American Institutes for Research Reviews

Good

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research

Pros

There is enough to learn

Cons

Nothing absolutely. No growth there

2. Good place to start your research career

Current Employee - Research Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Admirable mission and good benefits. Good place to start off your career as you can get a lot of hands-on experience and research training.

Cons

Work-life balance is bad, and the low pay makes it worse (no cost-of-living adjustment for those of us living expensive areas). Thus, people look for other opportunities after burning out.

3. Research, not successful application

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

benefits, great environment for researchers

Cons

Research institution not skilled at application and limited understanding of school improvement beyond research. No practical success and autocratic leadership style. Low comparative salary. No room for growth; company does not develop talent. Culture is competitive. To paraphrase another reviewer, 'almost do more fighting than working together.'

Develop business leadership structure and develop a true collaborative model. Value employees.

Check the IT jobs turnovers - that's a hint!

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open to trying out new technologies. If you have no options, this company may be a good start for you, especially, if you're a newbie in IT world.

Cons

Pathetic work environment especially for the IT world folks. This department is managed and controlled by a clique of folks, and if you do not swing to their music, you will be underpaid and seriously frustrated. Simply run a search for the IT turnovers at AIR and you will be amazed. Someone did mention this to me, but I didn't believe them until I joined AIR... I left in a hurry!

Change the culture in your IT department. It simply is not professional and it will deter and chance away much needed talent. The management should simple be changed!

6. Good as an entry level position

Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are very supportive which makes it grate for someone who is just out of college. You get to work on a lot of high profile projects.

Cons

There is not much mobility within the company and the work expected from an Research Assistant is not challenging. It ends up become pretty boring a repetitive

Great day to day, problematic supervisor interactions.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at American Institutes for Research as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and environment. Good flexibility. Generous company supported outings and break room amenities. Dedicated green team. Bagel Wednesdays. Good location. Makes efforts to be more bike-friendly.

Cons

In facilities, micro-managing from supervisor combined with little to no feedback from supervisor when issues that required their input arose. Received backlash each time I went around or over supervisor from supervisor to resolve outstanding issues, sometimes months old, that could have been moved forward with a simple email response. Co-workers seemed aware of situation when I arrived and all counseled "keep your head down."

When not dealing with outstanding issues of their backlash, was always told I was doing a good job, up to the point my contract was not renewed with no explanation.

Perform reviews on middle management by seeking feedback from those under them.

8. Rewarding Experience

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at American Institutes for Research as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Very skilled content teams, reasonable pay, flexibility

Cons

If upper management does not like you, you will see new hires promoted before you.

Continue to offer training and professional development as opposed to throwing employees into new tasks and then holding them accountable for what they do not know.

9. Great perks and people, young coworkers, uninteresting work

Former Intern - Test Development in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Test Development in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

nurturing environment, great coworkers, company is interested in your feedback, great perks and team development events.

Cons

Little variety in the work, often difficult to get feedback on your work, company relies heavily on temp labor.

It's important to not only ask for feedback from your employees, but also to give your employees feedback on their work.

Some RA's work hard, others do nothing. In the end, we all make the same.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

Fulfilling work working on projects that attempt to do good.

Cons

Most of your work as an RA goes unappreciated.

Consider investing more in your Level 2s. We'd stick around if you gave us a chance to grow 'up' in the company.

11. Great

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

Great work environment, very flexible, nice benefits

Cons

Some projects are better managed then others

Train people to be project directors

American Institutes for Research Photos