American Income Life

American Income Life Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

American Income Life CEO Roger Smith

Roger Smith

Pros
  • There really is opportunity to make a lot of money, but if AND ONLY IF you are truly a sales person (in 14 reviews)

• also a great opportunity to make money (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not any cons that I can think of other than the long hours (in 50 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Unlimited Opportunity

Supervising Agent (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Pros- Unlimited earning potential
    - Opportunity to move up into management quickly
    - The job is easy, but not simple (training takes care of everything)
    - A great team that works well together... the wrong people don't make it

Cons- Long hours, especially for management
    - Lots of work on the telephone

Advice to Senior ManagementNew employees love the opportunity to move up quickly!

Opportunity of a lifetime!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sharonville, OH

ProsAmerican Income Life offers unlimited opportunity. I have only worked for AIL for a short period, however I have already experienced overwhelmingly positive results. With the advice and guidance of my management team, as well as my own hard work, I have already been able to gain financial stability and advance into management. The work environment is extremely upbeat and there is always someone willing to help out or give advice if needed.

ConsIn order to be successful, you must be highly motivated and willing to work hard.

Self employed yet micromanaged as if you were on salary.

Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) Cape Coral, FL

ProsGood place to learn about sales at your own expense not theirs.

Cons6 day work week. self employed. But they micro manage you as if they were paying you a salary. They want you to be a walking telemarketer for them requiring you to lean a script "verbatim" other wise you are out. They treat you as a novice when you many have more experience than they do. Aka they want to control you but not pay you a salary to do so. If you leave they keep your accounts. You need to book appointments in their office not yours. They tape your phone calls and read your computer at will.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo serious sales professional will ever put up your nonsense. Stick to inexperienced newbies to read your canned sales pitch. I sold to professional buyers. If I ever walked in with a "canned" sales pitch like the one you require everyone to remember verbatim I would be thrown out the door 1 minute into the presentation. If I am earning my own living with no absolutely no financial support from your company you have no right what so ever to tell me how to run my business or micro manage me. You guys have to be kidding!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good job if you are young, single, and are okay with spending all your time making money

LIfe Sales Agent (Current Employee) Concord, CA

Pros-Wonderful people to work with
    -You aren't stuck in an office all day
    -There is real potential to make lots of money
    -Room for lots of tax right-offs

Cons-Leads are cold and often angry. There have been days where I've spent 10 hours making phone calls and only booked two or three appointments. Almost every lead has been seen by us before and most of the time don't want to be seen. You are told to even call people who have "DO NOT CALL" by their names. People who don't answer their phones have us showing up on their doormats trying to book appointments.
    -Constantly pressured to get referrals. With referrals we tell clients that we are proving their friends/family with "no-cost' benefits when instead its our way to try to sell them insurance. If you don't ask for these referrals they will decrease the amount of leads they give you. They always talk about how expensive the leads are, but the average lead I've seen is from 2010.
    -1099: You are told as a 1099 that you are your own boss and you make your own schedule. Your first week you are given a scheduled and are pressured into following it. If you don't work 10-12 hr days, 6 days a week, you are considered lazy. If you have a bad sales week, they blame it on you not working hard enough. If you want to take an extra day off to get more training, its a bad idea to them. If you are out their trying to sell and you fail, it doesn't cost them anything. You are wasting your time and money on a week if you zero out. Then your name is on the board and they say that you were lazy for not selling.
    -Recruiting is a lie. All of us agents even laugh a little when we see the new recruits at orientation because we see that they were fooled like us too. Almost everything in orientation was either a lie or greatly exaggerated. They will tell you that the colors of the names on the board mean something so that they can point out the people with the highest numbers.
    -Their health plan is shady. I asked what the rates were and they said it was "different for everyone and I'm not sure how it works." It's based on how long you've been with the agency, plus your sales, age, and who knows what else.
    -Depending on what type of appointment you go to, your title changes. You can be "Union Service Representative" "Service Supervisor" "Life Sales Agent" and "Child Safety Representative" throughout the course of a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit adding so much pressure to your "employees" (1099). Happy people work better. Try to appreciate rather than scold them for every little thing that goes wrong. DON'T BE MICROMANAGING NAZIS!

