American Heart Association

Updated September 15, 2014
2.6

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it) (in 12 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 25 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The AHA has a very strong mission

Cons

lack of collaboration in some areas

Great experience.

Former Employee - Business Development Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Salary, collaborative office, opportunity for growth and promotion.

Cons

While they stress that they want you to have Work life Balance it is impossible not to be doing reports and prep on weekends and nights.

I worked in the Seattle office. It use to be a really negative place until they transferred the ED and replaced her with an internal promotion that had just recently come to the AHA. They need to continue to promote people that bring experience from outside. Too many executives move up through the ranks and don't know anything but AHA.

CAREER SUICIDE!

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A few years ago, I had a great boss. She made the mission of the AHA come alive leading its food program. She was an outstanding mentor and did good things. That was my best AHA experience.

Cons

Today, the AHA has shockingly bad management - unprofessional, unqualified and wasteful. Senior management will have you chasing your tail in an abusive environment. You won't learn or do anything you will be proud to take to another job. Its declining reputation may keep other employers from hiring you.

It breaks my heart that donor dollars go to paying for celebrity endorsements, entertaining, travel, etc, AHA executive salaries and perks rival or surpass those you'd find in the C-Suite of Fortune 100 companies.

Resign. To the Board, consider asking the AHA's leaders from several years ago to come.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've learned so much but at what cost?

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The volunteers are amazing, I feel like I am making a huge impact every day. The pay is competitive, the retirement plan and benefits are amazing. Flexible work environment, great team mentality in my office, fantastic colleagues. I've learned a lot in my position and was able to move into management.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, the pressure to perform is intensive, high turn over for development staff. There is a general feeling that the health side of the house doesn't do as much work or have as much pressure as the development side. It is really stressful. Senior leadership forces field staff to be aggressive and it alienates local volunteers. The AHA fails to see the big picture and what long term cultivation can do for our local market and therefore we are leaving money on the table to achieve immediate goals.

I am at a loss. You do so much to give the perception that you care about staff. Wellness programs, work-life balance (which I am sure some employees have, but I am unable to attain due to my work load), training, flexibility, but ultimately, the churn & burn environment goes to show that the AHA doesn't care. I feel like I've aged 10 years in the 2 I've been here. The stress is overwhelming. The only reason I stay is due to lack of opportunities in my market and I love my volunteers and I have a personal tie to the mission. The fact that in the last month alone, our affiliate that employs only 200 employees had over 10% of positions resign is telling. The fact that the only ones leaving this organization are the ones in the development department is telling.

Great company, really cares about their employees and the work they're doing

Former Employee - Special Events Administrator  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Special Events Administrator in Richmond, VA

I worked at American Heart Association part-time for more than a year

Pros

Interacting with many non-profits, patients, survivors and community members. Interesting planning work because it engages the community more than other well-known non-profits. Helping to plan the community events was my favorite part because we were spreading the word about heart disease

Cons

Sometimes the work can be tedious as far as the administrative stuff goes. I was disappointed in the lack of autonomy I was given because I was told the position would really be mine to create. Also, working in a satellite office was frustrating because obviously there is less funding than at HQ in Washington D.C.

Horrible, Abusive, Neglectful Situation - Don't Work Here Unless You're Desperate to Fail

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are good; PTO is good; week off between Christmas and New Year's is awesome.

Cons

Low, low, LOW pay, no rewards no matter how hard you work. In general, if you don't mind being berated publicly for mistakes, having the f-bomb thrown your way a time or two for something that went wrong, when your own director/manager/sr manager won't take responsibility as well, or TOLD to give money, participate in the HeartWalk, etc., you'll probably fit in just fine. But don't be fooled. This organization is not about the Mission - it's all about money and how the executives/senior managers can spend it! I was so fooled into believing I was making a good choice!

Grow up! Get rid of people you think hung the moon! They didn't. AHA is not supposed to be about the "bottom dollar" for Senior Managers. Tell them to stop showing pictures of all the great places they traveled "on company business." We all know better.

Major culture change with new CEO

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful cause, mission, important work. Great company for women and working moms. Competitive salary in non-profit world and top-notch benefits.

Cons

Negative, cut-throat culture since change in CEO and multiple EVPs. Zero work-life balance. Culture is based in secrecy and a "lead by fear" mentality.

Go back to the positive, uplifting, Cass Wheeler days. Make people feel good about working so hard in a non-profit. Rally employees, invest in them, don't discard and discount people so quickly. I have seen countless GREAT employees pushed out of jobs without a real effort made to coach them. Remember even good staff need a learning curve and focus on long term gains instead of short term quick wins.

Good, but why I no longer want to work non-profit

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people, somewhat relaxed atmosphere, coffee and water provided, good mission and goals, occasional opportunities to contribute your own input and creativity, chance to meet people who trying to improve the local community.

Cons

Few opportunities to learn outside of the grunt work, no pay for lots of hours, outdated technology. As a non-profit "run by volunteers," there is a lot of emphasis on soliciting people until they donate/volunteer.

I know you are considered a volunteer-driven non-profit, but consider paying your interns. Most are college students looking for experience, but, if you're like me, you'll get burnt out early from the hours expected on top of having classes and another job (to pay for the expenses from this internship).

Donors are a number

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at AHA for a total of 60 days and it was the worst example of true fundraising I've ever seen. I met some great people who truly care about the mission.

Cons

Donors are a number and it makes people feel squicky.I had this "boss" who was ridiculous, talking about her drunken escapades and being overall unprofessional. Then this "boss" was placed on "stress leave" for a month. Now it's another month or two, and although I'm not there anymore, its annoying that the boss is posting all over Facebook about her vacation. Her stress is really a welcome thing for the employees.

Take note in how quick your development turnover is. Pay attention to what the little people are telling you.

Opportunity to make a difference every day

Pros

The AHA has such a compelling mission and I'm reminded of the difference we make each day in the stories of our volunteers, donors and coworkers. I'm also reminded of how much more there is to do so that all of us have access to the care, education and information, research and resources needed to take care of our hearts. I'm thankful to have the chance to work alongside colleagues - volunteers and staff - who are absolutely committed, well-intentioned and focused on advancing our mission in the best way possible across the diverse communities we serve. It's far from easy but incredibly rewarding.

Cons

I think I get the comments about the fundraising goals being aggressive but, at the same time, we're setting out to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20% in just a few short years. Having lost my father to a stroke, I can't help but wonder what unfunded research projects might have given me more time with him. Feeling like there is always so much more that can be done may be a con but also extremely motivating to keep going.

Continue to help others see the difference they make and foster an environment in which they can feel great about it.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!