American Heart Association

www.heart.org

American Heart Association Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
American Heart Association – US – “Jump Rope for Heart Event”

American Heart Association – US – “Jump Rope for Heart Event”

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown

Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it) (in 12 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 25 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization to work for.

Development Director (Former Employee)

Pros- lots of 'corporate' support from regional and national HQ
    - great organization with a notable mission and reputation

Cons- very aggressive fundraising goals, difficult to achieve
    - lots of 'after hours' work
    - no separate 'sick' time (aka need to use 'vacation' time when sick)

Advice to Senior ManagementFundraising goals are handed down from management with (seemingly) little intelligence from those in the field. Unrealistic goals can diminish motivation of employees that already work tirelessly for the mission.

Horrible place to work

ProsGood mission and creative fundraising events. Good benefits and large company .

ConsI have no respect for this organization regarding the work environment. There is no room for creativity and management has too much control with no checks and balances.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like you would want to be treated. Supervisors have too much control and no one watching their performances.

Quite miserable.

Administrative Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLife-saving mission and great volunteers/survivors who are compelled to do great work.

ConsThere is no upward mobility for staff in support positions. You will rarely be referred to by your name as "admin" is sufficient. If you have a manager who focuses on your professional development, you are in the minority. The mission is great but the Chicago office is a death trap. Turnover is a serious issue - in my 16 months at the organization, I saw over 20 staff members rotate in and out of the office. Don't expect any support or understanding from HR. Getting a week off at Christmas means that you do not get many other holidays off. Expect the rug to be pulled out from under you at any moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage and value your employees - even the ones that don't raise money. Understand that a diverse workplace is not optional, especially in a city like Chicago. Your entire corporate development team should not resemble a sorority house at a college or university.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No training. No people development.

Regional Director and Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission.
    Spends money wisely.
    On the forefront of their issue.

ConsInsane turnover. Don't work hard to keep and promote good people. Little opportunity for advancement. Do not invest much in the individual from a training standpoint. Very little to offer your next employer in terms of developing hard, tangible skills while employed at the American Heart Association. You will fall well behind others who work at for profit companies that value the development of their workforce. This is very hard to overcome, as the longer you stay, the less competitive your resume will become. From a career development standpoint, I think I would avoid the AHA.

Good and Bad, but overall ok

Event Coordinator (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosworthwhile cause and great feeling of doing good

Conswork life balance is difficult

Advice to Senior Managementbe grateful for employees and what they do

Mission is Great but Employee Environment is Abusive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsSalary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job.
    Week off at Christmas
    Mission is exceptional
    Training is excellent and appropriate. For example, they have work buddies that help you get through the process by mentoring as well as guiding you through the process.

ConsWork-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management.
    Environment is typical of a middle school culture with favorites being promoted without regard to talent.
    Environment is abusive and morale is low.
    Upper management is not in touch with the real world. Expectations are consistently raised despite changes in the economy, expectations are high that fundraising will continue to grow at a rate which is not in keeping with the low economic environment.
    Fundraising comes across as being more important than the mission of the organization. Less resources are being allocated for public education than fundraising tools.
    Revolving door of employees. Turnover is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around and find out why employees are leaving. Cost to the organization is great when you are having to constantly train new employees. Take note of the low morale as it affects the productivity of your employees. Follow your mission more closely and the money will follow.

Worst place I've ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Seriously, none. I have nothing positive to say.

ConsThis was by far the most political place I ever worked. Ask the wrong person the wrong work-related question and you are basically written up, verbally reprimanded, or even fired. I have never seen such exquitsitely sensitive people with such fragile egos. The building itself is a leaking bug-infested shambles, boiling hot in some areas and freezing cold in others. The break area is a joke. Parking's a joke. People in IT don't even have cubes; they hot-desk. You can't reach out to anyone for help because of the unwritten rules and structure of the place so if you're the type who likes to get things done, work elsewhere. If you're a BA or a PM, forget about having a life. If you're in fundraising, you will be screamed at on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange EVERYTHING.

Worst of the Worst.....You will kill your career

Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe volunteers are very sweet. The co-workers you can trust are magnificent. The mission is honorable. The benefits are average.

ConsEverything is micro-managed! And when you follow your leader's advice 100% it blow up in your face. If the leadership actually allowed their employees to do their job, as a real corporation would, the results would be amazing. It seem as though the management would rather sabotage and set you up for failure so they have a ready scape-goat rather than help you succeed!! This is the only work environment I have ever been in that the staff cried almost daily due to the absurdity of the work and the demeaning way in which they were treated. If you do not mind ruining your reputation, sanity, and health, then by all means pursue a "career" with AHA. You will soon find the organization far to rigid yet unorganized and uncaring to make a career and the reason for the extremely high turn-over will be apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your upper management in basic people skills. If you wish to be ran like a business promote those with business degrees that actually know business models. This is by far the worst organization I have ever worked for. You need to revamp the entire system in the SWA at the very least.

Retention is a problem.

ProsGreat mission to communicate to market

ConsWork life balance is ridiculous to maintain

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees to prevent continued revolving door.

Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsOverall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

ConsI worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!