American Income Life Reviews

Reset
3.2
American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money if you have what it takes to make the sale (in 20 reviews)

• If you have no moral compass then you can make a lot of money (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes I may work long hours (in 67 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 10 reviews)

Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!

Current Employee - Regional Director
    Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Before I give advice to management (see below) I would like to give some advice to those reading reviews: 90% of the content of the negative reviews you see on this site are TRUE, to one degree or another. But remember, no one generally goes to the internet to blog about how great things are- it's usually to complain or expose what they feel is negative. However, some red flags for you (the potential job seeker) when you are reading reviews: if someone says the word "employee" in their review you can essentially disregard the rest of the review due to the actual nature of the contract they signed. Also, if someone complains about travelling they simply were not paying attention to the interview process (or the local office wasn't being truthful)- they were blinded by the $$ potential. And finally if anyone complains about management not being truthful, in most cases I have observed it's because they came ill-prepared for the interview and did not ask enough and/or the right questions. To expand on that, another huge reason for attrition is lack of spousal support. The new associate might not have clearly explained the opportunity & its requirements to their spouse or s/o- approx. I would put the figure of dissatisfied agents around 60% of the total % of dissatisfied agents that promise their better halves the world via this opportunity and do not prepare them for the initial 3-6 month grind required to be successful long-term. My advice to candidates: don't sign on the dot for the job- ask to ride along (job shadow) the person interviewing for a day or two before committing to the opportunity. Also, once you commit: do so for a minimum of 6-months. This is not a career you can gauge on a daily or weekly basis. Now that I have said that, I am exited to provide some valuable some advice to the management: 1) Stop hiring everybody! This career should not be someone's first "real job"...you really do need a bit of good educational or professional experience (at minimum an internship or working entry-level at a successful company, regardless of industry) prior to joining AIL. AIL is only good for a gateway into the financial services industry, not into the general realm of employment itself! By hiring bad candidates you alienate the good candidates in your organization and the opportunity does not seem that special anymore, hurting agency culture and individual drive. 2) Hire by necessity- not in advance to replace the inevitable turnover. If you are losing agents left and right, aggressive hiring on a weekly basis will do nothing but apply a 1-month Band-Aid to the solution and fill the pockets of your SGA!! In order to stop turnover, book a ton of interviews and only select the absolute best candidates, mentor them to obtain their license, and support them during their 1st 90 days as if they were the last agents you are ever going to hire. In short, don't hire their replacement until they give you a reason to do so. 3) Know your territory and the opportunities/constraints it provides, don't out hire your available resources to where your agents must produce 90% of their leads by referrals just to have a weekly paycheck. Referrals are awesome, but remember- we are a UNION company, first and foremost. When those goes by the wayside, so does our niche and the business model itself will start to decay leaving us at the same level as State Farm, New York Life, Farmers, etc...just a general insurance company looking to present to anybody willing to listen to our "spiel". 4) Educate your Agency Owners (running their own office) about business & tax legalities. Don't force them to invest their money, hire associates under the table, put agents on mandatory schedules...and then when they get in trouble hide behind the "Oh, well they are an independent contractor" guise. Step up and take ownership of the actions of those below you that you have mentored. 5) Do more with less. Currently as a company I feel we could double our production but cutting 1/3 of our agency force and cutting recruiting efforts by over 66%...this would leave 2-3 uninterrupted weeks to devote to the proper mentoring of those associates we bring on to our respective teams and provide the time needed for managers to increase production so junior managers can afford to give away some business to a new associate once they pass their state licensing exam. If you want to recruit every week, you personally should pay for the staff to do so instead of shifting the financial & logistical burden onto managers below you w/ a fraction of your income. 6) Be upfront and don't tell lies to people in the hiring process. Set up clear expectations (in writing) and don't be afraid to sign your name on the line of what the position will entail from day 1 - retirement. 7) Make a commitment to yourself that you will help this company be great again- yes we are making more $$ than ever before and our company's growth is nothing short of admirable....let's just leave a smaller "trail of blood" in the process and not build OUR dreams on the obliterated ones of wide-eyed newbies who often entrust us with the last bit of money, time, and trust they have left during these rough times. Let's be a positive example for labor and not a thorn in its side. 8) Create a more formal business structure by creating roles for key associates and assisting junior managers with their investments in the structure of their business...instead of giving away thousands of dollars of I-pads, vacations and other ridiculous prizes that only benefit the top 10% of the company. It's time to stop making a non-MLM company appear like one.

