American Institute Of Physics Reviews

H. Frederick Dylla

1. A nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institute Of Physics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, I really like working here. The people are friendly, the HR staff are helpful, and the company values its employees having a work-life balance. Most employees have their own offices, but most people keep their doors open -- you get personal space to work, but it's easy to drop in and talk to someone. Many people stick around here a long time, which I take as a good sign.

Cons

While the building itself is really nice, it's isolated both from University of Maryland and from Washington DC. There are no lunch places or coffee shops within walking distance.

Upper-level management seems to be very big on having a committee for everything, which feels a little corporate to me.

My position has very little upward mobility within the company.

Advice to Management

I haven't been here long enough to have strong feelings about the management, but I do feel that there are an excess of committees. All of those meetings can really eat into productivity.

Used to be a great company, what a shame

I worked at American Institute Of Physics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people were the best thing about AIP, along with good salaries and great benefits. Great location too. Was a wonderful place for working parents with an excellent daycare center on-site.

Cons

The worst part about working at AIP was the outsourcing and awful management. We were laid off but had to work 8 months longer to obtain severance and bonuses. The atmosphere was terrible; everybody was waiting for the ax to fall.

Advice to Management

Put the "American" back in "American Institute of Physics"! Stop outsourcing to save money and bring the work back here, where quality is not sacrificed and people take pride in their work.

Obsolete

I have been working at American Institute Of Physics

Pros

Nice place to work and get started. This was my first real job out after college. It was a great experience and a good company to work for. Free coffee and hot cocoa EVERY DAY.

Cons

This is a publishing firm for physics journals; not the most interesting content. They also do a lot of things the old way. They are never into the latest technology. I think they still use tape backups.

Advice to Management

Keep giving your employees special projects to keep it interesting. This is what kept me going and eventually gave me the skills to find another job. After I left there were massive layoffs.

5. IT Operations

Former Employee - Senior PC Technician in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Senior PC Technician in Melville, NY

I worked at American Institute Of Physics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are all professional, Salaries are above average. Good skills and career opportunities in technology and publishing.

Cons

Frequent changes in the organization, The budget seems to be getting tighter and makes the mission of the corporation side harder to figure out.

Decent non-profit organization to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I have been working at American Institute Of Physics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment, paid professional development opportunities, friendly atmosphere, friendly CEO, personal office for most employees, open-minded company values, lactation room and special accommodations for nursing/pumping mothers

Cons

Predictable pay raises, no automatic promotion (you have to ask), some disingenuos directors, some lazy/careless directors

Advice to Management

Offer promotions automatically, recognize exceptional work more often

7. Ethical Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I worked at American Institute Of Physics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package is excellent. The pension plan is excellent - that's one of the things that really sets this organization apart. The work, at least at its flagship magazine, is interesting and challenging, with plenty of opportunities to learn new skills. The atmosphere is collegial and friendly.

Cons

The salary range is somewhat below what's available in the private sector, and raises are not very substantial.

Great Not-for-Profit Association

I have been working at American Institute Of Physics (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are great. The CEO talks to everyone regularly and keeps staff as current as possible about what is going on. Salaries are good and the work load is OK. Bonuses are almost non-existent.

Cons

Changes in the organization have made the future unpredictable. The budget seems to be getting tighter and turning the publishing arm into a subsidiary makes the mission of the corporate side harder to figure out.

Advice to Management

Be as open as possible about the future.

9. AIP

Former Employee - Research Assistant in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in College Park, MD

I worked at American Institute Of Physics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very interesting place to work if you are dedicated to research. Everyone is very friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

If AIP doesn't receive the necessary funding, you may lose your job without very little notice. Don't expect a raise.

Advice to Management

Implement a workers compensation program.

10. A good place to work

I have been working at American Institute Of Physics (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is full of people at the top of their game, benefits are quite encouraging, nice building.

Cons

The introduction of a Halogen performance appraisal system means that its practically impossible to get a cost-of-living pay rise going forward. In particular, the system tries to force you into pre-determined roles which is against what most of the people employed here do. Although the building is nice its isolated from the University of Maryland and its not as easy to get downtown as you would think.

work is done over seas

I worked at American Institute Of Physics

Pros

treated well, nice people to work with.

Cons

Will ship your job over seas if it saves the company money. Many loyal people with decades long careers were let go.

RSS Feed </> Embed