American Income Life

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money if you have what it takes to make the sale (in 20 reviews)

• If you are a shark you will do well and make a lot of money off the backs of others (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not any cons that I can think of other than the long hours (in 67 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A BUNCH OF FINGER POINTERS!

Current Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This opportunity is amazing! Been here for 11 month's and have averaged 2 thousand dollar pay checks per week. One week i made $5600!

Cons

Yes its hard. But it if were easy everyone would be doing it. all of the people you see complaining are people who were unable to do the job because at the end of the day they were not willing to put in the hard work. See you at Mc Donalds! and yes i want fries with that : )

the management staff at this company makes sure that if you put in the work your successful. my advice to someone looking for a job is " if you are looking for $300 a week and easy go to the post office, if you are looking for 2k+ per week and hard work and a bright future don't scare you join the club we are in all 50 states as well as internationally!

Packs of Lies, Half truths and Weasel Words. Avoid at all Costs

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to make lots of money (If you are lucky and have the right clients and charm)
    Friendly atmosphere (Fellow agents are like family. I enjoyed every moment being around them)
    Given Leads when released from training, ability to get more Union leads if you sell to more Union members (the target demographic of AIL).
    Good Commission rate
    Lots of bonuses
    Part of your paycheck goes towards a 'bucket' to protect you from people who cancel(although it really only goes into effect later down your career)

Cons

Schedules are not Flexible in any ways shape or form.- Even if you need to see the dentist, or come in a little late management will get mad with you. Schedules are so 'flexible' that you'll be in the office 20 hours a week, then invest another 50 hours in driving atleast an hour away to sell insurance. And if you don't sell enough you will have to come in Sundays to schedule for the rest of the week. That's the 'flexibility' of AIL.

On top of that they really downplay the amount of time you will be investing. We where lead to believe that coming in to the office at 8am and leaving by 1-3pm was an easy thing to do. Just another lie. A large majority of the agents came in at 10:30am and left when we legally weren't allowed to call, 9 pm

Do not expect to make the $60k-$80k a year they promise. Only a few in our agency actually made a consistent $2200 ALP a week (annualized life premium). On top of that, many of the people canceled their policies the next day, or gave out bogus bank info, or didn't have enough money in their account. Which then, if AIL pays you, and the people cancel, you have to pay AIL back(I believe this is a fair practice, however you still have bills that need to be paid). And if you are lucky, you will have clients that can actually afford insurance. I've sold to mainly lower income families, a good number where on disability, and some of which used their oven to heat their house/apartment.

There are Mandatory meetings, our office had to drive 2-3 hours away for essentially a prep rally every month. Granted, it was a car pool and people pitched in for gas. But it still took time away from your life or even time you could be selling. There are then 2 weekly meeting that you have to attend. One was a meeting you could really just ignore. The other was another prep rally, except this time you get a bonus check and don't have to drive anywhere. But it still took 2 hours away from calling for appointments. These are required, which brings us to the next point, you are treated like a W-2.

Do not be expected to be treated like the 1099 Independent Contractor. They treat you like a W-2. Management has this mentality that they are literally your boss, and can just order you around. Unlike an actual 1099 where you don't work for a firm, you do work for the firm.

It is a part telemarketing, cold calling thing (which at interview we where told there is no cold calling...another lie.)
    You have to call to schedule appointments. Sometimes you only need to call a lead once a day, sometimes you'll get through your lead book and call the same people twice a day. At appointments you have to squeeze leads out of them. Friends, family, work members whom they know. You then cold call all of the new leads trying to set appointments. 90% of the time they will not know who you are, or why your calling (it's 'warm calling' because the original lead was supposed to tell their friends/family that you are going to call, but they never do). Then you set appointments with friends/family of those references and the cycle continues.

If you don't have enough appointments in a day you have to call everyone back and reschedule to another day. Which annoys a lot of clients.

You are also expected to have back to back appointments, and you will be late or skip a lot of appointments because you are at an appointment you where supposed to be at an hour before. Which really, really annoys clients.

The 'make as much as you want' isn't really as true as they imply. Sure, book more appointments, sell more and you will make more. Still doesn't negate the fact that you have to do the sales presentation the same way every time (takes about an hour) and you can only fit in so many appointments into a day.

Managers love to use weasel words, and promote things you didn't say.

So in summery,
    No flexible schedules
    The compensation they promise is not true
    Most of the clients (in our offices experience, anyway) cancel their policies
    There are mandatory weekly meetings (Even as a 1099 Independent contractor)
    You are not treated like the 'be your own boss' 1099, instead they treat you like a W-2
    Most of what you do is cold calling (on office days).
    Or on Field Days you will be doing a lot of driving, your own vehicle, your own gas. And you can only write off either the mileage or gas expense on your taxes.
    They really downplay the amount of time you will invest.
    Managers act like sharks in a sea of goldfish. Very manipulative in communication with agents and clients alike to fish(no pun intended) for a 'yes' or to 'force' them to buy the insurance (nothing illegal like coercion, just weasel words and putting words in clients mouths so they agree to buy)

Other than that, I agree with every Con point made by the Regional Manager on Sept 2, 2014.

