American HomePatient

Updated Mar 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph F. Furlong III

awesome company to work for

I have been working at American HomePatient

Prosgreat pay and give aways

Consincreasing goals that make it now difficult to obtain a bonus

Advice to Senior Managementconsider lower empolyees and not just your bonus

Dead End Job, go work for Apria instead.

Service Tech (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at American HomePatient full-time for more than a year

ProsBetter than cleaning toilets.
Earn one day vacation per month of full time employment.
5 paid holidays per year (but you'll be on call for 3 of them)

ConsNo raises, you get what you're hired at, so make sure you haggle for top dollar during hiring process.
No company matching 401k.
No work life balance, even when you're not on call (which is 26 weeks out of the year) you are still at the behest of the company.
Absolutely no loyalty to employees, I gained my job at the expense of an employee who had been there for 16 years (and had only made it to 10.50 an hr thru raises). They had tried to trick him into resigning as to avoid paying him his accrued vacation time.
If you see the area Vice President John, someone is getting fired at your office, as firing employees appears to be the only job he has.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a simple service tech, there is nothing I could say they would even care to hear.

Account Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American HomePatient

ProsGreat training - great coworkers, I had a great GM, and lots of talented sales people

ConsToo much paperwork -

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

I have been working at American HomePatient full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are great, lots of time off, GM works with us, it feels good to help patients. we do get small quarterly bonuses

Conspay increases went from 18 months to 2 years. No room for advancement, on call. No overtime pay, we just get comp time

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep good employees you should let the local GM decide if they can do sallry increases before the 2 year mark.

Good Workplace Attitude

Sleep Support Specialist I (Former Employee)
Longview, TX

I worked at American HomePatient full-time for less than a year

ProsGood overall workplace attitude
Work/Family life friendly
Encouraged to be good patient advocates and the numbers would come next
Good pay

ConsThe TX center was held to a different standard than the rest. We were told to always be kind and considerate to EVERYONE who called our lines (patients or co-workers. However, in the other sites, they could be mean and nasty and not take a hit for it. So when the patients called in irate, we were the ones that had to be calm and take care of the mess the others made.
Once you were on full time, there were no more raises. You just made your base plus a weird kind of commission that was not really commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll employees should be held accountable for the way they treat everyone, not just one center.
Give raises and straighten out the commission structure.

Company is not patient centered

Director of Respiratory Therapy (Former Employee)

I worked at American HomePatient full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStaff members are patient orientated. They try their best for the patients .

ConsManagement is more interested in the bottom line than what is doing right for the patient.
Morale is very low. Benefits are minimal.

Functions adequately, but has trouble with consistency

Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee)

I worked at American HomePatient full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFront line people who work with the patients are so dedicated and sincerely want their patients to succeed. I believe management also sincerely wanted patients to succeed, but as noted below didn't manage that effectively (as noted in cons).

ConsCompany management gets caught up in brittle processes that leave no room for customizing care to the individual. It was more important that you called a patient on the company designated day than the content of the conversation with the patient and the outcome. For example you could get written up if you called the patient on the wrong day, but if you called on the right day and didn't have an effective interaction (for example, left a voice message), that was fine.

Almost a decade of service, no advancement

Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at American HomePatient

ProsTime off, time off, and time off

ConsLow pay, low opportunity for financial advancement, low opportunity for career advancement, little revognition from outside branch for a job wel done, no overtime pay

Great working environment, great people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Brentwood, TN

I worked at American HomePatient

ProsA large majority (if not all) of management are knowledgeable about their positions and responsibilities. Each manager seems to care about the employees who report to them, which makes for a good work environment. Employees are great, friendly, people who help create a good and comfortable environment. It's also nice to know that you're working for a company who is helping people be able to manage their diseases and live a more comfortable/longer life.

ConsBenefits could use a little improvement. There was a small 401K match, which was taken away about a year ago. There is no tuition reimbursement program, which seems to be increasingly more common. Lastly, there isn't a whole lot of room for growth unless moving to different departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have loved to have more company wide activities. I always though the company lunches were excellent in improving the work environment and attitudes of employees. Maybe doing something out of the ordinary: taking corporate to see a movie one afternoon - during work hours, have a corporate bowling lunch day, or anything else that would just take a few hours out of the day, but would help make employees more committed and more likely to perform well in their positions.

Low base but a decent opportunity

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at American HomePatient full-time

ProsGreat training at coorporate, good experience to call on doctors, hospitals, clinics, skiled nursing facilities, etc

ConsHave to pay expenses out of pocket however company does reimburse

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a car allowance and/or better car package & have a company card for expenses to reps dont have to pay out of pocket

Worked for American HomePatient? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American HomePatient reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American HomePatient CEO Joseph F. Furlong III. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by American HomePatient employees.