American Heritage Federal Credit Union

Updated November 1, 2014
Updated November 1, 2014
3.3

CEO

Company that gives its employees a chance to grow.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company with a family type environment and promotes within aggressively. If you work on the feedback you receive, you are able to progress.

Cons

You must be able to feedback both positive and constructive criticism.

Great Company!

I have been working at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

American Heritage is a company that truly values its employees and members. They have a culture that respects and supports employees and understand the importance of a work-life balance. Bruce, the CEO, and his management team are friendly, approachable, and involved with employees at all levels. It is clear that AMHFCU understands that creating a 'Best Place to Work' helps to foster happy and productive employees. Employee contributions to company growth and success do not go unrecognized!

Cons

None - my experience has been great!

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to spread the positive energy and enthusiasm!

Credible & Reputable Organization

Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management team & staff are high caliber and give tirelessly to the employees, members, and community at large. The company supports a high volunteer spirit to the community. CEO is high energy with a tremendously large heart for the greater good. He cares about his organization, about the employees, and about the members overall. Fast growing, high energy, and high achieving. Remarkable Management Trainee Program, must see! Open door policy in a one team environment of collaboration and high achievement. Great diversity, recognition, high focus on employee health & wellness, have won Best Places to Work for several years in a row. I love working here! I will stay as long as they will have me.

Cons

Culture is strong in this one team environment, so if you are not a go getter promotion will not be handed to you. Strong promotional ability but it must be earned with actionable results fair to all. Wish this organization were Nationwide to allow member service commitment offered beyond just PA.

Keep doing everything you're doing to support employees in this one-team environment! Thank you for all you do to keep us moving in the right direction.

Great company that cares about employees

Pros

Family-oriented staff
    Friendly atmosphere
    Competitive compensation
    Good benefits package
    Great values and morals
    Community involvement

Cons

None present at this time.

Great opportunity for advancement. The management staff seem to genuinely care about their employees. I feel valued at this company in a way that I have not experienced in my other employment.

An excellent place to work with great people!

I have been working at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

I feel that American Heritage truly cares about their employees. It s a fun place to work and there is always something going on to recognize and reward the staff. The managers appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that their staff provides to the membership. We have so many employees who have been promoted because of that hard work and dedication. It is great to see someone who is successful in their current position move up to the next level. AMHFCU is all about promoting from within. The salary and incentive programs are great too.

Cons

I have not had a negative experience with this company and I am so excited to see how much it grows in the future.

Reorganization and realistic focus needed for success.

I worked at American Heritage Federal Credit Union

Pros

As the saying goes. 20% of the people do 80% of the work while 80% do nothing.

Cons

It is quite suspect that all of the recent positive reviews were written on the same day. I worked there for too many years and against all odds continued to believe that I could make a difference. After all of that time it became clear to me that all of the success came at the sacrifice of the few. The waste of money is rampant spent on frivolous things such as landscaping and superficial appearance. Employees are underpaid and under appreciated. 12 hour days with no lunch is expected. This company has lost it's way. There are so many good people that work there and that is the only reason it has been able to hang on. They have a practice of an exit interview supposedly to grow and learn but it is actually used to target supervisors and managers that are not part of the inner circle. They do not give exit interviews to employees that they do not care to hear their opinion if it does not agree with theirs. But they will take the word of a short term poor performer and use that against a long term successful leader. I am so sad and disappointed that I wasted all those years.

My hope is that someone finally speaks up and does the right thing for the members and the staff. You have the potential to be amazing but not with the current leadership.

Run don't walk to the nearest exit! What a bunch of lies!

I worked at American Heritage Federal Credit Union

Pros

You will work with some of the kindest hardworking people who selflessly give their time to the many charities that the credit union sponsors. Oh and the buildings are beautiful.

Cons

The CEO is an egomaniacal micromanager that rules by fear with a fake smile on his face. His minions fall in line and are so afraid to speak up or they will be gone that you are in constant fear of being escorted out.

Stop with the lip service and mean what you say. Value your staff sincerely and put your money where your mouth is.

Worst place I ever worked

I worked at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Growing company in an industry that is growing with intelligent financial decisions being made.

Cons

The place is run by a clique of bullies that treat new people with complete disdain. The meaner and more unprofessional an employee is, the more they are respected by management. The salary and benefits are bad and when you ask for more they tell you that they are a non-profit and can't afford it. Working there is like stepping back in time into the 1950's.

Really great and fun place to work!

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great day-shift hours.
    Clean and beautiful working environment.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Good salary & benefits.
    Interpersonal skills building field. (Meet and greet new people all the time)
    Positive and upbeat company.
    Fun company events and activities.
    Closed Sundays and only open until 3pm on Saturdays.
    1 full hour lunch break. (really loved that!)

Cons

Poor management staff. (which, since I have been there, has been replaced and not all were terrible)
    Poor communication.
    Advancement opportunities were limited to a few employees. (over heard management speaking poorly of some employees when those employees were top performers in their branch)
    Advancement blocking by management in certain branches. (I speculate it was fear of losing the top performers and falling behind other branches)
    Management accused you of cheating if you worked hard and made high numbers with cross-selling products. (Very bad for moral and self defeating attitude)
    Co-workers are lazy and you will feel over-worked at some points. (stressful at times)
    No one cares about the low performance by fellow co-workers (but you will!).

Growing company - doing well and I have noticed the implemented changes that have fixed a lot of the issues.
    Encourage employees positively. (People work harder when they are happy - that has been scientifically proven)
    This was and is a growing company and it is still young but headed in the right direction.
    Increase pay or give advantages to top performers not only in cross-selling but to the person who handles the most transactions, shows the most initiative, has the take charge positive attitude and leadership skills for the branches.
    Reward/Recognize your company cheerleaders for promoting growth when management fails.

Says best place to work... not really

I have been working at American Heritage Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good People in work area

Cons

Pay, growth opportunities and yes men in upper management