HERE IS THE REAL DEAL!

Current Employee - Manager in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money you make is life changing

Cons

If it were easy everyone would be doing it. This is not a part time job or a temporary position.

3. Insurance Agent

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

It is a great place to work as well as get great training. They provide you with leads and prepare you to go out to the homes of the customer and make a great presentation.

Cons

I don't have anything to say negative about working for this company. It is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

They have a great management team and I don't have any thing to say about the way they manage.

5. Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at American Income Life (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, Good management team

Cons

No base salary,salaries based on conmission

Great company with huge earning potential

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

*Phenomenal income potential *Incredible management *Great support system *Clear bonus structure *Huge incentives for recruiting others (not MLM!) This is a totally legit company, the 2nd largest in the world of its kind, and with a lot of hard work, is VERY lucrative.

Cons

As some others have said, HUGE problem with work/life balance. By that, I mean zero work/life balance. Expect, for at least the first year or two, to work a minimum of 55-60 hours per week. If you plan on management, the most profitable choice, expect to be in the 80-85+ range.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive, and make it fun!

7. Insurance Sales Representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was at an Agency with a good amount of training by people who truly wanted to help me win.

Cons

It is 100% commission and like anything it takes a little while to learn the ins and outs of it.

8. great at getting the job done protecting families.

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Great job to get started into the business also great leadership as well

Cons

Lots of hours, commission only (but very high commissions!!)

Advice to Management

Need more supplies to be provided for your agents going on the field.

Real Deal- Never said it was easy but it's all about what you put in.

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Erie, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Opportunity for driven, motivated and educated people who can learn fast. You get to interact and meet people you never would in your life time. You will serve and try to protect the people and the community everyday. Provide for food banks and helping people on a daily basis. Caring and giving while you create a living, but the people come first. You can create your own schedule for the most part. If being your own boss and being a leader is ideal for you then this works. Amazing Products, wouldn't want to ever sell for any other Insurance Company EVER !!!!. We have the best products and policies around. Work with a great group of positive people.

Cons

Drive a lot, stressful, long hours, Worlds in YOUR HANDS,.... but that's also a VERY GOOD thing as well.

Advice to Management

Work hard and you can create anything you want in life.

10. Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of chances to move up in the company and get a lot of bonuses. It can be a good sales career. Best if you are young and single.

Cons

Some things about the job are not explained when you first get into it or are worded in a way to make it sound better than it is.

Skeptical at first.... So glad I gave them a chance.

Current Employee - Agent in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Agent in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at American Income Life (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely not just a number coming into this office. I was very skeptical coming into this position after reading the reviews online. In fact, I attempted to quit before I even started. Britton (the manager that interviewed me), actually called me himself to explain things more thoroughly and answer any and all of my doubts. He could have given up on me before I even started but that just shows the type of leader Britton is. So incredibly thankful he extended this opportunity, and believed in me. I not only learned the business aspect of things, but also countless qualities to apply in every day life. I have grown so much not only as a business professional, but an individual with this opportunity. The rest of management is also focused on helping you succeed. You can call Tim or Jon at any hour of the day and they will help you with anything you need. They are always "on-call" and I know in any of my past companies, the managers work an eighth of the time their employees do. These guys put in twice the effort/time just to help you succeed. THE PEOPLE THAT DO NOT SUCCEED IN THIS COMPANY DO NOT GO TO WORK. It's as easy as that. They took advantage of the freedom and flexibility and couldn't understand why they go to work 2 days a week, and couldn't make the money they advertise in the interview. If you find a career they hand out 4k a week for sitting at home sleeping in let me know, AIL doesn't do that either but they will put 14k in your bank account on a Monday for putting in that extra 3 hours on a Saturday. Love that I am in control of my own business. No one hovering over me. Training is shadowing with a manager. And Paid, I made $700 my first week. Legit. Unlimited bonuses. And residuals. You are recognized for your achievements. Company wide.

Cons

Office Setting- could use more offices/space in general. Long hours sometimes. Role playing during training... terrible. Programming could be updated. Start up costs if you don't already have a computer or license, or a job.

RSS Feed </> Embed