American Heart Association

Updated January 30, 2015
2.7

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work Life balance is great for me in the position I am in (in 13 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 27 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for growth and development.

Current Employee - Health Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Health Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

This is great organization with qualified upper management. Being that it is a non-profit organization, business development positions are crucial to the organization. Good communication between colleagues, volunteers, and board members are necessary in all positions. So, if your interested in a position at AHA, you would definitely need to be a people person.

Cons

If I'd had to choose a con, it would have to be the range of positions available. Nearly all of the opportunities involve business development and administration.

Develop methods of reaching out to different medical practices to diversify the group of board members.

I love my job, but can see why some people are frustrated in their current roles

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

great co workers
    lots of time off (PTO and office holidays)
    amazing mission and programs
    major shift to focus more and highlight health strategies/ initiatives

Cons

following best practices can sometimes be a hindrance
    titles don't always reflect the job
    very sales oriented

be open to change and creative thinking

Stay away!!!!

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Great Mission but really after everyone's money.

Cons

Treats employees badly. Very high turnover. Work - life balance not there. Micro management style.

Get rid of upper management and bring in new blood. Value your employees.

Great for Sales People

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Great mission. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

Very sales-oriented. If you are not a salesman(woman) do not apply.

Good cause but bad management

I worked at American Heart Association (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work experience gained in my career
    Was able to work with different teams within the organization

Cons

Former supervisor micro-managed staff
    Office environment had too much drama with senior staff
    Lack of accountability towards upper management
    Lack of opportunities for professional growth and development
    No work-life balance and highly stressful assignments due to layoffs
    Salary did not compensate for work performed

Choose wisely before selecting a person in a management role
    Listen to feedback from staff to avoid high turnover
    Reprimand managers and directors when they are not doing their jobs

Sadly it’s an unengaged, uninspired and highly wasteful environment @ the National Headquarters

Former Employee - IT Manager - National Center in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager - National Center in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy for the most part – just be there in body and occasionally work

Cons

Non challenging & Non Productive - So many people are disengaged with some having side businesses or so many outside of work interest that nothing meaningful occurs

I’ve witnessed Millions of hard earned donor dollars spent on IT programs, applications and initiatives over a decade that were left unused after implementation. Colleagues laugh that “working from home” consists of giving “busy” status reports and talking a lot on conference calls but in reality they work ~ 20 hours per week.

Events and Business Operations Intern

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Gained great experience to use for a future career

Cons

Unpaid internship and no current job opportunities

Everyone is helpful and a positive, friendly work environment

The Worst Career Experience in My Life!!!!!

Former Employee - Development Director
    Former Employee - Development Director

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The mission to build healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.

Cons

Where do I begin... What a complete nightmare. If you are looking for an organization that will micromanage the very life out of you to the point that you couldn't come up with an original thought or idea if you had to- this is your place! Horrible organizational structure, more drama than a daytime soap, back to back meetings, conference calls and webinars to talk about the vast amount of work that needs to be done without actually leaving you any real time to do the work, unrealistic expectations for newly hired employees, excessive amount of focus on "Best Practices" leaving no room for a plan B approach when their plan doesn't work- if the cookie cutter plan isn't working it has to be the employee- right??? More stress and pressure than any one person should have to live under on a daily basis. Reports- like doing crazy, crazy amounts of reporting- redundant, ridiculous reporting? - This is your place. GAP meetings!!! Don't get me started- these meetings are intended to berate you and pick through every single spec of the project to which you are assigned all under the guise of "trying to help you close the gap". I have personally witnessed people leaving these meetings in tears and sick to their stomach. How can this be viewed as helpful? I worked with 2-3 nice, well intentioned people who I feel blessed to know. Beyond that, it is appalling how poorly one group of people can behave and how deplorable their words and actions towards others are displayed. I'm embarrassed to say that I allowed myself to spend almost 11 months in this environment. I've worked for some really great companies and alongside some amazing people in my career. This organization is not for people who care about others and want to be surrounded with positivity in their work. I'm so thankful that I've moved on from this horrible and degrading experience.

Do away with middle management, throw out the book and start over in regard to your internal structure. Understand that your internal customer can make or break you and really take a hard look at what's happening outside of Dallas, TX. Your turnover rate is horrible- shouldn't that be telling you something?

Great Organization that Demands Results

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

AHA is a top-notch organization that cares about its employees. If you are results-driven and upwardly mobile, working here could be a good choice for a satisfying career in public health. The organization is highly regarded, effective, well-branded and has many smart, talented and committed employees. The perks are many and the environment is positive, demanding and rewards success.

Cons

Not a con, but this is a complex, very large not-for-profit and can be difficult for the newcomer to navigate,

Totally unrealistic business model

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility if working out in the field. Week off at Christmas. Good PTO . AHA does wonderful work in advocacy and education changing lives every day.

Cons

Recent study shows a 75% turnover rate in the first 6 months of employment. Intense pressure placed upon fundraising staff routinely causing health problems and family distress. Running joke that AHA works to reduce heart disease EXCEPT for it's own staff. Very sad but true. This is top down poor management with little regard for the personal lives of its employees. AHA does such important work, too bad this is the reality of the workplace.

Trust your fundraisng professionals and cut back on the micromanagement. Give your employees more credit and respect unless given good reason not to.

American Heart Association Photos