American Honda Motor

Updated February 6, 2015
3.2

American Honda Motor President Tetsuo Iwamura
Tetsuo Iwamura

Pros
  • American Honda has a very strong corporate culture that promotes work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The job is secure, the people are nice, and the company offers good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • no work-life balance, no management involvement, no planning, only politics, (in 3 reviews)

• No team dynamic as Managers treat associates with disrespect (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

District Sales Manager

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Honda Motor

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

As with any company, there is a hard ceiling.

Management does a great job.

Okay job

I have been working at American Honda Motor

Pros

Good pay for just saying hi to people

Cons

Not much tasks to do. No room to move up.

Great company!

Former Employee - Dealer Analyst
    Former Employee - Dealer Analyst

I worked at American Honda Motor

Pros

Great reputation, good for people who want to be promoted, grow with a company, nice benefits!!

Cons

None! I loved my time there.

You're doing a great job. Don't give in to the demands of lazy employees that ride that clock. Look hard at the people there, and you'll see who's there for a check and who's there to help the company.

The Company has changed

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, casual. People really seem to be dedicated to doing their job the "right way"

Cons

Poor to almost abysmal management - all layers
    Not concerned with cost cutting unless the management really screws up - single source suppliers
    No advancement to speak of
    No recognition of a job well done
    Management lacking experience and leadership skills promotio

Practice your original philosophy
    Lead by example
    At least show some interest in controlling costs

Lots of dead weight

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at American Honda Motor

Pros

Good benefits and easy work.

Cons

Lazy long time employees just getting by until retirement. Not what it used to be.

Losing lots of good employees.

Not the best job to have.

Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Libertyville, IL
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Libertyville, IL

I worked at American Honda Motor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A great learning opportunity for someone starting out as a automotive technician that's about it.

Cons

Bad pay, no job security, old equipment, nothing is OSHA approved, management cares nothing about your work/home life balance.

Care more about your employees and not the money that is scammed off of customers.

Intern

I worked at American Honda Motor

Pros

It was a great company.

Cons

There were no cons in my opinion. Lunch breaks were pretty short maybe....

Don't even bother

Former Contractor - Credit Discounter in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Credit Discounter in Irving, TX

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were good people; I enjoyed interacting with folks. Social events were fun; some managers had a good sense of humor.

Cons

In-line with what others have said regarding contractors being treated as a lesser breed. We (contractors) would be included on emails that didn't actually include us~ we should have been on a separate list from the non-contractors.

Also if your manager doesn't like you for any reason (could be the color of your glasses!) you'll be out the door at or before three months is up.

Contractors= expendable!

Treat contractors as equal to your own employees. They are human too!

One of the few global companies that strives to realize the founder's vision even if they sometimes get it wrong.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most important things to consider (and also a Pro) is that Honda is comprised of many divisions which each have their own set of idiosyncrasies. If you are a passionate, enthusiastic, single young person there are many great opportunities to work in a field that you love and be involved in a wide variety of roles within the motorcycle/automotive industry. What other company can offer the long term stability, benefits and growth that this 66-year old institution provides? From Research & Development to Sales & Marketing to Service Engineering.... even if you aren't a motorcycle/automotive enthusiast, the company also has huge Parts Distribution Operation, Logistics, Accounting, Training and an IT Department so large that people joke, "Honda is now an IT Company." Of course, entry into the company as an older individual can be more challenging as you may find yourself with ideas and habits that don't match the existing culture. But, you may also be part of the solution to the stagnation and malaise that are currently plaguing the company and its brand. Training, growth opportunities and benefits abound within the company, but it can be a labyrinth to learn about them. Self-motivated, confident and resilient individuals will thrive here.

Cons

The "Good Ole Boy" mentality still reins supreme in many departments and even some of those that have been at the company 20+ years frown on this crippling resistance to change. After the 2008 Recession, the Motorcycle Division let nearly half of the staff take a generous parachute. This is a Con, because in the past 6 years the work didn't go anywhere and the remaining staff work insane hours. Approach this division with extreme caution unless you like living where you work. On the other hand, the Automotive Division is going through some strategic flux that has increased frustration levels among the more experienced associates to the point of an internal company Cold War. The biggest Con, is that no matter where you currently work and whether you are good at it, love it, etc. you may get swept up in a "re-org" and find yourself in a completely different position and/or in another state. Training is often non-existent (or isn't seen as a priority by Senior Management) and this often results in staff being promoted up to management level positions without the proper skillset. It's not enough to just "know" the product if you don't manage your team well.

Pay attention to what your Associates are telling you. If they are taking the time to fill out those "Satisfaction Surveys" you give us every few years, visit Associate Relations to "complain," or thoughtfully provide the "whole story" on websites like Glass Door, it's because we CARE. Many of us LOVE Honda. We bleed Honda Red. We want our success and Glory Days back. Lead us there.

Very Good Company to work for as a student and a full time associate

Current Employee - Part Time Office-Assit in Troy, OH
    Current Employee - Part Time Office-Assit in Troy, OH

I have been working at American Honda Motor part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule for students. Career advancement opportunities for new graduates in several departments. Good benefits and STILL HAVE PENSION PLANS

Cons

No raise after first year. Not very easy to get familiar to Abbreviation and jargon used in the office.

yearly pay increase for students will be nice. we face inflation just like every one else