American Heart Association Reviews

• Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Area
2.5
American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Great mission, terrible internal politics

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible work schedule, generous PTO/holidays. Great mission and dedicated volunteers. Women in top leadership roles.

Cons

Power plays, territorial, disrespect of people's expertise as professionals, a lot of back biting and politics to be seen and get ahead. Not a lot of opportunities for advancement. Pay is good for nonprofit, but not competitive in market.

Advice to Management

Better training for managers. Consider a person's ability to work with people before promoting him/her to leadership role.

This place is weird!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work independently. Seems somewhat flexible (depending on who you report to).

Cons

No proper training AT ALL!! I wasn't even given a tour of the office. I literally walked around and introduced myself to others. No one cracks a smile AT ALL!! From phone conversations I heard (yes lots of cubicles) the staff seems under pressure to raise/collect monies from schools, individuals etc.. If you want the warm fuzzies this place isn't it. Very competitive amongst each other to see who can raise money etc. Appears more like glorified telemarketers to me. I haven't been hear long (less than 3 months) and at least 2 people a week resign. Never seen anything like it.

Advice to Management

Please please offer some sort of proper training to new hires. Also teambuilding classes are in order for this place.

Ask about turnover

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with my immediate team. In my experience, the salary is pretty good for a nonprofit. The employee education plan is pretty good.

Cons

The best advice I can give anyone interviewing for any job here is to ask during your interview about turnover both within your team and within your department, and why. Why is this job open? How long has everyone else on your team been with AHA? Do you believe the answers you get?
    Know that turnover rates within some departments can be 25 percent annually or higher, and dealing with long-term employees (longer than 5 years) can be its own issue. Nothing is done about the fact that high turnover rates indicate poor management.

Sadly it’s an unengaged, uninspired and highly wasteful environment @ the National Headquarters

Former Employee - IT Manager - National Center in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager - National Center in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy for the most part – just be there in body and occasionally work

Cons

Non challenging & Non Productive - So many people are disengaged with some having side businesses or so many outside of work interest that nothing meaningful occurs

Advice to Management

I’ve witnessed Millions of hard earned donor dollars spent on IT programs, applications and initiatives over a decade that were left unused after implementation. Colleagues laugh that “working from home” consists of giving “busy” status reports and talking a lot on conference calls but in reality they work ~ 20 hours per week.

Great. Excellent Coworkers

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life balance is great for me in the position I am in.

Cons

None for me right now. When I was in a different department things were run almost as an internal consulting firm which made it difficult to deliver a quality product to the in house customer.

Advice to Management

Develop clear plan for advancement

Started great, went downhill quickly

Former Employee - IT - National Center in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT - National Center in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission - saving lives

Cons

Senior Management is the worst I've experienced at any company. There is no accountability, only finger-pointing and scapegoats (at the lower levels).
    It's not what you know, it's who you know. If you do your job well, they will try to get you to do everyone else's job, and if you can't do your job - brown nose enough and you'll get promoted.
    Turn over rate is high and growing.
    Much of the outstanding efforts by the non-management employees, goes unnoticed and unappreciated; while many managers take the credit.
    Micro-management permeates this organization.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your incompetent buddies. Stop wasting donor dollars. Remember this is is a Non-Profit company and it WAS a great place to work when we had a real CEO like Cass.

Poorly run organization; Lack of Leadership and Lack of Trust -- Don't Do It!!!

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Organization closes during week of Christmas, good benefits.

Cons

Employees don't trust leadership and managers and from what I saw, it was for good reason. The organization has very few programs that it manages -- donations are primarily for education and their impact is impossible to measure. Donors would be better off supporting the hospitals in their communities. They can't point to lives they are directly impacting and their model is outdated. Organization does not understand fundraising and therefore fundraising staff "disappear" constantly.

9. Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Overall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

Cons

I worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

10. Great starter company

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great flexibility with the hours
    Short Hours
    Great friends
    Ability to work remotely
    Technology was on point

Cons

Not enough accountability for upper management when things go wrong
    Salary sucks
    Take forever for a minority to get promoted

Advice to Management

Never let your hard workers go to keep the ones who barely do anything. |
    Appreciate your employees who have shown their loyalty

An Incredible Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, Hard-working, thought provoking company who believes and lives their guiding values, American Heart University is one of the best learning and development experiences I have had in my 20 year career, excellent PTO, and time off during the week of Christmas that does not affect your PTO balance.

Cons

Little bit of red tape and bureaucracy but you would see that in most companies and in non-profits.

American Heart Association Photos