American Heart Association

Updated January 30, 2015
2.7

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work Life balance is great for me in the position I am in (in 13 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 27 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Totally unrealistic business model

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility if working out in the field. Week off at Christmas. Good PTO . AHA does wonderful work in advocacy and education changing lives every day.

Cons

Recent study shows a 75% turnover rate in the first 6 months of employment. Intense pressure placed upon fundraising staff routinely causing health problems and family distress. Running joke that AHA works to reduce heart disease EXCEPT for it's own staff. Very sad but true. This is top down poor management with little regard for the personal lives of its employees. AHA does such important work, too bad this is the reality of the workplace.

Trust your fundraisng professionals and cut back on the micromanagement. Give your employees more credit and respect unless given good reason not to.

One of the worst experience!

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

Co-workers were supportive. Mission centered, great focus with Health departments.

Cons

More training for Advocacy in the western area. The supervisor is hands off but when somethings goes wrong he is quick to blame. He will never say it to your face, you'll learn from others.

Listen to your employees.

The Worst Career Experience in My Life!!!!!

Former Employee - Development Director
    Former Employee - Development Director

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The mission to build healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.

Cons

Where do I begin... What a complete nightmare. If you are looking for an organization that will micromanage the very life out of you to the point that you couldn't come up with an original thought or idea if you had to- this is your place! Horrible organizational structure, more drama than a daytime soap, back to back meetings, conference calls and webinars to talk about the vast amount of work that needs to be done without actually leaving you any real time to do the work, unrealistic expectations for newly hired employees, excessive amount of focus on "Best Practices" leaving no room for a plan B approach when their plan doesn't work- if the cookie cutter plan isn't working it has to be the employee- right??? More stress and pressure than any one person should have to live under on a daily basis. Reports- like doing crazy, crazy amounts of reporting- redundant, ridiculous reporting? - This is your place. GAP meetings!!! Don't get me started- these meetings are intended to berate you and pick through every single spec of the project to which you are assigned all under the guise of "trying to help you close the gap". I have personally witnessed people leaving these meetings in tears and sick to their stomach. How can this be viewed as helpful? I worked with 2-3 nice, well intentioned people who I feel blessed to know. Beyond that, it is appalling how poorly one group of people can behave and how deplorable their words and actions towards others are displayed. I'm embarrassed to say that I allowed myself to spend almost 11 months in this environment. I've worked for some really great companies and alongside some amazing people in my career. This organization is not for people who care about others and want to be surrounded with positivity in their work. I'm so thankful that I've moved on from this horrible and degrading experience.

Do away with middle management, throw out the book and start over in regard to your internal structure. Understand that your internal customer can make or break you and really take a hard look at what's happening outside of Dallas, TX. Your turnover rate is horrible- shouldn't that be telling you something?

Worthy cause

Former Employee - Director, Cultural Initiatives in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Director, Cultural Initiatives in Honolulu, HI

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're interested in making a difference in our communities, this is a great organization dedicated to heart and stroke research and awareness.

Cons

The organization presses hard on the fund raising aspect; sometimes to the detriment to their reputation. Would be better suited if they were a little less aggressive.

Allow divisions to collaborate and intersect, rather than silos that need to compete against each other.

The Organization Does Great Work

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

challenged daily, very strong company growth in exciting new areas

Cons

Fundraising is front and center. Not enough acknowledgement of the progress in health AHA makes every day.

great

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Riverside, CA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good organization, great time off

Cons

bad organization in terms of actual organization

Great organization!

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

Non profit, doing good work, great benefits.

Cons

Goals shouldn't be the driving force behind a non profit.

Goals shouldn't be the driving force behind a non profit.

Many great benefits and causes but appropriate management staff is lacking.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The saving lives cause is outstanding. Benefits were wonderful. Volunteers were incredible to work with and very caring. Community involvement is key.

Cons

High turnover rate. Lots of micro managing. Lack of caring managers when it comes to work life balance. Lack of respect. Too much back stabbing. Very petty and toxic work environment.

Listen to everyone not just management. Not everything is how it is presented.

Mission Motivated

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Hard to argue with the mission to create healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
    Good pay for a nonprofit, great benefits and a lot of flexibility in terms of scheduling and working remotely.

Cons

Sometimes Development (fund raising) is emphasized to the detriment of mission.
    In my current position, I travel much more than I would like.
    We're doing great work but need more staff.

Fewer meetings
    More health strategies staff
    Don't forget to seek input from the field

Life saving to others but not employees

Former Employee - Development Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Development Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, great cause, great volunteers and survivors. Good online training and sales training.

Cons

Management never considers the circumstances, never motivates, never looks at how a real comoany manages and won't try new things.

Listen to your next level down. Look outside your walls for better ways to manage...

American Heart Association Photos