American Hotel Register

Updated November 5, 2014
3.7

American Hotel Register President Angela Korompilas
Angela Korompilas

Pros
  • My coworkers were great people and I made a lot of friends (in 5 reviews)

• Everyone is always so welcoming and willing to help however they can (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a big issue too (in 3 reviews)

• management is a micro management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A loving place to work. You will interact positively with many people.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, culture, locations, vertical and horizontal movement, interaction with all levels, family owned for 150 years, friendly. You will work with many levels of management in any position and have opportunities to talk with senior leadership regularly.

Cons

Some software systems are not fully integrated with each other. Many positions are overtime exempt which can lead to longer hours without compensation or recognition.

Having donations collected in the lobby for various causes obligates associates to donate out of pity/embarrassment.

Outside Sales Representative

Former Employee - Territory Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is well-known in the industry which makes getting past certain barriers to the "decision makers" easier than it would be at other jobs. The company is willing to compensate you and give you all of the perks you would see with any other job and then some.

Cons

They claim to have a "family" corporate structure, but in all reality the company has far from that. In the short time I spent there people were constantly being fired or demoted and for reasons that were always never disclosed. The company is a disorganized chaos and the turnover rate is very high. The work-life balance can be difficult to manage because you are expected to maintain 125 accounts while also traveling and visiting these same accounts face-to-face. Commissions are also capped which from a sales standpoint doesn't leave you with much motivation to over achieve.

Hold yourselves to the same standards that you hold everyone else.

good people managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for if dedicated

Cons

management is a micro management

dont have advice

A great family owned compan build on culture and customer service.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

American Hotel offers employees great opportunties for professional development with optional educational web courses and opportunity for advancement early on through internal interviewing. There is a full cafeteria for breakfast/lunch with very reasonable pricing and a full scale fitness center in the building that I have free access to. I have a great relationship with my manager and other reps here which makes coming to work a very positive experience as well.

Cons

Becuase the company is always looking to stay relevant to our customers there seems to be very frequent and abrupt change with certain processes and procedures. With the recent transition in upper management I am sure this will even itself out soon but at this time it can be a little confusing.

I don't have any specific suggestions but I would be interested in allowing inside sales to work from home on certain days in the future if that is a possibility.

A company that still values family over everything.

Current Employee - New Project Quality Quoter in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - New Project Quality Quoter in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel like the people here really do want what's best for me. Everyone is always so welcoming and willing to help however they can.

Cons

It's not the highest paying company. We've had alot of organization structural changes in the past year, and we need to improve communication between departments.

Middle management is almost non-exsistent. They've made an effort recently to restructure. But I would continue to focus on opportunites for growth.

Ship Without A Rutter

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks if you work in home office.

Cons

They once enjoyed a great reputation within the Hospitality Market. Multiple changes in sales structure confused customers and staff. Changes in products at the same times as structure caused decrease in sales. They pay a lot of attention to low margin sales and little emphasis on high margin markets

Provide clear consistent field guidance. Avoid flavor of the week management

Great company that invests in employees and treats customers like old friends!

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and growth potential. Suggestions are always welcomed and encouraged.

Cons

Location is somewhat of of the way unless you live in Lake County

Keep motivating and bringing in top notch talent

Great place to work no matter what level!

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family culture, collaborative environment, frequent internal promotions, lots of career growth, competitive salaries company continues to grow and expand, a variety of benefits and amenities at headquarters, detailed training program, contracts in place with all the major hotel chains & associations

Cons

-company makes changes based on the industry and market which can sometimes be quarterly and or annually
    -as the company continues to grow, more and more layers of executives are being added (good but definitely an adjustment)

develop more structure around career advancement and development programs

Good company to work for

I have been working at American Hotel Register

Pros

Family environment, good work-life balance, good benefits and offerings for employees, open-door policy.

Cons

Hardly any opportunities to move up in the company (unless you're in sales). Pay is not competitive enough.

Great culture, great company.

Current Employee - Intern in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone knows your name! People are so welcoming and excited to come to work. The team work environment is infectious. There is a great café, hair salon and work out center on campus. Very open door policy. There is also room for career growth. Managers are personally invested in their happiness and success of their employees. Everything is transparent with where the company is going and their initiatives.

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as publicly traded companies. Not located near any public transportation (like the Metra) so only choice of commuting is car.

American Hotel Register Photos