unrealistic

Advice to Senior Managementlets set some realistic and achievable goals

Love their outreach; disliked their fundraising attempts

Director (Former Employee)
    New Philadelphia, PA

ProsAn organization that truly wants to eliminate cardiovascular disease as the number one cause of death and disability.

ConsAn organization that has recently put too much emphasis on raising money than educating the American people on how to avoid heart disease or how to live a long and fruitful life after being diagnosed with any cardiovascular disease. . .too much emphasis on money; not enough on awareness building.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Heart Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown. All 202 reviews posted anonymously by American Heart Association employees.