American Income Life

Updated September 29, 2014
3.2

American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money if you have what it takes to make the sale (in 17 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement in as little as 4 weeks (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not any cons that I can think of other than the long hours (in 59 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!

Current Employee - Regional Director
    Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with:

1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level.

2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives.

3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life.

4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here!

5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know

6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL.

7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T'

8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place.

9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym.

Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including:

1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two.

2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots.

3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that.

4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible!

5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on

6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason.

7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have)

8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

Before I give advice to management (see below) I would like to give some advice to those reading reviews: 90% of the content of the negative reviews you see on this site are TRUE, to one degree or another. But remember, no one generally goes to the internet to blog about how great things are- it's usually to complain or expose what they feel is negative. However, some red flags for you (the potential job seeker) when you are reading reviews: if someone says the word "employee" in their review you can essentially disregard the rest of the review due to the actual nature of the contract they signed.

Also, if someone complains about travelling they simply were not paying attention to the interview process (or the local office wasn't being truthful)- they were blinded by the $$ potential. And finally if anyone complains about management not being truthful, in most cases I have observed it's because they came ill-prepared for the interview and did not ask enough and/or the right questions. To expand on that, another huge reason for attrition is lack of spousal support. The new associate might not have clearly explained the opportunity & its requirements to their spouse or s/o- approx. I would put the figure of dissatisfied agents around 60% of the total % of dissatisfied agents that promise their better halves the world via this opportunity and do not prepare them for the initial 3-6 month grind required to be successful long-term.

My advice to candidates: don't sign on the dot for the job- ask to ride along (job shadow) the person interviewing for a day or two before committing to the opportunity. Also, once you commit: do so for a minimum of 6-months. This is not a career you can gauge on a daily or weekly basis.

Now that I have said that, I am exited to provide some valuable some advice to the management:

1) Stop hiring everybody! This career should not be someone's first "real job"...you really do need a bit of good educational or professional experience (at minimum an internship or working entry-level at a successful company, regardless of industry) prior to joining AIL. AIL is only good for a gateway into the financial services industry, not into the general realm of employment itself! By hiring bad candidates you alienate the good candidates in your organization and the opportunity does not seem that special anymore, hurting agency culture and individual drive.

2) Hire by necessity- not in advance to replace the inevitable turnover. If you are losing agents left and right, aggressive hiring on a weekly basis will do nothing but apply a 1-month Band-Aid to the solution and fill the pockets of your SGA!! In order to stop turnover, book a ton of interviews and only select the absolute best candidates, mentor them to obtain their license, and support them during their 1st 90 days as if they were the last agents you are ever going to hire. In short, don't hire their replacement until they give you a reason to do so.

3) Know your territory and the opportunities/constraints it provides, don't out hire your available resources to where your agents must produce 90% of their leads by referrals just to have a weekly paycheck. Referrals are awesome, but remember- we are a UNION company, first and foremost. When those goes by the wayside, so does our niche and the business model itself will start to decay leaving us at the same level as State Farm, New York Life, Farmers, etc...just a general insurance company looking to present to anybody willing to listen to our "spiel".

4) Educate your Agency Owners (running their own office) about business & tax legalities. Don't force them to invest their money, hire associates under the table, put agents on mandatory schedules...and then when they get in trouble hide behind the "Oh, well they are an independent contractor" guise. Step up and take ownership of the actions of those below you that you have mentored.

5) Do more with less. Currently as a company I feel we could double our production but cutting 1/3 of our agency force and cutting recruiting efforts by over 66%...this would leave 2-3 uninterrupted weeks to devote to the proper mentoring of those associates we bring on to our respective teams and provide the time needed for managers to increase production so junior managers can afford to give away some business to a new associate once they pass their state licensing exam. If you want to recruit every week, you personally should pay for the staff to do so instead of shifting the financial & logistical burden onto managers below you w/ a fraction of your income.

6) Be upfront and don't tell lies to people in the hiring process. Set up clear expectations (in writing) and don't be afraid to sign your name on the line of what the position will entail from day 1 - retirement.

7) Make a commitment to yourself that you will help this company be great again- yes we are making more $$ than ever before and our company's growth is nothing short of admirable....let's just leave a smaller "trail of blood" in the process and not build OUR dreams on the obliterated ones of wide-eyed newbies who often entrust us with the last bit of money, time, and trust they have left during these rough times. Let's be a positive example for labor and not a thorn in its side.

