American Income Life

Updated December 21, 2014
3.1

American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money if you have what it takes to make the sale (in 20 reviews)

• If you are a shark you will do well and make a lot of money off the backs of others (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not any cons that I can think of other than the long hours (in 67 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

One big lie

Former Employee - Benefits Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Benefits Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are not many pros with this company unless your on top of the pyramid. Dressing in business casual wear is the only pro of the job

Cons

The company does not give you anything to help you out. Your considered a independent contractor that uses your own vehicle, own gas, own cell phone. With that being said, they still require you to come into the office from 9am-9pm certain days of the week unpaid volunteer time basically. STRAIGHT COMMISSION. no base salary or hourly. Your so called union leads have been chewed up and spit out within months by previous agents who have called. They tell the agents to tell the clients we HAVE to come out to get a paper signed yet union presidents of these companies said it is not required. You will be lucky to break even as an agent. I've put in my 70-80 hours weekly working 6-7 days a week in just to make enough to cover my fuel expenses and put a little in my pocket for bills. Unless you have 50 personal friends that need life insurance, dont waste your time or money with this company.

Contribute more to the employees who are making you money. This will reduce your turnover rate which is incredibly high. The GAs, MGAs, and RGAs, claim they make over $200,000 a year upwards to over a million yet they still live in apartments? Stop fooling people with this crap.

Compensation

Current Employee - GA in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - GA in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I make ALOT OF MONEY you must be willing to work. You should not join this company if you dont like to work...

Cons

This is like opening up your own business that has no overhead. I would advise you to be ready to work hard and make alot of money.

The Opportunity to Reach your Highest Potential

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Launch your Sales career at AIL

At the AIL - Kevin Davis Office, our business approach is a comprehensive career development program which greatly emphasizes a philosophy, integrating classroom teaching, on-the-job training, and one-on-one mentoring in a supportive environment that is focused on employees success. Once licensed, Benefit Coordinators are positioned to build a successful career at AIL, an established company that has consistently outpaced the industry in stability and development that results not in a temporary job, but a lifelong fulfilling career.

Cons

Not for the Indolent. Hard-work, diligence and a never-say-die attitude is a must have. If you're easily offended or if you are not willing to put in the time and commitment needed during the first few years, then this isn't the place for you. But if you are a go-getter- expect to retire early, although most people enjoy the work so much they keep working!

Be less selective when recruiting. Some people may seem shy or less outgoing on the outside but they may come out of their shell eventually and perform very well.

Company will probably FAIL in next 5 years

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Income Life as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Not many things here can be considered pros. Maybe the occasional free lunch for working 20+ hr weekends.

Cons

where to start? unethical hiring practices, false earning potential, crap leads that are mostly recycled, mandatory meetings and phone sessions even though your working as independent contractor for the SGA taxes benefits. Selling overly expensive policies to the hardest working demographic in our country that desires the best for us, not being ripped out to the benefit of upper level managements pay checks! The list can go on and on.... JUST DON'T GET INVOLVED WITH THIS COMPANY PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

quit trying to blind your employees with the cars and stories about wealth, your making good money, congrats. But leave it at that! They talk like they are gods or something! Your all making your money off the blood sweat and tears of the young and impressionable. Its so sad! Read so many letters from RGA stating in blunt terms about how crappy some team members were, calling them morons and ect...

Not a good one at all

Former Employee - Insurance Producer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Insurance Producer in Providence, RI

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro was that it was close to home.

Cons

Everything about them is a con

Have your employees tell the truth from the beginning.

Worst 7 months of my life and I am a very hard worker and an expert sales person!!! It was a nightmare!!

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Burlingame, CA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NONE don't let them fool you.

Cons

I am a very hard worker and expert in sales. That being said, they put the carrot in front of your nose.. just to buy time.
    All they are interested in is making money off of you and use you to do extra office hours with no pay, first because you are training and must learn to book appointments meaning booking for "free" for the other agents who are managers. Second, when you are finally promoted to supervising or general manager you must do office hours for "free" because you have the honor of being promoted to a manager. Great system!
     The leads are in the worst most dangerous areas and they expect you to work day and night! At the interview they say you are given free leads continuously. The majority of the leads are old, already been call over and over again, some have even been already presented! They don't care about who you are as a human being. You are only a number who must produce numbers. They don't care about the turnover either because there will be someone else who will fall in their trap sooner or later. All they need is to meet their numbers that is why finding and keeping quality professionals is not a priority.
     I have never been in such a manipulative deceiving non ethical environment in my life. They lie to you from the beginning to the end.

Need work ethics, honesty to clients and employees,

Love it!! Best leadership and surrounded by amazing people

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

It's a family environment! Amazing

Cons

No cons at arias agencies

Seems like a scam

Former Employee - Agent in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Agent in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They promise the opportunity to make over $52,000 a year. Also they tell you, that you can work your own hours.

Cons

In reality when you factor in the money you have to pay just to join (red flag), you aren't making much. Always be weary of any company that requires you to pay for your own training or certification. Also the money you will spend on travel and car depreciation will take it's toll. The hours you will work also do not add up for your pay. 60 hours a week making around $40,000 a year without benefits adds up to around $13.00 an hour ( you could make more bar-tending). You will have no days off, holidays, or benefits. If you are a college graduate this company will seek you out, do not fall for it. There are many other legitimate companies out there that have good paying jobs that include the benefits and freedom you need. This company targets you because they know you are hungry for a job.

It was a lot of up front money with no training salary which I never recouped

I worked at American Income Life

Pros

Work for yourself as an independent

Cons

there was no training salary

There is no money to be made in this company, it's a revolving door, most new agents last 2-3 months

Former Employee - Supervising Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Supervising Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Income Life as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I can't think of one

Cons

Horrible business model, selling over-priced insurance to zero to low income families who don't know any better. Bait and Switch sales tactics.

They just settled a class action lawsuit in California that was filed by former agents for their recruiting, non-payment for training, etc... When you quit, they do not pay you the money owed as promised as your premiums continue to come in.

Outside Sales in the worst neighborhoods in the city. I was a manager and I made 13K in the year that I worked there. Put about 20K miles on my car and spent about 13K on gas. Plus as a Manager they increase your workload tremendously, but don't pay you for any of the work.

Worst year of my life!

Your company has no future, you act as if the internet doesn't exist and people can actually research your practices.

American Income Life Photos