American Heart Association Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
252 reviews filtered by

Worst place I've ever worked.

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

None. Seriously, none. I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

This was by far the most political place I ever worked. Ask the wrong person the wrong work-related question and you are basically written up, verbally reprimanded, or even fired. I have never seen such exquitsitely sensitive people with such fragile egos. The building itself is a leaking bug-infested shambles, boiling hot in some areas and freezing cold in others. The break area is a joke. Parking's a joke. People in IT don't even have cubes; they hot-desk. You can't reach out to anyone for help because of the unwritten rules and structure of the place so if you're the type who likes to get things done, work elsewhere. If you're a BA or a PM, forget about having a life. If you're in fundraising, you will be screamed at on a regular basis.

Change EVERYTHING.

2. Development Coordinator

Current Employee - Development Coordinator
    Current Employee - Development Coordinator

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The AHA has a lot of useful resources through the American Heart University. You are able to work with a lot of people from volunteers to presidents & CEOs.

Cons

In some of the small offices there is not much room for growth. There is a high turnover rate.

close minded

Current Employee - Youth Market Director
    Current Employee - Youth Market Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work towards a goal that changes lives.

Cons

management is a joke and for some reason they think they are far superior to reps.

too many managers that should be out in the field helping us make these out of reach numbers.

Trust me ... RUN!!!

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Time off for Christmas if you can make it that long. The time will be used for much needed metal and emotional stress.

Cons

You name it!!! MANAGEMENT, Management and Did I say mention Management! These are individuals that would never make it in a real company or organization with a true sense of what not to do when you are a manager. If someone is promoted to a management position it's because they literally scratched and clawed their way up. Beating down their employees is given a "high-five" and honorable mention.

There is no advice that management can have that can cure this illness. Management is the problem and they see no need to change themselves. My advice is to National Center and to donors. Please take a look at their management when it comes to their affiliates, this is disturbing. Donors I do believe this is a good cause but the money you are spending is supporting an organization that is creating heart disease. HELP!!!!

6. Great starter company

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great flexibility with the hours
    Short Hours
    Great friends
    Ability to work remotely
    Technology was on point

Cons

Not enough accountability for upper management when things go wrong
    Salary sucks
    Take forever for a minority to get promoted

Never let your hard workers go to keep the ones who barely do anything. |
    Appreciate your employees who have shown their loyalty

Such a disappointment...

Former Employee - Director in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Northeast, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, great co-workers, holidays and PTO

Cons

Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate

For the first 2 months or so, I literally thought it was too good to be true, but then things started to change. The job had a 90 degree learning curve, yet within a couple of months I was expected to be able to do all of it (and there was WAY too much) perfectly and without assistance. When I expressed my concerns, I was told I was the problem and that the workload would only increase. Management gave mixed and unclear guidance regarding the tasks/assignments, and I could apparently never do anything right because of this. If I asked for clarification, I was met with irritation and told I should just know, yet when I made assumptions I would get disciplined and asked why I didn't seek clarification. I started going in early and staying late, as well as working weekends and holidays (and even my PTO birthday) to try and get everything done, but it was never enough. I literally stopped eating and sleeping in my attempts to please them in both quantity and quality, and it still wasn't enough. It reached a point where I had become incredibly depressed, anxious and unhappy all the time, and had lost over 10 pounds due to not eating, and I just had to get out. Honestly, I felt like 2 people could've been doing my job full-time and they would both be stressed out and overwhelmed. Please PLEASE, if you're thinking about applying or accepting a job offer from the AHA, please don't make your decision lightly, and read these reviews carefully before making up your mind.

An Incredible Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, Hard-working, thought provoking company who believes and lives their guiding values, American Heart University is one of the best learning and development experiences I have had in my 20 year career, excellent PTO, and time off during the week of Christmas that does not affect your PTO balance.

Cons

Little bit of red tape and bureaucracy but you would see that in most companies and in non-profits.

Ridiculous- no leadership, no compassion

Former Employee - Fundraising Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Meeting survivors and knowing they were grateful for support, the team was very supportive of peers

Cons

long hours, very sales driven environment, everything was a numbers game, real relationship building and fundraising did not exist, leadership was inefficient and only concerned with their bottom line

pay attention to your mid-level managers and think more about who you hire in leadership

Probably the worst mistake in my professional career-RUN don't walk away.

Former Employee - Fundraising Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great volunteers, worthy mission, good pay for a non profit, great PTO and benefits

Cons

They hours are unbelievable, no work life balance, "mean girl" mentality management style, micromanaging atmosphere. There is no growth potential. There is never enough and the company has become greed driven.

Stop looking for more and more. Appreciate your people more, appreciate your volunteers more, stop booking lake side rooms for management meetings and start putting the money towards the mission. Listen to your staff, many have great ideas and concepts. Stop taking them for granted and see how low your attrition can go! When people reach out and want to do more, stay longer, and work with you, listen to them.

Too much going on at once!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extreme flexibility
    Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it)
    Good compensation for a non-profit organization

Cons

Training is non-existent
    Unorganized leadership
    Overworked employees

Consider better management and more resources for employees.

American Heart Association Photos