American Heart Association Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
252 reviews filtered by

Great mission. Poorly run organization from the top down. Tremendous efforts will go unrecognized.

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Knowing the work you do for the mission is saving lives, providing training, and advancing research. Flexibility, sometimes. Week of Christmas off.

Cons

Very poor leadership. Outdated business models. Micro management without acknowledgement of successes, especially of those in support roles. Closed mindedness to change and new concepts in a constantly changing world. If you do have a great idea or accomplishment noticed, your manager will likely have no problem taking the credit.

Try out the attitude of gratitude. Be thankful, genuine, and trustworthy leaders.

2. It was a valuable experience overall

Current Employee - Development Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Development Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The role is extremely challenging, each person is responsible for managing a multiple county territory, with little support. The mission support is personally rewarding, but the AHA / ASA doesn't like to invite new ideas to the table.

Cons

The compensation is lower than if one worked in a private business sector, but that's one of the cons of working for a non-profit. Mircro-managing seems to be rampant in all divisions.

3. Interested in educating our communities.

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great organization with positive mission and values.

Cons

Salary structure and opportunities are limited.

Started great, went downhill quickly

Former Employee - IT - National Center in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT - National Center in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission - saving lives

Cons

Senior Management is the worst I've experienced at any company. There is no accountability, only finger-pointing and scapegoats (at the lower levels).
    It's not what you know, it's who you know. If you do your job well, they will try to get you to do everyone else's job, and if you can't do your job - brown nose enough and you'll get promoted.
    Turn over rate is high and growing.
    Much of the outstanding efforts by the non-management employees, goes unnoticed and unappreciated; while many managers take the credit.
    Micro-management permeates this organization.

Stop promoting your incompetent buddies. Stop wasting donor dollars. Remember this is is a Non-Profit company and it WAS a great place to work when we had a real CEO like Cass.

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Director of Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, nationally the organization is wonderful, Great mission to save lives.

Cons

On a local level the management is terrible, they micro-manage you and do not trust you to do the job you were hired to complete. There is zero guidance or support.

7. Business development for fundraising

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

Pros

opportunity for advancement and growth

Cons

too much red tape and too many meetings

less meetings

8. A great company to work for with a true mission and purpose.

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

Growth opportunities and passionate volunteers.

Cons

Highly focused on the dollar.

Great company to work for if you have a passion for the mission.

Pros

Great for moms. I've been given so much flexibility in scheduling and being able to work from home if the little ones are sick or leaving early for recitals, etc. The work is 24/7 so it will always be on your mind but I have no idea how I would swing "working mom" without the flexibility they provide. The pay is good, I'm sure corporate would be better pay but the flexibility and treating you like an adult are worth a lot in my book. The mission is also amazing so it's easy to be passionate about what you do. They like to promote from within and work to create a career map with you to get where you want to go. I know several that started as administrative associates that are now Directors, Senior Directors and VPs.

Cons

The goals are ambitious, and the workload can be overwhelming at times. The emails never stop and it's on your mind all the time if you let it.

10. Video Intern

Former Intern - Video Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Intern - Video Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

leadership, experience, great manager, flexible hours, no pay but not surprised

Cons

small company in my city

you are wonderful!

Work/Life balance a joke

Former Employee - Youth Market Director
    Former Employee - Youth Market Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supporting the mission of saving lives through education and programs.

Cons

Little to no work life balance as they claim to have it but youou better make sure you are "saying" the right things because there are a lot of cliques and only even if you are doing an amazing job if you are not in the clique, things will not be fun. Tons of politics, skewing information, misleading donors to get management off your back so they can meet their goals to bonus. Management is flavor of the day and promoted off how well the clique likes you and if you had good numbers for at least one campaign season, no matter what you had to do to get those number.

American Heart Association Photos