American Heart Association
www.heart.org Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

American Heart Association Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
American Heart Association – US – “Jump Rope for Heart Event”

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown

Nancy A. Brown

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Ability to work from home, good benefits, decent salary for non profit"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "The employee is in the drivers seat of determining their own appropriate work life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good and Bad, but overall ok

Event Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Prosworthwhile cause and great feeling of doing good

Conswork life balance is difficult

Advice to Senior Managementbe grateful for employees and what they do

Retention is a problem.

ProsGreat mission to communicate to market

ConsWork life balance is ridiculous to maintain

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees to prevent continued revolving door.

No training. No people development.

Regional Director and Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission.
    Spends money wisely.
    On the forefront of their issue.

ConsInsane turnover. Don't work hard to keep and promote good people. Little opportunity for advancement. Do not invest much in the individual from a training standpoint. Very little to offer your next employer in terms of developing hard, tangible skills while employed at the American Heart Association. You will fall well behind others who work at for profit companies that value the development of their workforce. This is very hard to overcome, as the longer you stay, the less competitive your resume will become. From a career development standpoint, I think I would avoid the AHA.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AHA provided great experience and knowledge in the nonprofit sector.

Executive Director (Former Employee)

ProsWorking for an amazing cause. The phenomenal volunteers and donors. The staff. Decent salary and unheard of retirement. Overall AHA is a great place to work.

ConsLack of work life balance. More staff needed for the expectations of the team. never enough time to celebrate a win.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and notice what your team is doing. Hear their plans and ideas. Stop and celebrate success rather than moving right past it to the next big expectation.

Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause.

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsOverall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

ConsI worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

Mission is Great but Employee Environment is Abusive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Southfield, MI

ProsSalary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job.
    Week off at Christmas
    Mission is exceptional
    Training is excellent and appropriate. For example, they have work buddies that help you get through the process by mentoring as well as guiding you through the process.

ConsWork-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management.
    Environment is typical of a middle school culture with favorites being promoted without regard to talent.
    Environment is abusive and morale is low.
    Upper management is not in touch with the real world. Expectations are consistently raised despite changes in the economy, expectations are high that fundraising will continue to grow at a rate which is not in keeping with the low economic environment.
    Fundraising comes across as being more important than the mission of the organization. Less resources are being allocated for public education than fundraising tools.
    Revolving door of employees. Turnover is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around and find out why employees are leaving. Cost to the organization is great when you are having to constantly train new employees. Take note of the low morale as it affects the productivity of your employees. Follow your mission more closely and the money will follow.

Worst of the Worst.....You will kill your career

Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe volunteers are very sweet. The co-workers you can trust are magnificent. The mission is honorable. The benefits are average.

ConsEverything is micro-managed! And when you follow your leader's advice 100% it blow up in your face. If the leadership actually allowed their employees to do their job, as a real corporation would, the results would be amazing. It seem as though the management would rather sabotage and set you up for failure so they have a ready scape-goat rather than help you succeed!! This is the only work environment I have ever been in that the staff cried almost daily due to the absurdity of the work and the demeaning way in which they were treated. If you do not mind ruining your reputation, sanity, and health, then by all means pursue a "career" with AHA. You will soon find the organization far to rigid yet unorganized and uncaring to make a career and the reason for the extremely high turn-over will be apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your upper management in basic people skills. If you wish to be ran like a business promote those with business degrees that actually know business models. This is by far the worst organization I have ever worked for. You need to revamp the entire system in the SWA at the very least.

Worst place I've ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Seriously, none. I have nothing positive to say.

ConsThis was by far the most political place I ever worked. Ask the wrong person the wrong work-related question and you are basically written up, verbally reprimanded, or even fired. I have never seen such exquitsitely sensitive people with such fragile egos. The building itself is a leaking bug-infested shambles, boiling hot in some areas and freezing cold in others. The break area is a joke. Parking's a joke. People in IT don't even have cubes; they hot-desk. You can't reach out to anyone for help because of the unwritten rules and structure of the place so if you're the type who likes to get things done, work elsewhere. If you're a BA or a PM, forget about having a life. If you're in fundraising, you will be screamed at on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange EVERYTHING.

Development Coordinator

Development Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThe AHA has a lot of useful resources through the American Heart University. You are able to work with a lot of people from volunteers to presidents & CEOs.

ConsIn some of the small offices there is not much room for growth. There is a high turnover rate.

close minded

Youth Market Director (Current Employee)

Proswork towards a goal that changes lives.

Consmanagement is a joke and for some reason they think they are far superior to reps.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many managers that should be out in the field helping us make these out of reach numbers.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Heart Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown. All 204 reviews posted anonymously by American Heart Association employees.