Quite lying so much when hiring people. Quit treating people like they're expendable, then work overtime trying to hire new agents because the old ones are quitting(this had a serious effect on mine and a few other agents training).

Loss of money

I worked at American Income Life full-time

Pros

A job opportunity is a job opportunity.

Cons

If you ever get a call from American Income Insurance Company - hang up very quickly. It's not a job opportunity, but rather a slave opportunity. I "worked" for them several years ago, cost me $4500 to make $3000. Nothing was as they said it was.

Be more professional. Change the video on your website (it actually includes rapping).

Don't do it.

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

There are none. It's just like a vacuum sales company. A lot of ways to makes you think you are getting a real jon but they are just trying to trick you into door to door sales.

Cons

Again this entire company is a scam. Don't waste your time and gas going. Your better off pan handling.

Scam that can be smelled from a mile away and that is the interview

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

IF you are currently unemployed with no prospects then this is the perfect place. IF you have any other avenue take them.

Cons

They insist on wasting the time of professional seeking a career in customer service. They will take on anyone who walks in the door and can write their name. The turn over is high because I have walked in and out that door 3 times and they still call asking if I want 'employment' with them. IF you are seeking a career.... A REAL one dont waste you time with this company

Stop wasting people's time.

False, misleading..lies to get recruits

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Ballwin, MO

I worked at American Income Life as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are none..owner lies to get recruits..high turn over..Would not recommend this particular agency to ANYONE

Cons

Was told would be paid $500 week while in training. That was a lie, have to sell $1,000 worth of insurance first. Was told would be working in my zip code..That was a lie, spend more time driving around than anything else. Told you don't pay union dues till after 90 days..That was a lie, they take out union dues the first month. Was told "can make tons of money on reinstatements"..That was a lie, took out 73 of them and they all had disconnected phone numbers and had moved leaving no forwarding addresses..Office girls don't keep up with the change of address forms or else they're too overwhelmed or both..

After I left there I interviewed with 4 other agencies and they all said the same thing..this particular agency is not reputable..The company may be but not this particular agency who lies just to get recruits.

MLM Scam. Run away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I worked at American Income Life

Pros

Leads are provided. They give the poor people that they sell terrible policies to a turkey on thanksgiving, so thats something.

Cons

This is a multi level marketing (pyramid scam). This company preys on those just entering the job market or desperate for work. You will be asked to recruit as much as possible. The other part of the job involves cold calling union members that they deceived into getting their contact info, setting an appointment and then selling them a bad insurance policy that many can not afford. The policies are so bad that you legally cannot encourage clients to drop other coverage they may have and switch to AIL due to consumer protection laws. That should be a red flag.

Hey you need to live with what you are doing, cant ask for any greater punishment

I choose not to disclose any information regarding this company.

I have been working at American Income Life

Pros

Please ask for all documentation regarding commission schedules/payouts upfront.

Cons

I choose not to disclose any information regarding this company.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Close to home and it is mainly highway. It was an office setting instead of manufacturing, warehouse, and/or kitchen setting.

Cons

I was asked to pay for training up front which I did not nor could I afford, $250 to $300.

I have no comment at this time...I have never been in sales for insurance but farmers emailed me with an offer of paid guaranteed training plus no share of commission and benefits.

It can be a great opportunity, if you have luck having start up referrals

Current Employee - Union Benefits Representative in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Union Benefits Representative in Lombard, IL

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Energetic and optimistic environment (upbeat company meetings on mondays)
    -Great people to network and work with
    -People actually care about your success here
    -You can dress down on Thursdays (for call night)
    -Pay is good if you sell certain amount of insurance (refer to cons as well)
    -1099 opportunity which means you are your own boss and it is technically your own business
    -Structured office environment that gives you resources and extra training/coaching if needed which is nice
    -Managers are really helpful, especially mine, and are willing to help you out personally for the most part which is unheard of in other industries

Cons

-They don't tell you upfront that as an "Union Benefits Representative" that you are also signing up to be a Life Insurance provider
    -in most cases, you have to invest a lot of your time and some money upfront as well.... in my case, since i had already had a temp life license before (can only have applied & used temp license ounce), i had to invest over $400 to take classes and test to even get a contract from company. Not to mention you have to also invest money for gas, i have easily spent at least $300 in gas to meet up for practice appointments and training
    -Pure commission, so if your not used to that or open to being in a sales driven position, this most likely will not be a position for you
    -Was really inconvenient that i started in the winter time, especially right before Christmas season because unfortunately it has been extremely difficult to make any sales at all
    -You have to sell at least sell $900 in whole life insurance ($75/month * 12months = $900ALP) in a week to qualify for gas bonus (which is fair). However, this coming year the company is raising it up to $1,200 in whole life/ALP to qualify for the $200 weekly gas bonus

Have more a structured field training program for beginners. It goes a long way when managers pay attention to the new people who are serious about the program. Also it would help to be on top of getting over saturated leads in packs out of those packs ASAP. From my experience, it seems to be a reoccurring thing where union members are complaining about being called on too much. Also, i have had negative experiences with parents from the child safe kit leads from elementary schools because they seem clueless about them even filling out the request cards for it.

American Income Life Photos