American Heart Association

Updated October 15, 2014
2.5

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work Life balance is great for me in the position I am in (in 13 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 26 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

An Incredible Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, Hard-working, thought provoking company who believes and lives their guiding values, American Heart University is one of the best learning and development experiences I have had in my 20 year career, excellent PTO, and time off during the week of Christmas that does not affect your PTO balance.

Cons

Little bit of red tape and bureaucracy but you would see that in most companies and in non-profits.

Great Company

Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Heart Association as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

As a volunteer you learn a lot. Whether it is event, pr, marketing, sales, fundraising focused there is a lot that can be learned.

Cons

Depending on the branch you are in, you have to stay close to those that can really teach you about the operations and not use you for events they consider minimal.

I love it.

Current Employee - Community Blood Pressure Coordinator in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Community Blood Pressure Coordinator in Hartford, CT

I have been working at American Heart Association (more than an year)

Pros

Helping people and reducing heart disease.

Cons

Compensation is a little bit less than I would like.

N/a

Review from Interns Perspective

Former Employee - Event Planning Intern in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Event Planning Intern in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

An overall great place to work. Serves as great experience if you have any interest in working for a Non-Profit Organization. And to top it all off, you're working for such a great cause.

Cons

A lot of soliciting for donations, which is expected. But it did become a bit monotonous after a few weeks.

Lead the office in a very cohesive manner. But at times, I felt like I was just stuck in an office cold-calling for a donation. So find more ways to get the interns involved with everyone in the office.

Great Company

Former Employee - Legal Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed working for my manager. The company atmosphere is very friendly.

Cons

Being an intern sometimes you will have to work overtime but that just comes with the job.

I loved the upper management. They made sure I was always taken care of, I wish i could intern again.

Great

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance. Opportunity for growth. Great benefits and PTO. Tons of learning opportunities. Management is awesome.

Cons

I have no cons working at the American Heart Association. Absolutely great place to work and grow. Great place if you want a career in non-profit.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Business Development Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, collaborative office, opportunity for growth and promotion.

Cons

While they stress that they want you to have Work life Balance it is impossible not to be doing reports and prep on weekends and nights.

I worked in the Seattle office. It use to be a really negative place until they transferred the ED and replaced her with an internal promotion that had just recently come to the AHA. They need to continue to promote people that bring experience from outside. Too many executives move up through the ranks and don't know anything but AHA.

This is a one of a kind organization. If you want to work for an organziation that has a true mission -> Work Here

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

The people, the purpose, the creativity, the sense of accomplishment when you finish projects. The flexible work arrangements, the week of Christmas off, the three weeks of PTO upon starting, and the overall culture is incredible

Cons

Some politics but for the most part nothing

Keep up the great work

Opportunity to make a difference every day

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The AHA has such a compelling mission and I'm reminded of the difference we make each day in the stories of our volunteers, donors and coworkers. I'm also reminded of how much more there is to do so that all of us have access to the care, education and information, research and resources needed to take care of our hearts. I'm thankful to have the chance to work alongside colleagues - volunteers and staff - who are absolutely committed, well-intentioned and focused on advancing our mission in the best way possible across the diverse communities we serve. It's far from easy but incredibly rewarding.

Cons

I think I get the comments about the fundraising goals being aggressive but, at the same time, we're setting out to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20% in just a few short years. Having lost my father to a stroke, I can't help but wonder what unfunded research projects might have given me more time with him. Feeling like there is always so much more that can be done may be a con but also extremely motivating to keep going.

Continue to help others see the difference they make and foster an environment in which they can feel great about it.

CPR/BLS Instructor

Current Employee - Instructor in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Conyers, GA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

set your own schedule for your classes

Cons

some instructor may try to under cut your prices
    can't get the certification card on the spot (a few days turnaround)

change the certification card turn around time

American Heart Association Photos