American Heart Association

Updated September 15, 2014
2.6

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it) (in 12 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 25 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Development Coordinator

Current Employee - Development Coordinator
    Current Employee - Development Coordinator

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

The AHA has a lot of useful resources through the American Heart University. You are able to work with a lot of people from volunteers to presidents & CEOs.

Cons

In some of the small offices there is not much room for growth. There is a high turnover rate.

Trust me ... RUN!!!

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Time off for Christmas if you can make it that long. The time will be used for much needed metal and emotional stress.

Cons

You name it!!! MANAGEMENT, Management and Did I say mention Management! These are individuals that would never make it in a real company or organization with a true sense of what not to do when you are a manager. If someone is promoted to a management position it's because they literally scratched and clawed their way up. Beating down their employees is given a "high-five" and honorable mention.

There is no advice that management can have that can cure this illness. Management is the problem and they see no need to change themselves. My advice is to National Center and to donors. Please take a look at their management when it comes to their affiliates, this is disturbing. Donors I do believe this is a good cause but the money you are spending is supporting an organization that is creating heart disease. HELP!!!!

Great starter company

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great flexibility with the hours
    Short Hours
    Great friends
    Ability to work remotely
    Technology was on point

Cons

Not enough accountability for upper management when things go wrong
    Salary sucks
    Take forever for a minority to get promoted

Never let your hard workers go to keep the ones who barely do anything. |
    Appreciate your employees who have shown their loyalty

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

close minded

Current Employee - Youth Market Director
    Current Employee - Youth Market Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work towards a goal that changes lives.

Cons

management is a joke and for some reason they think they are far superior to reps.

too many managers that should be out in the field helping us make these out of reach numbers.

Such a disappointment...

Former Employee - Director  in  Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Northeast, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great mission, great co-workers, holidays and PTO

Cons

For the first 2 months or so, I literally thought it was too good to be true, but then things started to change. The job had a 90 degree learning curve, yet within a couple of months I was expected to be able to do all of it (and there was WAY too much) perfectly and without assistance. When I expressed my concerns, I was told I was the problem and that the workload would only increase. Management gave mixed and unclear guidance regarding the tasks/assignments, and I could apparently never do anything right because of this. If I asked for clarification, I was met with irritation and told I should just know, yet when I made assumptions I would get disciplined and asked why I didn't seek clarification. I started going in early and staying late, as well as working weekends and holidays (and even my PTO birthday) to try and get everything done, but it was never enough. I literally stopped eating and sleeping in my attempts to please them in both quantity and quality, and it still wasn't enough. It reached a point where I had become incredibly depressed, anxious and unhappy all the time, and had lost over 10 pounds due to not eating, and I just had to get out. Honestly, I felt like 2 people could've been doing my job full-time and they would both be stressed out and overwhelmed. Please PLEASE, if you're thinking about applying or accepting a job offer from the AHA, please don't make your decision lightly, and read these reviews carefully before making up your mind.

An Incredible Place to Work

Current Employee - Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, Hard-working, thought provoking company who believes and lives their guiding values, American Heart University is one of the best learning and development experiences I have had in my 20 year career, excellent PTO, and time off during the week of Christmas that does not affect your PTO balance.

Cons

Little bit of red tape and bureaucracy but you would see that in most companies and in non-profits.

Ridiculous- no leadership, no compassion

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting survivors and knowing they were grateful for support, the team was very supportive of peers

Cons

long hours, very sales driven environment, everything was a numbers game, real relationship building and fundraising did not exist, leadership was inefficient and only concerned with their bottom line

pay attention to your mid-level managers and think more about who you hire in leadership

Probably the worst mistake in my professional career-RUN don't walk away.

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great volunteers, worthy mission, good pay for a non profit, great PTO and benefits

Cons

They hours are unbelievable, no work life balance, "mean girl" mentality management style, micromanaging atmosphere. There is no growth potential. There is never enough and the company has become greed driven.

Stop looking for more and more. Appreciate your people more, appreciate your volunteers more, stop booking lake side rooms for management meetings and start putting the money towards the mission. Listen to your staff, many have great ideas and concepts. Stop taking them for granted and see how low your attrition can go! When people reach out and want to do more, stay longer, and work with you, listen to them.

Too much going on at once!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

Pros

Extreme flexibility
    Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it)
    Good compensation for a non-profit organization

Cons

Training is non-existent
    Unorganized leadership
    Overworked employees

Consider better management and more resources for employees.

Great Company

Current Employee - Intern  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Heart Association as an intern for more than a year

Pros

As a volunteer you learn a lot. Whether it is event, pr, marketing, sales, fundraising focused there is a lot that can be learned.

Cons

Depending on the branch you are in, you have to stay close to those that can really teach you about the operations and not use you for events they consider minimal.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!