American Income Life Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.2

American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money if you have what it takes to make the sale (in 19 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement in as little as 4 weeks (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not any cons that I can think of other than the long hours (in 62 reviews)

• The only way to make a lot of money is to be dishonest (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Exhausting

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are your own boss, so there's no commitment to a schedule and you can take time off whenever you like. There is potential to make serious money if you are very persuasive and willing to put in 60+ hours a week.

Cons

Loads of wear & tear on your vehicle driving to appointments. Need your own laptop (must have Windows, their software is not compatible with Apple). You technically are not an employee but rather your own boss, which means you will spend considerable time and money on training and tests before getting paid. There are mandatory meetings twice a week, which normally wouldn't bother me but this is unpaid time that distracts from the job. Though you set up your own appointments, you are limited to working afternoons/nights and weekends, so it takes a toll on your personal life. You meet with individuals in their own homes at their convenience, so the hours are logical but difficult.

Stop hiring everyone just to collect their exam fees. You know this is a good opportunity for some, but many will spend a lot of their own time and resources just trying to make a living wage.

"Don't drink the kool-aid" I'm leaving for good reasons. Please read all

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Hurricane, WV
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Hurricane, WV

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good bonus structure
    Nothing else
    Watered down leads
    Move listed below
    Please read

Cons

Terrible management
    Horrible trainers
    Unprofessional
    Lies and deceit all around the board
    Read more below

Quit using and manipulating employees and clients.
    The Reality:
    Their psychological power of manipulation is very compelling. These people are masters of manipulation and intertwine their own religious beliefs to add to the perception of their conviction and belief in the business. Do not be fooled. Make them prove what they say. They instill an environment of brutal competition, pitting associates against one another for greater production and the loser is often publicly humiliated and stands to lose money as a consequence.
    When you've had enough and want to seek other employment. you will hear things like, "mental toughness", "would you quit on your hopes and dreams", "quitters never win".....they will mess you up in the head so bad that you stay on, plugging away, going deeper and deeper into a very dark place. This is also part of the psychology surrounding building a "team". Now you are directly responsible for those you have brought in under you and to the clients you have sold products to. Most people find it impossible to quit under these circumstances that they continue, regardless of their personal dilemmas. And by the way you never actually get to keep the "team" you build if you foolish enough to stick around. The divided it almost other members of management. Without cause to keep you where they need you....plugging away.

Be prepared to spend all your all and money on meetings, seminars, self-improvement, getting licensed, "office costs" "recruiter fees". Assist "plug in fees" and attending "Big Events"..... The only actual big event are for the RGA's and MGA's any underneath them is used, manipulated and disgarded

Terrible

Former Employee - Insurance Field Agent in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Field Agent in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're willing to work 24/7 and be extremely pushy with clients its OK. If you're OK spending your own gas and using your own computer and phone with no personal use compensation its alright.

Cons

Terrible management. They only care about a paycheck. Work insane hours with no guarantee of a paycheck. Management will cuss you out if you don't make sales. Its extremely difficult and there's tons of cold calling.

Managers stop lying to people when they come in. You claim they compensate for gas but they don't unless you make sales. And you claim there's no cold calling or competing with other agents but that's a big lie.

Don't do it...Joke

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Income Life as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

freedom, uncapped commission, great for beginners or someone that has no outlook

Cons

these people are all about making a buck by making less fortunate feel guilty not having a policy. they are teaching young people a sales technique that only thieves would use.

Consider separate hiring avenues for those that are more experienced...This company needs more professionalism.

Basically a scam

Former Employee - Supervising Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Supervising Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything positive about this company. I dare you to find anything else on the web that says otherwise.

Cons

Everything is just terrible. Training is awful. The product is terrible. People won't keep their policies that you basically strong armed them to get into. The demographic AIL serves hardly sees value in what you offer. You're better of going with a NY Life of Northwestern Mutual.

Treat your EMPLOYEES (not independent contractors) as employees. Train them, encourage them, help them. Perhaps this is asking too much.

The training is horrible, almost non-existent

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Income Life (less than an year)

Pros

If you have no moral compass then you can make a lot of money

Cons

No training. Your training involves a lot of "oh by the way". The managers chastise when you ask questions. The "training" takes a minimum of two months. During this time you make no income. I was actually left stranded in another state because the manager didn't want to drive me home. The senior manager did nothing.

Train your people. Provide financial assistance while training. Train your managers how to lead.

Enjoyable, results oriented. You have to WORK!

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Write your paycheck. Flexibility. Growth potential. Leadership.

Cons

Work-life balance at start. 100% commission and bonuses at all levels.

Keep up the great work!

Don't do it! Only driven by money not by customer concern or quality of business

Former Employee - Life Insurance Producer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Life Insurance Producer in Denver, CO

I worked at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really can't think of any

Cons

long hours and bad management

LEARN how to manage

We have been helping working families for over 50 years.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working at American Income because of Unlimited Opportunity.

Cons

Sometimes I may work long hours.

They promise a lot of money to get you hooked, but it's not really there.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good leadership and a positive vibe, room for advancement, they train people very well. I learned a lot while I was there.

Cons

expect to work up to 60 hours a week, completely commission based. You are selling insurance to a lot of people who don't necessarily want it, so it requires a lot of manipulating tactics, calling people over and over who don't want to talk, I felt dishonest while I worked there.

American Income Life Photos