American Heart Association Reviews

Reset
2.9
American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it) (in 13 reviews)

• Serves as great experience if you have any interest in working for a Non-Profit Organization (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 27 reviews)

• Definitely no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

Don

Former Employee - Fundraising Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Fundraising Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

Paycheck, benefits, weather in some locations.

Cons

Horrible organization! Just can't get with the program. Does everything wrong. Will die a slow death.

Advice to Management

Look at yourself!

Worst job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Corporate Events Director in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Events Director in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For nonprofit fundraising they pay relatively well, good insurance, $150 to use towards gym membership or approved wellness expense, opportunity for yearly bonus based on your individual results as well as the over all event results

Cons

No work/life balance - always connected and often times worked 50-60 hours a week, aggressive goals that don't always fit the market you are in, lots of turn over, pressured to push companies for more money even when it is to the detriment of the relationship, very much a transaction nonprofit they don't value relationships with community partners

Worst mistake of my career, and will be yours too if you come on board

Current Employee - CMD in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - CMD in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Pay check and health insurance.

Cons

No work life balance. No training. Very high expectations of new hires, with little time for acclimation. Job misrepresentation. Demeaning and mean spirited management. Intranet is a joke. HR is a joke. VPs receive nice fat yearly bonuses. Business developers struggle with unrealistic budget goals, and thereby cannot receive a bonus if 'not to plan'.

Advice to Management

They would not listen, so why bother.

CMD

Former Employee - CMD in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - CMD in DFW, TX

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The AHA funds research that leads to life saving techniques and procedures. The salary is competitive to non-profits

Cons

The senior management is very cut throat and only cares about the bottom dollar. They bring you and give you absolutely no training.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback. The turnover rate is killing you and your reputation. There has to be change!! Talk more with employees about the great things the AHA does, not just reechoing their fundraising goals for the year.

RUN, DO NOT ENTER. YOU'RE WORTH MORE THAN THIS.

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm not able to recall an admirable, positive experience but for working with Cass Wheeler. He is a man of integrity and unfortunately, his attributes did not trickle down.

Cons

Name it and employees will confirm your worst nightmare. This toxic environment continues to cause duress, unnecessary stress, supervisory discouragement and that they strive to be empowered by discrediting and not fueling the positive aspects and potential of employees.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP! Your egos are not important. Figure out and implement positive processes by working with staff not designated to managerial status. Walk in your staffs' shoes for a day, eyes opened, and perform their diverse daily routines. You are clueless that employees are berated and not empowered. IT's ALL ABOUT ME offers brief seminars relating to the preachings of the AHA. But, they are worthless. Go ahead and watch the cartoons. SERIOUSLY.

Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only redeeming quality of working for this organization, is connecting with an awesome volunteer base, who are passionate about the mission of the organization.

Cons

Too many to list. Please carefully consider coming on board with this organization. Read, and believe, the cons listed here on Glass Door. My move to AHA was the worst move of my career.

Advice to Management

Management at AHA is a joke. These women could not make it in a real corporate environment. My advise, lIsten to your staff who are knowledgable in their local market. Value employees and donors/volunteers.

Horrible. I still have nightmares.

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

There were no pros except a paycheck, albeit a small one

Cons

Management is awful. It's not about the mission it's about their bonus. They fire people without ever coaching them, and use methods like registering fake people for the heart walk to make it look like they have more walkers.

Terrible

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many I can think of.

Cons

Micromanaged at every level and terrible management.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging.

Stay away!!!!

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Great Mission but really after everyone's money.

Cons

Treats employees badly. Very high turnover. Work - life balance not there. Micro management style.

Advice to Management

Get rid of upper management and bring in new blood. Value your employees.

The Worst Career Experience in My Life!!!!!

Former Employee - Development Director
    Former Employee - Development Director

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The mission to build healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.

Cons

Where do I begin... What a complete nightmare. If you are looking for an organization that will micromanage the very life out of you to the point that you couldn't come up with an original thought or idea if you had to- this is your place! Horrible organizational structure, more drama than a daytime soap, back to back meetings, conference calls and webinars to talk about the vast amount of work that needs to be done without actually leaving you any real time to do the work, unrealistic expectations for newly hired employees, excessive amount of focus on "Best Practices" leaving no room for a plan B approach when their plan doesn't work- if the cookie cutter plan isn't working it has to be the employee- right??? More stress and pressure than any one person should have to live under on a daily basis. Reports- like doing crazy, crazy amounts of reporting- redundant, ridiculous reporting? - This is your place. GAP meetings!!! Don't get me started- these meetings are intended to berate you and pick through every single spec of the project to which you are assigned all under the guise of "trying to help you close the gap". I have personally witnessed people leaving these meetings in tears and sick to their stomach. How can this be viewed as helpful? I worked with 2-3 nice, well intentioned people who I feel blessed to know. Beyond that, it is appalling how poorly one group of people can behave and how deplorable their words and actions towards others are displayed. I'm embarrassed to say that I allowed myself to spend almost 11 months in this environment. I've worked for some really great companies and alongside some amazing people in my career. This organization is not for people who care about others and want to be surrounded with positivity in their work. I'm so thankful that I've moved on from this horrible and degrading experience.

Advice to Management

Do away with middle management, throw out the book and start over in regard to your internal structure. Understand that your internal customer can make or break you and really take a hard look at what's happening outside of Dallas, TX. Your turnover rate is horrible- shouldn't that be telling you something?

RSS Feed </> Embed