American Heart Association

Updated December 19, 2014
2.6

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work Life balance is great for me in the position I am in (in 13 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 27 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Heart Association as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

As a volunteer you learn a lot. Whether it is event, pr, marketing, sales, fundraising focused there is a lot that can be learned.

Cons

Depending on the branch you are in, you have to stay close to those that can really teach you about the operations and not use you for events they consider minimal.

Review from Interns Perspective

Former Employee - Event Planning Intern in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Event Planning Intern in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

An overall great place to work. Serves as great experience if you have any interest in working for a Non-Profit Organization. And to top it all off, you're working for such a great cause.

Cons

A lot of soliciting for donations, which is expected. But it did become a bit monotonous after a few weeks.

Lead the office in a very cohesive manner. But at times, I felt like I was just stuck in an office cold-calling for a donation. So find more ways to get the interns involved with everyone in the office.

Great Coworkers, TERRIBLE BOSSES

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Co-Workers are awesome! Benefits are decent.

Cons

Management in completely skewed and myopic in their ideologies and what they consider to be 'good' work from lower level employees. A Director and or Admin could be performing at what other companies would consider to be excellent or good, but this same work will be scored at average or fair. It is almost as though management is trying to 'incentivize' the employee to work even more by giving them lower scores on their performance reviews when in fact they deserve more (at least my manager operated this way). However, there are some employees who don't even get dressed for work and come in their pajamas and these very employees are protected in some sick and twisted manner by the SVP that manages him or her.

It feels as though upper level management (Vice Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents, Executive Vice President) are completely far removed from the average worker bees. Hell should freeze over before you arrive 10 mins after 8:30AM. Management somehow loves to disregard the late nights, weekends and extra time put in by threatening EXEMPT workers to be at work before 8:30AM. As if 60-70 hours per week were not enough??!! Apparently management bonuses or salaries are completely dependent on the VPs hitting their internal GOAL WINS. These Goal Wins are self-imposed rules made up by the Heart Association to make employees work 60-70 hour work weeks at the salary of a semi decent non-profit. You will hear it over and over again as if it were some sort of creed that has been passed down to them by the EVP and SVPs.

Management likes to talk a lot about culture this and culture that--but the VPs are the very individuals that have political agendas to stick by, red tape to adhere to and their little games intoxicate the culture of the organization. If a volunteer does not want to volunteer, somehow it ends up being the employees fault, as if we had control of volunteer schedules. The moment you contradict the culture or ask for the Christmas party (yes, I said Christmas party!!!) to be called a Holiday party, management and the lower level minions will treat you as if you should be the next person in line to be executed or stoned to death.

Could have been great with better local market leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lively, Fun, Very professional organization, great branding, great mission, very health conscious, excellent health insurance with 401K and company retirement plan.

Cons

Too much nepotism at local level, not very diverse, fundraising trumps mission frequently, local fundraisers do not embrace multiculturalism well and frequently fail to recommend minorities for higher level volunteer boards unless thousands of dollars are donated

Require Market Directors to switch markets after a set number of years and multiculturalism and diversity must also be sincerely embraced by the Regional VP.

Meh...

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Obviously helping with research in heart disease is satisfying, but that's where the bus stops.

Cons

They hate it when you do overtime... yet somehow expect you to achieve 48 hours into an 8 hour day.

Great mission, poor leadership.

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The AHA has some incredible volunteers and donors. Unfortunately the culture does not promote stewarding and cultivating them properly.

Cons

The AHA is a high pressure sales environment that has lost touch with the mission. If you are looking for the warm and fuzzies, this is NOT the place for you.

Talk about the mission more and put more of an emphasis on the people than the money.

Donor dollars and your talents wasted!

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the team I worked with five years ago. We did good things until my boss was forced out for no reason.

Cons

Today, I am ashamed to be with a non-profit that gets donor dollars by claiming full credit for medical break-throughs and health programs to which it has contributed VERY little. In fact, the money raised goes to fat executive salaries, large hidden benefits and incentives, lavish entertainment and travel and other wasteful spending. The Board and Volunteer Committees must be enjoying some this excess to allow it to continue.

Senior executives rule by judging staff on appearance, clothing and how quickly they agree to support the current status quo with a smile on their face. Sadly, there are very few professional or qualified people in most positions. And, those of us who haven't drunk the kool-aid put in extensive hours in an attempt to do the work they don't - garnering jeers instead of recognition.

I've got my resume on the street and hope to leave before the pigeons come home to roost and the AHA is publicly exposed for its poor management of funds and people.

If you really wish to help fight heart disease and stroke, donate your dollars and give your talents to a research, educational or fund-raising team tied to a teaching hospital or medical university.

Pray.

good for a stepping stone kind of job

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Orlando, FL

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

high level volunteers, best practices, long standing/ well known mission

Cons

expectations and goals are unrealistic

lets set some realistic and achievable goals

Passionate Organization

Former Employee - Passion Committee Intern in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Passion Committee Intern in Riverside, CA

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Gain exposure to a broad range of experiences which else develop new skills and experience.

Cons

It's difficult to predict how thing will be from day to day.

Dedicate more time to working with interns to help them develop proper skills for potential job placement.

Never enough

Former Employee - Senior Director of Corporate Events in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Corporate Events in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the resources and support from upper management at your call...

Cons

Very high figures and goals to achieve

Establish a reasonable and attainable goal... Let not every EVENT be a benchmark for the entire Association.

American Heart Association Photos