American Heart Association

www.heart.org

American Heart Association Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
American Heart Association – US – “Jump Rope for Heart Event”

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown

Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it)(in 12 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management(in 25 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate(in 8 reviews)

An Incredible Place to Work

Director (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFast-paced, Hard-working, thought provoking company who believes and lives their guiding values, American Heart University is one of the best learning and development experiences I have had in my 20 year career, excellent PTO, and time off during the week of Christmas that does not affect your PTO balance.

ConsLittle bit of red tape and bureaucracy but you would see that in most companies and in non-profits.

Great Company

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsAs a volunteer you learn a lot. Whether it is event, pr, marketing, sales, fundraising focused there is a lot that can be learned.

ConsDepending on the branch you are in, you have to stay close to those that can really teach you about the operations and not use you for events they consider minimal.

I love it.

Community Blood Pressure Coordinator (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsHelping people and reducing heart disease.

ConsCompensation is a little bit less than I would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review from Interns Perspective

Event Planning Intern (Former Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsAn overall great place to work. Serves as great experience if you have any interest in working for a Non-Profit Organization. And to top it all off, you're working for such a great cause.

ConsA lot of soliciting for donations, which is expected. But it did become a bit monotonous after a few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead the office in a very cohesive manner. But at times, I felt like I was just stuck in an office cold-calling for a donation. So find more ways to get the interns involved with everyone in the office.

Great Company

Legal Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsReally enjoyed working for my manager. The company atmosphere is very friendly.

ConsBeing an intern sometimes you will have to work overtime but that just comes with the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved the upper management. They made sure I was always taken care of, I wish i could intern again.

Great

ProsWork/life balance. Opportunity for growth. Great benefits and PTO. Tons of learning opportunities. Management is awesome.

ConsI have no cons working at the American Heart Association. Absolutely great place to work and grow. Great place if you want a career in non-profit.

Great experience.

Business Development Director (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCompetitive Salary, collaborative office, opportunity for growth and promotion.

ConsWhile they stress that they want you to have Work life Balance it is impossible not to be doing reports and prep on weekends and nights.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked in the Seattle office. It use to be a really negative place until they transferred the ED and replaced her with an internal promotion that had just recently come to the AHA. They need to continue to promote people that bring experience from outside. Too many executives move up through the ranks and don't know anything but AHA.

This is a one of a kind organization. If you want to work for an organziation that has a true mission -> Work Here

ProsThe people, the purpose, the creativity, the sense of accomplishment when you finish projects. The flexible work arrangements, the week of Christmas off, the three weeks of PTO upon starting, and the overall culture is incredible

ConsSome politics but for the most part nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Opportunity to make a difference every day

ProsThe AHA has such a compelling mission and I'm reminded of the difference we make each day in the stories of our volunteers, donors and coworkers. I'm also reminded of how much more there is to do so that all of us have access to the care, education and information, research and resources needed to take care of our hearts. I'm thankful to have the chance to work alongside colleagues - volunteers and staff - who are absolutely committed, well-intentioned and focused on advancing our mission in the best way possible across the diverse communities we serve. It's far from easy but incredibly rewarding.

ConsI think I get the comments about the fundraising goals being aggressive but, at the same time, we're setting out to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20% in just a few short years. Having lost my father to a stroke, I can't help but wonder what unfunded research projects might have given me more time with him. Feeling like there is always so much more that can be done may be a con but also extremely motivating to keep going.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to help others see the difference they make and foster an environment in which they can feel great about it.

CPR/BLS Instructor

Instructor (Current Employee) Conyers, GA

Prosset your own schedule for your classes

Conssome instructor may try to under cut your prices
    can't get the certification card on the spot (a few days turnaround)

Advice to Senior Managementchange the certification card turn around time

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!