American Heart Association

Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
  • Work Life balance is great for me in the position I am in (in 13 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management (in 27 reviews)

• Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the cause and the brand, struggled with the hierarchy and politics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is an incredible brand, with great events and passionate volunteers. Most of the employees really care about what they do. The organization gives you the chance to learn and develop different skills.

Cons

This organization suffers from a command and control management style. Some senior executives have been grandfathered in and promotion at the top seems to be based on seniority.

Become more flat and transparent. Incorporate more practitioners of holistic health and join WorldBlu to become a democratic workplace.

Greedy and Values Employees Very Minimally

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, colleagues/fellow employees

Cons

Compensation, Office Culture, Leadership, Greedy business practices, Does not value employees

Value your employees more. Don't always treat the development staff with such a high pedestal and forget about your other incredibly important divisions. I worked in development and saw the value in many of your other programs - but apparently you (senior management) don't. You're constantly stealing money away from needed-programs to fund things like galas and walks - important fundraising endeavors, sure, but so are your other educational programs. You aren't listening to what the community and your donors want. I had the best colleagues who all had the best intentions - and all you did was pit everyone against each other to scrape by for each penny. You don't care about the underserved communities (as much as you want to think) and take money from those community programs all the time. Best colleagues in the world with the best intentions. Horrible structure and horrible senior leadership.
    I also see a lot of more favorable reviews in other affiliates. All I can speak to is the Western States Affiliate, with Los Angeles as the headquarters. This Western States Affiliate conducts business in an unethical fashion (forcing non-exempt employees to fudge their time sheets so that the business does not have to pay them OT, even if that person has worked more than 8 hours, not directing donor's money in the way the donor has requested, etc.).

Meaningful mission though leadership is not the organization's strong point

Current Employee - Division Director
    Current Employee - Division Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, good benefits, decent salary for non profit. The families and organizations that support the AHA are often wonderful to work with and make the mission of the organization come to life.

Cons

With every pro I listed above, I can list an equal or worse con. You can work from home and even when there is bad weather, YOU MUST WORK despite the fact that the community surrounding you is not working. Also, work from home staff often feels limited in the relationships they have within the organization. It is nearly impossible to create a team mentality when you see your fellow staff once every few months.

I have been with the organization long enough to see a lot of turnover. If you do not go from zero, ie no community connections or no strong established working relationships, to 100% in a very short amount of time, the organization will give you a plan. This plan typically entails a certain time frame (often unrealistic) to hit very aggressive goals such as all previous sponsors renewed, all leadership positions filled and event hitting goal. This plan is often very difficult to obtain and thus they are "justified" in terminating you.

In two and a half years I have had three different direct supervisors (VP level) and two different SVPs. My role was vacant for one year and the volunteers left with a manager who lives hours away to somewhat lead the event. I say lead loosely. I believe that structurally there is something wrong with the leadership of the organization when there is such significant turnover. Staff is only given a raise when they have not only hit a certain dollar goal but also gained a certain score on their yearly evaluation. One co worker was fired despite being the only team member hitting fiscal goal just three months before.

I do believe there is a culture of bullying and often it is done by females due to the ratio of female leadership to male. It is often unprofessional and seemingly personality conflict based.

Take step back and remember what it was like to actually be in the position of those you are leading. Remember those that you are actually working for, those that are and will be touched by cardiovascular disease and stroke.

Most of your staff wants to be successful and with strong leadership can be. Have faith in that staff to lead the market and listen when they tell you what their community needs as they are the face of that community.

Their best days are behind them

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helping improve individuals health through research and educational programs funded by the organization.

Cons

Little to no opportunities for advancement, no appreciation for accomplishing goals or making contributions to the success of the organization. Upper management is overpaid and out of touch. They simply don't care about the employees or employee morale.

Good coworkers and volunteers but too much of a work load for one person. High turn over and changes daily.

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your coworkers are smart and helpful.

Cons

No upward mobility, workload overwhelming, and no strategic plan. Too many long term managers not doing anything but collecting a paycheck.

Listen to employees and not making decisions based on management only. Field staff is important.

Great Company

Former Employee - Legal Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed working for my manager. The company atmosphere is very friendly.

Cons

Being an intern sometimes you will have to work overtime but that just comes with the job.

I loved the upper management. They made sure I was always taken care of, I wish i could intern again.

Great

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance. Opportunity for growth. Great benefits and PTO. Tons of learning opportunities. Management is awesome.

Cons

I have no cons working at the American Heart Association. Absolutely great place to work and grow. Great place if you want a career in non-profit.

Don't work here unless you need a job.

Current Employee - Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Many managers will play favorites allowing one employee off to deal with a personal issue while punishing another.
    People will back stab you faster than a for profit company.
    People are overworked and the environment is either perform or we get rid of you.
    One mistake and we get rid of you.

Fire everyone and start over.

Great place to work

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The AHA has a very strong mission

Cons

lack of collaboration in some areas

Great experience.

Former Employee - Business Development Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, collaborative office, opportunity for growth and promotion.

Cons

While they stress that they want you to have Work life Balance it is impossible not to be doing reports and prep on weekends and nights.

I worked in the Seattle office. It use to be a really negative place until they transferred the ED and replaced her with an internal promotion that had just recently come to the AHA. They need to continue to promote people that bring experience from outside. Too many executives move up through the ranks and don't know anything but AHA.

American Heart Association Photos