American Honda Motor

Updated December 5, 2014
3.3

American Honda Motor President Tetsuo Iwamura
Tetsuo Iwamura

Pros
  • American Honda has a very strong corporate culture that promotes work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• The job is secure, the people are nice, and the company offers good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • no work-life balance, no management involvement, no planning, only politics, (in 3 reviews)

• No team dynamic as Managers treat associates with disrespect (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

I worked at American Honda Motor

Pros

It was a great company.

Cons

There were no cons in my opinion. Lunch breaks were pretty short maybe....

Don't even bother

Former Employee - Credit Discounter in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Discounter in Irving, TX

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were good people; I enjoyed interacting with folks. Social events were fun; some managers had a good sense of humor.

Cons

In-line with what others have said regarding contractors being treated as a lesser breed. We (contractors) would be included on emails that didn't actually include us~ we should have been on a separate list from the non-contractors.

Also if your manager doesn't like you for any reason (could be the color of your glasses!) you'll be out the door at or before three months is up.

Contractors= expendable!

Treat contractors as equal to your own employees. They are human too!

One of the few global companies that strives to realize the founder's vision even if they sometimes get it wrong.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most important things to consider (and also a Pro) is that Honda is comprised of many divisions which each have their own set of idiosyncrasies. If you are a passionate, enthusiastic, single young person there are many great opportunities to work in a field that you love and be involved in a wide variety of roles within the motorcycle/automotive industry. What other company can offer the long term stability, benefits and growth that this 66-year old institution provides? From Research & Development to Sales & Marketing to Service Engineering.... even if you aren't a motorcycle/automotive enthusiast, the company also has huge Parts Distribution Operation, Logistics, Accounting, Training and an IT Department so large that people joke, "Honda is now an IT Company." Of course, entry into the company as an older individual can be more challenging as you may find yourself with ideas and habits that don't match the existing culture. But, you may also be part of the solution to the stagnation and malaise that are currently plaguing the company and its brand. Training, growth opportunities and benefits abound within the company, but it can be a labyrinth to learn about them. Self-motivated, confident and resilient individuals will thrive here.

Cons

The "Good Ole Boy" mentality still reins supreme in many departments and even some of those that have been at the company 20+ years frown on this crippling resistance to change. After the 2008 Recession, the Motorcycle Division let nearly half of the staff take a generous parachute. This is a Con, because in the past 6 years the work didn't go anywhere and the remaining staff work insane hours. Approach this division with extreme caution unless you like living where you work. On the other hand, the Automotive Division is going through some strategic flux that has increased frustration levels among the more experienced associates to the point of an internal company Cold War. The biggest Con, is that no matter where you currently work and whether you are good at it, love it, etc. you may get swept up in a "re-org" and find yourself in a completely different position and/or in another state. Training is often non-existent (or isn't seen as a priority by Senior Management) and this often results in staff being promoted up to management level positions without the proper skillset. It's not enough to just "know" the product if you don't manage your team well.

Pay attention to what your Associates are telling you. If they are taking the time to fill out those "Satisfaction Surveys" you give us every few years, visit Associate Relations to "complain," or thoughtfully provide the "whole story" on websites like Glass Door, it's because we CARE. Many of us LOVE Honda. We bleed Honda Red. We want our success and Glory Days back. Lead us there.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very Humble people, No Bureaucracy

Cons

Benefits could be more. Work-life balance

None

Good benefits, not a good place for motivate, young, talented people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good here, and the company is known to not lay off or demote associates. Once you're in it's easy to become a lifer if that's what you choose.

Cons

The hierarchy is too top heavy--too many layers of management. Everyone's been there so long (20+ years) there are few low level employees doing the actual work. It is difficult to be promoted or get a new position because there's little movement on top. Managers dictate and delegate but they do not lead. There are no innovators, and young people are encouraged not to share ideas because they lack tenure. Morale is low in general as people are overworked, underpaid and have had no promise of a pay grade increase or pay bump in the last six years.

Very Good Company to work for as a student and a full time associate

Current Employee - Part Time Office-Assit in Troy, OH
    Current Employee - Part Time Office-Assit in Troy, OH

I have been working at American Honda Motor part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule for students. Career advancement opportunities for new graduates in several departments. Good benefits and STILL HAVE PENSION PLANS

Cons

No raise after first year. Not very easy to get familiar to Abbreviation and jargon used in the office.

yearly pay increase for students will be nice. we face inflation just like every one else

Asst manager - supply chain

I have been working at American Honda Motor

Pros

Benefits , pay , Job stability

Cons

Upper mgmt too far removed from professional associates. Budget so tight yet I see other parts of honda enjoying luxuries of holiday parties , cedar point day , etc.

Know what the associates are battling. Step up and support obstacles we have with suppliers and other honda plants. We need your leverage!!

Balanced Job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Developer in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Developer in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are looking for a job that can balance your work and personal life. Not too stressful, but might depends on different department.

Cons

Conservative environment, sometimes slow. If you want to learn the latest technologies, it might not be your option. The pace to adopt the technologies are fairly slow. but if it is not bad if you can stay forever.

Bullies abound in management glad I left

Current Employee - Contract Employee in French Camp, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Employee in French Camp, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay, 401k, Vacation time and sick time

Cons

The current manager is a bully. Its his way or the highway. he tells everyone that he wants there decision but everyone knows its his way. If you disagree with him you are in for an hours worth of arguing his way till you give in then he tells everyone we all wanted it. then you are on "his list"

remember Honda's respect for the individual

Difficult to move up

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much to say here about the job.

Cons

Misogynistic management taking the ideas of not only women without giving due credit but also keeping them in the same pay scale for years offering joke raises of 50 cents an hour. Will keep you in contractor position for life when the statute is 3 years. Associate employees get paid to be on Facebook all day.

Respect your employees.