www.americanhumane.org

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

American Humane Association President & CEO Robin R. Ganzert
Robin R. Ganzert

Reinventing nonprofit best practices with innovative, common sense, outcome driven solutions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is cool working in a culture where I get to make a difference in children's and animals lives each and every day. Having the freedom to succeed and fail with a President & CEO in Dr. Robin Ganzert that just gets it!

Cons

With a small dedicated team we have to be nimble tackling our mission centric issues, often complex, difficulty issues so, looking forward to the day when we can grow our team. Plus, the animal space is a tough place to live in - working with very passionate and vocal people outside of AHA, from staunch supporters to vitriolic critics, you need kindness and toughness.

Stay the course, through thick and thin - you are on the right road

The Worst Non-Profit CEO in America

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of paid time off, seven hour work days and the work is easy, no brainer for the most part. You get free food and get to meet celebrities.

Cons

Do as I say not as I do leadership. The organization's reputation is embarrassing. A Senior V.P. after twenty years of service was demoted tthen replaced by someone less competent and inexperienced.

Take the mission seriously.

New management has completely ruined a once-respectable organization

I have been working at American Humane Association part-time

Pros

This was a great job before new management takeovers several years ago

Cons

Management continues to become increasingly top-heavy. Most "boots on the ground" jobs have been eliminated while upper-level management positions continue to increase in number and salary. This organization has thrown aside ethics and its mission in favor of gaining publicity and money. American Humane used to work to help children and animals; now we work to associate with C-list celebrities and create dog award shows. When mistakes are made, blame is passed off to people lower in the organization or to people outside of the organization. Almost all the employees who knew anything about animals and spoke up for them have been let go. People who speak up are labeled as "negative" and threatened with their jobs. As a result, no one speaks in meetings anymore except management. A culture of fear has been created; it's been made clear that if you don't shut up and drink the Kool-Aid, you're gone. A shelter veterinarian whose primary job was euthanizing cats and dogs is now heading up the film unit, and American Humane is finding veterinarians to replace animal safety representatives (an extremely specialized job that veterinarians are not suited to) in one of the most illogical changes in structuring I've seen. Anyone considering working here should first read the Hollywood Reporter article "Animals Were Harmed" for some perspective.

I would suggest that management resign, but the organization has been routinely compared to a sinking ship so it's probably too late.

Is this a real animal welfare charity or a bunch of middle and senior managers looking out to raise their own profiles?

Former Employee - Certified Animal Safety Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Animal Safety Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Humane Association part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with in the trenches, although the clouds of doom and illogical retribution always hover nearby.

Cons

Senior (and some middle) management do not understand (and don't seem to want to understand) the jobs we do to protect animals. They make innane decisions that don't weigh factors that best protect animals, or support the actions, recommendations and experience of the troops in the field. Their decisions seem based primarily to promote their own agendas (being with B-list celebrities), to cover their behinds when they are caught making the wrong decision, or tread water while pointing the blame at others. Morale in the Film and TV Unit has crashed over the past 3 years.

Resign. The board needs to bring in staff who care about the care and welfare of animals, and not look the other way for corporate partners (like Hallmark Channel) who want to compromise horse or kitten safety to promote their own products.

A very good working experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management has turned around AHA. The programs are now very successful and very helpful to animals and children. There is room for advancement if you are a team player and committed to the organization. A fun and professional group of employees.

Cons

AHA is staffed leanly, so there's a lot of work to be done with a relatively small staff especially given the size and breadth of the programs.

Continue to bolster programs. Continue to be financially responsible.

A group that I have a tremendous amount of personal pride with.

Pros

Robin Ganzert has made hard & difficult decesions, that have taken AHA from a scared invironment to one of firm resolve.

Cons

My particular teams compensation could be better.

I am proud to work for an organization that has such an important mission

Pros

Through its history American Humane Association has always been an organization working to improve the welfare of children and animals. Since the beginning over 135 years ago through today, AHA has accomplished so much. I feel that we are in the right track to keep making a difference in the lives of children and animals. I am proud to work for an organization that has such an important mission.

The first couple of years that I worked at the Denver office, from my perspective I saw a sleepy organization that did not have a voice or strong sense of purpose. Since Robin has come on board I have seen American Humane wake up from a serious case of complacency to being a vibrant organization that has renewed focus and purpose.

Cons

We went through many changes in the last couple of years- but change was needed and it is what has kept this organization not just running but alive with renewed energy.

Please don’t forget where we came from as we look towards the future generations. We are a moderate organization that has always been there to provide effective solutions to problems. That’s how real change is made.

Please continue bringing the top researchers to AHA- child psychologists, animal behaviorists, animal scientists, and others who have the expertise and passion to join us so that together we can continue with our mission on making a difference in the life of a child or an animal.

Revitalized organization reclaiming its history and legacy

Pros

The best quality about this organization is its mission and its legacy of promoting the welfare of children and animals. AHA is different from other national ‘humane’ groups. The organization shows that positive change can be brought about through collaboration and by focusing energy on reasonable, mainstream, common-sense programs to accomplish tangible goals. Money donated to AHA is used for programs that are DOING something to make the world a better place.

I started working with American Humane a couple of years before the Denver office closed. If you read through the other reviews here, you can tell that AHA (like most other non-profits) went through some rough times during the recession- before Robin Ganzert took over as CEO. American Humane has done great things over its 135 year plus history, and for AHA to continue doing great things we needed to make sure we weren’t spending more in programs than the donations we were bringing in. Robin made difficult but necessary decisions, and today she deserves credit that American Humane is healthy, revitalized, and is expanding its mission.

Cons

Still a lot of work to do

There are plenty of groups out there that will use an appalling case of abuse as a ploy to shock donors into sending money. We must call out and condemn abuse when we see it- and then get to work to correct the underlying causes and educate people so the abuse never happens again. AHA is so valuable to the community because we believe that most people want to do the right thing- we can’t fall into the trap like other groups of sensationalizing and sometimes distorting the truth surrounding a tragic situation just to collect donor dollars.

Living up to our legacy takes time and work. We need to remember everyone who helps with our mission- both national groups and the dedicated women and men working at the local animal shelter, the volunteers with the therapy pets, the small farmers who are doing the right thing by their animals- these are the people who help us get the job done.

We need more passionate people who share our values and commitment to protecting children, helping victims of natural disasters, and promoting the welfare of all animals whether our companions, working animals, farm animals, or animals in entertainment.

Current Employee

I have been working at American Humane Association

Pros

AHA is doing Great work again, Thanks to the leadership of Robin Ganzert!

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

Keep up the great work!

Very proud of the work we do

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Satisfaction in knowing that we are truly helping children with cancer, hungry and scared kids and animals who are victims of Hurricane Sandy and other natural disasters, and farm animals who deserve humane treatment.

Cons

We need to keep raising more money to keep up the important work we do and to do even more to help kids and animals. We are getting there -- it is wonderful to see so many caring people turn out for our special events and volunteer efforts like delivering pet food to shelters and families in need in New Jersey this weekend -- we helped thousands of families and that felt great!

Keep raising more money and increasing our communications through social media and corporate sponsors so people understand what we do and how much the kids and animals we serve need their financial support.

American Humane Association Photos