American Humane Association

Robin R. Ganzert

Proud to work at AHA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission. Programs genuinely help animals and furthers the bond between people and animals. The mission and goals of AHA are more in line with the vast majority of Americans than those of the more well known but extremist animal rights organizations. There are opportunities for staff to take on additional responsibility and grow professionally.

Cons

There is a lot to do and not always enough people to do it, but this keeps costs down (so donations are spent on programs) and leaves lots of room to grow within the organization. It is difficult to be attacked by "animal rights" organizations because we truly love animals and children, and run great programs.

Advice to Management

Lots of great changes recently. Staff would love to feel more connected to all of the programs, and not just their specific area.

Happy at work

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

I enjoy my coworkers and they love animals as much as I do. We work hard and like making a difference, not just delivering a product. The atmosphere is nice and I like my manager.

Cons

Sometimes there is pressure based on deadlines and budgets but that is normal anywhere and can be exciting at times. Being dependent on grant funding can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Try to get more donors to support our mission -- if they knew more about all the animals we save and protect, they would want to give more. Talk more about our low overhead costs -- we are proud of that!

Pre-2011

I worked at American Humane Association

Pros

None. Nice office. Bring dog to work.

Cons

Staff so afraid of being fired that everyone was constantly at each other's throats. Sounds like from the reviews that not much has changed. A lot of busy work but not much actually done to advance causes.

A sham of an organization that should be ashamed of itself

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Humane Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Given the direction of this organization and the continued unethical behavior it demonstrates, it is very hard to identify any positives. Probably the only positive is that there are many well-intentioned people who care about animals who want to make a difference. It is initially easy to believe the management's rhetoric about their care for animals (and perhaps children), but it is easy to get disillusioned once you realize that it is simply glitz, marketing, glamor and unfortunately rhetoric.

Cons

Fiscally irresponsible Terrible management who overtly and covertly threaten staff Most programs are meaningless and have no impact on real outcomes on the lives of animals and humans The agenda on children is useless and misguided

Advice to Management

There is no advice that can be given to managers who rule based on fear and who think they are the only ones with knowledge. The advice is to the Board: you need to wake up and realize how the organization you guide, with its current leadership, is wrecking an organization that once played an important role in American history.

This organization is a scam

Pros

Nothing. I worked there thinking I did a good thing for animals, now with what has been uncovered, I'm ashamed that I worked here.

Cons

The certified program is not a humane treatment of animals. They've been caught with video and everything. Just google it.

Advice to Management

Close the doors. You are not helping animals, you are lying.

Donors beware

I worked at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

Staff, not management. Allegedly good cause. Benefits, flexibility, and PTO.

Cons

Very shady management, always chasing the check, children and animals come second.

Advice to Management

Turn yourselves in.

Leadership just wants to raise their profile, AHA is not about the animals

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

A lot of the staff (lower to mid level) truly care about animals and want to be part of a compassionate organization. Severance packages are decent because leadership has some sense to know they should mitigate the damage.

Cons

Demoralizing leadership that is out to make a name for themselves. When your leadership says they just want to run for political office, you understand why things work the way they do. Staff who make too much noise about the way things are mismanaged are let go, and those who keep their heads down are also up for the chopping block when budgetary needs arise - town cars, donor trips, and an unnecessary commute for leadership from their NC home to AHA's DC office are expensive. Advice for potential donors - give your money to your local shelter.

Advice to Management

You should resign for the good of the organization. Let someone who knows how to manage their staff with kindness and the organization's finances with intelligence, have the chance to take charge, right the ship, and help animals.

Lack of commitment, ethics, accountability

I worked at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

Solid peers. Great stated mission.

Cons

Board and key staff buddy system. Barely do anything meaningful. Crashed all programs and real thought leaders. Inhumane treatment of staff. Extremely questionable biz practices. Cronies writing positive reviews. Heartbreaking. Don't work or donate here.

Advice to Management

Either kick her out or shut down.

Our CEO's visionary yet steady leadership has made us relevant again. What was once lost is now found!

I have been working at American Humane Association

Pros

The lives we impact each and every day - children - animals - MAGIC! Employee benefits are second to none in the space The senior leadership team gets it done. Wins pummel losses - Pros trump cons.

Cons

The animal space is an emotional roller coaster of a space to work in Work Life balance can be challenge. We are a small but nimble team. This is not a 9-5 culture

Advice to Management

Stay the course. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Toxic work environment

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

The mission, although much less is accomplished than is cleverly promoted, especially in the area of helping children. The mostly collaborative nature of the staff.

Cons

The CEO is more focused on building her own brand than that of the organization. She's a yeller and a screamer and humiliates staff in front of one another on a regular basis. Google her and the org and read everything before you take a job here.

Advice to Management

We're way more aware of your poor behavior than you think. And we can't be honest with HR for fear of reprisal.

RSS Feed </> Embed