American Income Life

Updated January 30, 2015
3.1

American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money if you have what it takes to make the sale (in 20 reviews)

• If you are a shark you will do well and make a lot of money off the backs of others (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not any cons that I can think of other than the long hours (in 67 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Life changing!

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Burlington, MA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job is what you make it! You put in the hard work and are determined to be successful, than you manager and you team will help you get there.

Cons

Nothing really, other than the long hours. But work smart and it will be all worth it in the end.

Opportunity Unlimited!

Current Employee - General Agent in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - General Agent in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Income Life as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

This company has been a wonderful opportunity for me! You can go as far as you want to go, you choose your own path. It is the vehicle you can use to get your dreams, whether that dream is money, recognition, early retirement... the sky is the limit! I couldn't ask for a more supportive work environment and I LOVE my coworkers!

Cons

Its not for everyone...It takes hard work and commitment-but its SO worth it in the end!

Those looking into American Income as a possible career path

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First of all I would like to tell you if you are on here reading reviews researching the company much like I was about 3 years ago, you really want to know whats in the "fine print" of what this business has to offer? right? Well let me tell you, I come from a mining back round, I don't come from money or a wealthy family, from a small town. But what does that mean to American Income? Absolutely nothing! Why? Because I AM the one that decided I was going to be successful, when they give you a script and say this is worth $100,000 a year(took me 2 years to make that), you have to take that personal! Prove it wrong, like I wanted, and learn it! If you "try" this business it will try you back just as hard, and I'm not going to lie and give you all blue sky's you have to put in a lot of time up front, yes 60-70 hours a week! (i put in probably 50 hours a week now average) BUT if you stay committed and give this business 6 months of your absolute best, it will give you the rest of your life.
    Your managers care just as much about your success as you do! Where can you find this??

Cons

The only Cons i see are negative reviews on here that say "Former employee, less then a year"
    What this tells me is that these people were not disciplined enough for this business, or committed. in fact these people aren't "qualified" enough to put in their input, because they weren't committed, to their own success.

Keep doing what you're doing, make sure you are there for your people, take care of them they will take care of you.

Interesting...to say the least

Current Employee - Life Insurance Agent in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Agent in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture is very young, which I suppose can also be a con. But there is a lot of positive energy swirling around. SA's are very helpful, and for the most part want to see you succeed. After all, your checks bring them more checks. Helping people set up plans for their families and final expenses.

Cons

Training is unpaid. You have to come out of pocket for everything; your online course, you state testing, background check, and licensing. It wouldn't be so bad if training was paid, because at least you'd be getting money to compensate. The way the pay is initially explained is a 100% lie. You're told pay is guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed, as this is an insurance sales job, which means 100% commission. Hours are long, demanding, AND mandantory. Seeing as you're technically an independent contractor, I don't see how I can be told when and what time I need to come into the office or go out to see clients.

Be 100% honest and forthcoming with information about the company. This way, the turnover rate would be much lower, and you'd attract people who would really want to do this type of work

Interesting...to say the least

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in North Royalton, OH
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in North Royalton, OH

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

Very young and upbeat positive environment. Pretty good training. Ability to grow is not unreachable. Commission percentage is good.

Cons

The hours are set and mandatory. The beauty about being an insurance agent, or a 1099 employee period is the ability to make your own schedule. You work 6 days a week. The company is not upfront about how you will get paid. Initially they tell you theres some sort of base pay plus commission. When in all actuality, this job is 100% commission. No part of training is paid either, and during training you can be working between 12 and 14 hour days.

Be upfront with prospective employees. Don't lie and sugarcoat things so they can "buy in". If you're upfront, you'll attract the people who really are interested in this business

This is not for everybody

Current Employee - General Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

No ceiling on income potential.
    Tremendous advancement opportunities.
    Great training and leads
    Almost anyone can get hired (as long as you don't have any felony or misdemeanor)
    Lots of paid bonuses.

Cons

As with any sales job, it is hard work. Your mind has to be completely made up that this is what you want to do. You are going to have some great weeks and poor weeks. The one thing I hated was the management wants to micromanage you. I was in management and was managed to micromanage my hierarchy. I am not a micromanager so their was this constant friction between me and the managers over me.

We are 1099 independent contractors, so we should not be demanded to do anything, as if we were getting paid a salary.

In the beginning they sell you on flexible schedule, but then they require you to be in the office for certain meetings, and expect you to be on a certain schedule on field days. Or they expect you to have a certain number of appointments before you leave the office.

Be prepared to be in constant communication with your manager. Sometimes this was annoying for me.

There are many people nation wide who are doing very well with this company. However this is not the average person in my opinion. There is way too much turnover. Less than 5 percent of the people hired in our office last year are still here this year. Most agents stick around like 3 months at the most. I believe though, this is due to just hiring any body to get numbers, instead of hiring the right person

It is possible to make a lot of money with this company, as I have made a decent living working here. But you really need to know what you are getting into before you pay money for a license. Ask a lot of questions in the interview and make sure your mind is made up and that you are committed. If you are not serious and dedicated to the process of learning, and growing... Save your self and your family the time!

It is better to hire 2 qualified people who are going to stick with you for years, than to hire 20 people who are just here for a couple months and are just going to screw the companies retention. You would be better to hire fewer people who really meet the qualifications. Stop hiring everybody!

Also, be completely honest and upfront about the cons in the final interview. Why waste time with people who are not cut out for this?

Benefits Specialist

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Appleton, WI

I worked at American Income Life

Pros

Paychecks, independence, support from team

Cons

Inconsistent, no life outside of work

No need to micromanage

waste of time

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

get make your own hours

Cons

tough job to get used to

train better

Supervising agent at AIL. I have been there for a year and a half.

Current Employee - Supervising Agent
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High income! I made six figures in my first year! Great work/life balance for the income potential. Unique opportunity within a niche market of 30,000 contracted groups. No cold calling. I always have a place to go and a reason to be there. Ownership!! Vested renewals for life is incredible.

Cons

Missing dinner with my family many nights. Irregular hours. Micro-managing can be too much. Dealing with rejection, buyers remorse etc... Promotions are not clearly defined, but worth it when you get to that MGA position.

Invest more into your business. Hire more recruiters to give more codes to your team. It's tough to do it all.

Single college grad loving my 1st job!

Current Employee - Benefits Representative in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits Representative in State College, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

work & fun & money are like all the same! We have fun were a big family and love to work hard and play hard!!! :0

Cons

No cons no way i love it!

American Income Life Photos