American Heart Association Reviews

Reset
2.4
American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it) (in 13 reviews)

• Serves as great experience if you have any interest in working for a Non-Profit Organization (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 27 reviews)

• Definitely no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. American Heart Association

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

The office has been making great strides in improving the office culture. The office leadership has showed more concern for the employees and their concerns. Great growth and wonderful volunteers.

Cons

Way too many internal meetings and too many internal consultants.

Specialist

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Work life balence, full week of during Christmas and health benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic job task,lack of communication,misleading managers and the large amount of work that requires a lot of overtime without pay.

Advice to Management

Stop taking on projects with huge amounts of money without having the resources and manpower to accomplish the task. This is extremely misleading.

Interesting to say the least

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are working towards a good cause.

Cons

Bunch of micro-managers that are focused on marketing their brand and making their top notch volunteers happy, than actually developing or implementing programs that will help achieve their mission.

Advice to Management

The focus should be on developing and creating actual programs to reduce or eliminate mortality and morbidity from Heart disease and Stroke. Remember that!

Need to have their Non-profit status revoked

Former Employee - Executive Consultant/Educator/Trainer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Consultant/Educator/Trainer in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can think of none. Their management was the most back-stabbing and entrenched company that i had ever worked for.

Cons

Spent $5 million dollars on independent research over 5 years only to discover their training doesn't teach much of anything long term but yet have retained the same teaching model. Expensive trips for employees and volunteers for meetings consumed while they have children collect money for the organization. As long as they can demonstrate a minimum amount of profitability, they have been able to maintain their non-profit status.

Advice to Management

Change your educational model to one where people who pay for and take your training actually learn and retain CPR life-saving information rather than simply teach using drill-and-practice.

Worst job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Corporate Events Director in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Events Director in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For nonprofit fundraising they pay relatively well, good insurance, $150 to use towards gym membership or approved wellness expense, opportunity for yearly bonus based on your individual results as well as the over all event results

Cons

No work/life balance - always connected and often times worked 50-60 hours a week, aggressive goals that don't always fit the market you are in, lots of turn over, pressured to push companies for more money even when it is to the detriment of the relationship, very much a transaction nonprofit they don't value relationships with community partners

Worst mistake of my career, and will be yours too if you come on board

Current Employee - CMD in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - CMD in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Pay check and health insurance.

Cons

No work life balance. No training. Very high expectations of new hires, with little time for acclimation. Job misrepresentation. Demeaning and mean spirited management. Intranet is a joke. HR is a joke. VPs receive nice fat yearly bonuses. Business developers struggle with unrealistic budget goals, and thereby cannot receive a bonus if 'not to plan'.

Advice to Management

They would not listen, so why bother.

This place is weird!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work independently. Seems somewhat flexible (depending on who you report to).

Cons

No proper training AT ALL!! I wasn't even given a tour of the office. I literally walked around and introduced myself to others. No one cracks a smile AT ALL!! From phone conversations I heard (yes lots of cubicles) the staff seems under pressure to raise/collect monies from schools, individuals etc.. If you want the warm fuzzies this place isn't it. Very competitive amongst each other to see who can raise money etc. Appears more like glorified telemarketers to me. I haven't been hear long (less than 3 months) and at least 2 people a week resign. Never seen anything like it.

Advice to Management

Please please offer some sort of proper training to new hires. Also teambuilding classes are in order for this place.

CMD

Former Employee - CMD in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - CMD in DFW, TX

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The AHA funds research that leads to life saving techniques and procedures. The salary is competitive to non-profits

Cons

The senior management is very cut throat and only cares about the bottom dollar. They bring you and give you absolutely no training.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback. The turnover rate is killing you and your reputation. There has to be change!! Talk more with employees about the great things the AHA does, not just reechoing their fundraising goals for the year.

Ask about turnover

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with my immediate team. In my experience, the salary is pretty good for a nonprofit. The employee education plan is pretty good.

Cons

The best advice I can give anyone interviewing for any job here is to ask during your interview about turnover both within your team and within your department, and why. Why is this job open? How long has everyone else on your team been with AHA? Do you believe the answers you get? Know that turnover rates within some departments can be 25 percent annually or higher, and dealing with long-term employees (longer than 5 years) can be its own issue. Nothing is done about the fact that high turnover rates indicate poor management.

Sadly it’s an unengaged, uninspired and highly wasteful environment @ the National Headquarters

Former Employee - IT Manager - National Center in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager - National Center in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy for the most part – just be there in body and occasionally work

Cons

Non challenging & Non Productive - So many people are disengaged with some having side businesses or so many outside of work interest that nothing meaningful occurs

Advice to Management

I’ve witnessed Millions of hard earned donor dollars spent on IT programs, applications and initiatives over a decade that were left unused after implementation. Colleagues laugh that “working from home” consists of giving “busy” status reports and talking a lot on conference calls but in reality they work ~ 20 hours per week.

RSS Feed </> Embed