American Heart Association
www.heart.org Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

American Heart Association Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
American Heart Association – US – “Jump Rope for Heart Event”

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown

Nancy A. Brown

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Ability to work from home, good benefits, decent salary for non profit"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "The employee is in the drivers seat of determining their own appropriate work life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Senior Management is probably the biggest problem in this office"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

At first working at American Heart Association is one of the best things that I have ever decided, but THE WORST.

I worked at American Heart Association

ProsA few GENUINE employees that I have met and been introduced and I literally didn't work under them (wish had more opportunity to collaborate).

ConsThe worst. They make you feel under appreciated to the maximum. In the end, once they are done with the event and money has been raised, they don't give a $%!#. To this day, I still didn't understand, the people that I worked VERY closely with...still didn't seem to say "THANK YOU" GENUINELY and APPRECIATE for what you do overall. Would you want to work for a company like that? Past Reviews say it all...

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is really sad when I was personally PASSIONATE about working for this company and trying to GROW long term and the fact that I have been personally dealt with Heart Disease and come from a family of Cardiologists and still treat me UNJUST on a professional level makes me SICK and personally gives me "heart palpitations". I have worked for other non-profits before but AHA is the worst particularly in this division demographically. No punt intended but there are other non-profits that really are great around the world and how can you tell..."VOLUNTEER DRIVEN"...on a side note.

Advice? Hmmm...

1. What do you VALUE? You may have a mission statement, but what are your "values" in your company?
2. It's not just Who you know...but also "what you know". THINK about it.
3. MANAGE your employees overall. If you are a full time employee, part time employee, or a temporary employee or just a contract employee. Treat your employees as you would treat your best customers. Maybe working for a non-profit company would make life just a little easier, right?
4. Culture - Whats good for the company and for the customers and your donors come TOGETHER and they all become the driving force behind your mission/vision/goals and aspirations of the company. Keep on talking, but ACTION speak louder than words.

Donor dollars and your talents wasted!

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI loved the team I worked with five years ago. We did good things until my boss was forced out for no reason.

ConsToday, I am ashamed to be with a non-profit that gets donor dollars by claiming full credit for medical break-throughs and health programs to which it has contributed VERY little. In fact, the money raised goes to fat executive salaries, large hidden benefits and incentives, lavish entertainment and travel and other wasteful spending. The Board and Volunteer Committees must be enjoying some this excess to allow it to continue.

Senior executives rule by judging staff on appearance, clothing and how quickly they agree to support the current status quo with a smile on their face. Sadly, there are very few professional or qualified people in most positions. And, those of us who haven't drunk the kool-aid put in extensive hours in an attempt to do the work they don't - garnering jeers instead of recognition.

I've got my resume on the street and hope to leave before the pigeons come home to roost and the AHA is publicly exposed for its poor management of funds and people.

If you really wish to help fight heart disease and stroke, donate your dollars and give your talents to a research, educational or fund-raising team tied to a teaching hospital or medical university.

Advice to Senior ManagementPray.

Greedy and Values Employees Very Minimally

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility in schedule, colleagues/fellow employees

ConsCompensation, Office Culture, Leadership, Greedy business practices, Does not value employees

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more. Don't always treat the development staff with such a high pedestal and forget about your other incredibly important divisions. I worked in development and saw the value in many of your other programs - but apparently you (senior management) don't. You're constantly stealing money away from needed-programs to fund things like galas and walks - important fundraising endeavors, sure, but so are your other educational programs. You aren't listening to what the community and your donors want. I had the best colleagues who all had the best intentions - and all you did was pit everyone against each other to scrape by for each penny. You don't care about the underserved communities (as much as you want to think) and take money from those community programs all the time. Best colleagues in the world with the best intentions. Horrible structure and horrible senior leadership.
I also see a lot of more favorable reviews in other affiliates. All I can speak to is the Western States Affiliate, with Los Angeles as the headquarters. This Western States Affiliate conducts business in an unethical fashion (forcing non-exempt employees to fudge their time sheets so that the business does not have to pay them OT, even if that person has worked more than 8 hours, not directing donor's money in the way the donor has requested, etc.).

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here unless you need a job.

Employee (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

ProsSome of the people are nice.

ConsMany managers will play favorites allowing one employee off to deal with a personal issue while punishing another.
People will back stab you faster than a for profit company.
People are overworked and the environment is either perform or we get rid of you.
One mistake and we get rid of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and start over.

CAREER SUICIDE!

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA few years ago, I had a great boss. She made the mission of the AHA come alive leading its food program. She was an outstanding mentor and did good things. That was my best AHA experience.

ConsToday, the AHA has shockingly bad management - unprofessional, unqualified and wasteful. Senior management will have you chasing your tail in an abusive environment. You won't learn or do anything you will be proud to take to another job. Its declining reputation may keep other employers from hiring you.

It breaks my heart that donor dollars go to paying for celebrity endorsements, entertaining, travel, etc, AHA executive salaries and perks rival or surpass those you'd find in the C-Suite of Fortune 100 companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. To the Board, consider asking the AHA's leaders from several years ago to come.

Donors are a number

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for less than a year

ProsI worked at AHA for a total of 60 days and it was the worst example of true fundraising I've ever seen. I met some great people who truly care about the mission.

ConsDonors are a number and it makes people feel squicky.I had this "boss" who was ridiculous, talking about her drunken escapades and being overall unprofessional. Then this "boss" was placed on "stress leave" for a month. Now it's another month or two, and although I'm not there anymore, its annoying that the boss is posting all over Facebook about her vacation. Her stress is really a welcome thing for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake note in how quick your development turnover is. Pay attention to what the little people are telling you.

Great Pay ----worst management ever

Youth Market Director (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

ProsGood Pay, Great Benefits, Generous PTO

ConsVice Presidents are allowed to treat employees as poorly as they wish, if you have a problem with harsh, rude, personal criticism ....don't work here. There is very little (no) opportunity for advancement. Management ALWAYS wants more and more and more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees you manage are your bread and butter... check your language and the volume of your voice. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Terrible. Terrible, absolutely the worst place I have ever worked.

Quality Improvement (Former Employee)

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

ProsAlmost nothing. The benefits were decent.

ConsExtremely long hours. No employee appreciation or understanding. Very little respect for roles outside of sales. Extremely micro-managed and very high turn-over. Employee morale was very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing your employees and calling it team work.

Don't walk, RUN AWAY from this organization!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are some wonderful, hard-working employees, who believe in and support the mission of the organization; unfortunately, they aren't the ones making the decisions there...

ConsThe egregious waste of donor dollars by senior management is deplorable.

The treatment of employees, by much of the management, ranges from indifferent to malevolent. Inequity abounds and politics run rampant with privileges and promotions because of who you know, not what you know or effort put forth.

Career paths are non-existent...

Corporate Events Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

ProsMission side of the organization is great.

ConsIncome development is unorganized and dysfunctional.
Senior leadership is more interested in short term gain over long term relationship building.
Senior leaderships expectations of Executive Leadership and Board is a very heavy life and because of these expectations many bridges have been burned.
No team work
High turn over
Departments work within silos and do not cross communicate

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at those offices and regions who have had a very high turn over (5 walk directors in 5 years, 4 gala directors in 5 years) something is wrong with this picture i.e. senior leadership.
Give the field staff the tools they need to be successful.
Realign organizational flow chart to open the doors of communication between departments, offices and affiliates.
Standardize events through key consistencies and standard operational functions, so that all participants no matter the city have the same great experience.
Saving lives is not a competition stop treating it like one.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Heart Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown. All 187 reviews posted anonymously by American Heart Association employees.