Lot's of hours and hard work but can be well worth it

General Manager (Former Employee) Concord, CA

ProsUnlimited income potential, weekly checks, HUGE bonuses, meeting great people. Awesome conventions where I got to vacation at places like the Bahamas, Cancun, and Boca Raton. Also you can more or less set your own schedule.

ConsStraight commission, negative sales people who really should find something else to do. Residual income is a joke. Mine has gone from $3k a month to $800. Also because you do set your own hours it means long work days and no paid sick leave or time off. Have to be very careful about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe straight up about it being a sales job, and more hands on training. Offer better bonuses, and stop having home office have control of the leads, give it back to the local agencies and have their own PR do the work.

opportunity Unlimited

Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI love American Income Life! One could not ask for a better management team. They are truly there for the success of you. the only way you can fail at ALI is to quit. If it was easy everyone would do it. everyone struggle but stay with it and you will be rewarded. were a close family union family and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Consones that lack motivation and self confidence WILL struggle. One must like people.

Advice to Senior ManagementNONE keep up the good work you guys are the best

Total crap

Field Agent (Former Employee) Evansville, IN

ProsIf you like working for free, by all means this is the best place for you!
    Clean office, prompt communication responses, nice first week of classroom training

ConsNothing in the interview is the full truth of the job. They don't mention the steps you have to take to actually achieve what they say your pay is. A lot of fancy charts, loud web cam meetings about their awesomeness, however, nothing works in the favor of hard working new employees. Worked here 1 month, figured out all the twists and turns, and left as soon as possible. I will not respect or work for an employer who lies to get his quota. Therefore, you could call this a big ol scam.

Advice to Senior ManagementGolden rule is a wonderful thing. Don't treat others like scum or fools. Especially when you lie to grow your team quickly, then poof 6 people leave per week, however 6 new hopeless souls come aboard a week to keep the office full. Not knowing what they've gotten themselves into.

Never work for this company.

Insurance Producer (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsIf you are a shark you will do well and make a lot of money off the backs of others.

ConsThe reviews on this site for this company are very obviously fake. It surprises me that this company's policies are even legal. They lie to lower middle class people to get them to buy insurance policies that they can not afford and do not need

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling workers to lie.

Insurance Salesman

Porducer (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsThere is a huge opportunity to make money if you can stay with the company for a few years.

ConsYou will not stay with the company for a few years. A lot of what they tell you is just barely true enough for it to be legal. The environment is a sort of odd pyramid scheme where you have a boss that takes a piece of what you make and his boss takes a piece of what both of you make, ect. It doesn't sound so bad, but when you count in the fact that about 90% of the people that work with this company will not be there in two years all of the money flows straight to the top. I will make this as simple as I can to describe this job, "YOU TRICK POOR PEOPLE INTO BUYING SOMETHING THAT THEY DO NOT NEED AND CANNOT AFFORD". After three months with this company I was the only one left out of the 25-ish people that I was hired with. These people care about money and nothing else, if that is what you want to do with the rest of your life with 70 hr work weeks go ahead and apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all know everyone who works here stretches the truth or flat out lies to sell these insurance policies, how about lets tell the truth for once.

Waste of time, I'm very patient and only lasted 3 months

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

Prosmade me come out of my shell when talking to others and I guess cheaper life insurance for you in a sense

I can help others from getting into this business

Cons- tough on relationships due to the long hours ( common to work 8a-9p hours with only a half hour lunch at noon )
    - first two months you don't get paid because your learning
    - they hide important information from you like when you are suppose to receive your reimbursement
    - they know how to twist facts
    - they lie to their customers and distort the truth to get them to buy
    - can't get anywhere unless you're management with at least 5 people below you
    - gas is expensive and it's out of your pocket - averaged 110+ miles a day
    - I drove at least 4 hours a day. an hour to and from the main office and then a couple hours total b/w houses
    - no health insurance, retirement, 401k, dental, etc. everything is out of your pocket
    - blamed me for lack of sales even though both areas i was assigned were just seen

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say your going to pay us during training unless you are going to pay us during training

HAVE MORE RESPECT TO THE ONES BELOW YOU. THE HARDER WE WORK, THE MORE YOU GET PAID.

WHEN RECRUITING, DON'T SAY YOU PERSONALLY WILL MAKE 100K THIS YEAR AND A COUPLE DOORS LATER SAY IT'S 80K

Worked for American Income Life? Contribute to the Community!