American Hospital Association Reviews

3.3
Rich Umbdenstock

1. Great place to work.

I worked at American Hospital Association full-time

Pros

Great people, good benefits, a supportive and encouraging environment that provides career development and support.

Cons

Promotions and growth is limited due to the longevity of the employees.

Advice to Management

Provide more growth opportunities for the staff

The AHA provides a great example of why associations are a dying business model.

I worked at American Hospital Association

Pros

Benefits are the only benefit unless you like being bullied by your boss and working with processes and systems from 1985.

Cons

I worked for one of those groups (AHRMM) and the following describe what you will most likely encounter from working there: 1) you will learn how to deal with a boss who is a passive aggressive bully and you will be expected to just deal with it on your own. During my time (under 5 years) my boss was reported to the anonymous hotline two times within a year and received less than favorable employee evaluation scores yet nothing was done to correct her behavior. When the AHA allows employees to be treated like scum it is hard to think that they truly care about the wellbeing of others. 2) the AHA provide minimal benefits to their members. I was told multiple times not focus so much time on improving the “quality” of our products even though the products had no strategy or design and looked like they came from 1987. 3) The AHA is perfect for employees who have no voice, motivation, or strategy for improvements. 4.) The AHA likes to waste money to have high dollar consultants come in and train their employees (performance excellence) yet they do not hold leaders responsible for any type of excellence so no improvements are made. 5) The AHA IT department is like none I’ve ever seen but that may be because I didn’t work in 1985 when half of their systems were developed. 6) The AHA has no business continuity. If someone is out on vacation, you just have to wait. 7) The AHA trains about process and project management because they do not believe in hiring project managers. Be ready to do two jobs when new projects come around. 8) The AHA hires skilled employees; however, they do not utilize even a quarter of their potential. Be prepared to do a lot of admin work because they do not believe in process improvements. 9) This is the perfect job for people who do not want to be held accountable for anything.

Advice to Management

PLEASE pay attention to the PMGs executive directors. Their behavior is unethical and should be addressed immediately!

Great Organization with Lots of Dysfunction

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Hospital Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office in a new building; great benefits; some of the directors and managers and most of the worker bees are AWESOME! Benefits are quite good, as is work-life balance. The people comprising the Board of Directors and Office of the Secretary are an amazing group of professionals with their hearts and minds in the right place.

Cons

Compensation is weak for those who do the bulk of the work. A highly hierarchical organization. Executives don't look at who is running the shop for fear of having to deal with it and (horrors) possibly making some changes. Some of the VPs and managers are insecure bullies who create busy work regularly and thrive on chaos--actually create chaos if necessary (and then hilariously complain about it!). HR does not respond to complaints under any circumstances--any complaints or offenses (regardless of how egregious) are treated with a pat on the shoulder and a nod of "I understand". Nothing ever changes and I suspect nothing ever will. They have recently embraced "corporate speak" (think the late 90's); if you have a flair for it, you'll go far. Many of the Directors and Managers (Chicago and Washington) are highly competitive and insecure, and will do their best to undermine anyone they feel is a threat--including gossip and lie. I am THRILLED that I left--my Sundays are no longer filled with dread.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard look at the people running your departments, and maybe their HR files. Complaints about managers are valid much of the time--don't ignore them. Teach directors and managers how to work with their direct reports in a supportive and mentoring way instead of treating them like their children. Micro-managing, choosing favorites, embarrassing, bullying and treating direct reports in a condescending and abusive manner should not be tolerated. Give managers the education and tools to work with people in a positive way. It's shameful what goes on. Wake up and recognize what is happening, over and over again.

5. I loved working here as a marketing intern.

I worked at American Hospital Association

Pros

Location of office, positive work environment, flexible schedules,

Cons

Do not have any complaints.

6. Very nice work environment

Former Contractor - Governance Operations Coordinator
    Former Contractor - Governance Operations Coordinator

I worked at American Hospital Association as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, good team mentality

Cons

Higher level managers and directors too separated from rest of staff

7. Marketing & Communications Specialist

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Hospital Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great communication between senior level staff and mid level staff.

Cons

Sharing between groups is minimal.

Advice to Management

Always tell your mid level staff the great work they do for the members and the community.

8. Fine place to Work

I worked at American Hospital Association

Pros

Good smart people. Relatively slow paced work environment (if that's your thing), depending on your department. Good benefits and compensation

Cons

Top-down culture that doesn't allow much room to move up.

9. Overall, I enjoyed my experience at the AHA because I was able to impact the employee population.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Hospital Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The AHA provides a strong sense of commitment to their mission, vision and values. The organization offers an outstanding benefits package with a focus on employee needs.

Cons

Some of the challenges are working with management with inflated egos, which result in a large number of terminations with severance packages.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great job of engaging employees in the mission, providing great benefits and wellness plans and root out management, who focus on ego versus the needs of the team and the organization.

10. Great benefits, terrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Hospital Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent salaries, nice people, overall.

Cons

Bad management. Top level executives talk a good game, but when it comes down to department managers and association top management, a lot of hypocrisy. Many people unhappy with their department management, but stay a long time because of the great benefits.

Advice to Management

Treat people well instead of just talking about it. Don't ignore issues with bad managers. Fire them and show that known mistreatment of employees that is swept under the carpet is not an acceptable company culture.

old boys club,if you are non white stay away

Current Employee - Senior IT Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior IT Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Hospital Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

location,some nice coworkers and easy commute

Cons

low salary,bad management mostly old boy club,if you don't belong to this circle you are out of luck.
    I worked for Integration Department as IT professional,I didn't like it and I was treated differently just because I'm not white.
    I was asked by management a lot of questions about my religion and about my home country in bad way which something you will get sued for one day .
    I couldn't take it no more so I lift and got much better job with more profisional company

Advice to Management

pay attention to whats going on and get rid of corruption in this orgnisation