8) Create a more formal business structure by creating roles for key associates and assisting junior managers with their investments in the structure of their business...instead of giving away thousands of dollars of I-pads, vacations and other ridiculous prizes that only benefit the top 10% of the company. It's time to stop making a non-MLM company appear like one.

great company, great compensation.

Current Employee - Supervising Agent  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Aurora, CO

I have been working at American Income Life as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You get paid according to the effort you put in. Incredible training and value of their agents. This company is changing my life. Those dreams that I was scared of, are becoming true.

Cons

long hours, but they become less as time goes by

Keep it up!

Life Changing Company

Current Employee - General Agent  in  Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - General Agent in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, positive environment and atmosphere, awesome co-workers, great training opportunities, challenging, exciting advancement opportunities

Cons

Intense initial schedule, difficult balance between work and home.

Keep everything just the way it is!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Supervising Agent
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent

I have been working at American Income Life as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There is so much opportunity for advancement. Great career if u put the work in.

Cons

I do not have any

Supervising Agent

Current Employee - Supervising Agent  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

The amazing opportunity and group of people that care about my success!!

Cons

It does take a lot of hard work

Keep pushing and striving for any one under you to create an amazing future as well

Will drain you if you let them, but good job and support if you can maintain a work/life balance.

Current Employee - Sales Agent  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Blue Bell, PA

Pros

Great training and support. Great compensation and generous bonuses.

Cons

Must fight for work/life balance. If you are thick skinned and talented it can work. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are comfortable with sales and enjoy people, this company will support and encourage your success.

Accept that even if you choose not to, most people have lives outside of office.

Opportunity to have financial freedom.

Current Employee - AIL Benefits Coordinator  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - AIL Benefits Coordinator in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Truly help families who need coverage while getting financially rewarded.

Cons

The ability to make your own schedule is a pro and con. If your work ethic is weak so will your paycheck.

No micro management, better recruitment structure.

Changed my life!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

I could never go back to a 9-5 job or even sit behind a desk after joining American Income Life. I have walked into a growing culture. The team I am apart of is not co workers we are a family! Always looking after one and other . The systems are amazing the people are the most amazing you could never surround yourself with better! Choosing this path was nothing more than a blessing! Best part, Yes I Work HARD but I get the pay I deserve!

Cons

challenges no matter where you go! Truth is that is you work hard it will pay off!

What you really don't know about these bad reviews

Current Employee - Hiring Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Hiring Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at American Income Life part-time for less than a year

Pros

This is an awesome place to work, with a great and motivating atmosphere. You get paid for the work that you do. It is disappointing that several of the reviews on here are from people who refused to work when needed, so they didn't get paid and then they complain. A lot of my fellow colleagues really enjoy the pay structure and work hard and get paid in an appreciative way. You get the opportunity to grow within a company. It's very hard to just cap off and they also provide such awesome hands on training that you get to acquire the skills that would make you successful in any business management position.

Cons

Traveling - from what I hear. I'm an HR at my office, but am good friends with a lot of the agents. They say that the hardest thing would be traveling and having to put together road trip stops. But what I would really like to talk about are all the people who post bad reviews and call this company a scam. Most of these people are former employees, who refused to work...so they did not get paid. They complain about performance based pay, when they were hired on they signed paperwork stating that they understand how we pay and when we pay. Whenever they failed to perform at work and did not receive any compensation, they quit and decided to post reviews that are horrible and so untrue. I'm sorry to all who were fired or quit on your own terms, but it should be no surprise to you or anyone for that matter - that you cannot sit on your bum and do nothing and expect the kind of compensation that this company offers.

I love the management. I think that it can get hectic at times, but then again we constantly have people who are coming in for training or being promoted and relocated. Which is never a bad thing. I do think that we should all try to address the reviews on websites of our company.

Team #no Excuses in Phoenix Arizona

Current Employee - Hiring Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Hiring Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team building environment that allows you to grow as big as you aspire to be. You can achieve your self worth!

Cons

Freedom to run your own schedule without micromanagement is a double edged sword!

Don't try to recreate the wheel!

American Income Life Photos

Worked for American Income Life? Contribute to the Community!