American Institutes for Research

American Institutes for Research President, CEO and Director David Myers

David Myers

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly invironment

Software Tester (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research as a contractor for more than a year

Prosworking environment is great. People and great to work with

ConsI don't have anything negative to say about the company

Could be better, could be worse

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome leaders are very passionate about their work.
Many of my colleagues are very smart.
AIR has a diverse range of projects that can provide some variety and interesting work.
Great benefits.
Flexibility is great. The most important focus is getting the work done, but you can shape your schedule within reason.
AIR's HQ is located near the Georgetown waterfront. This is a great area for lunch breaks, especially when the weather is nice.

ConsWork-life balance is not great, especially for those of us who are willing to work hard. A lot of hours are donated to business development.
Hit or miss project management can be frustrating.
While the pay is fair, it is not great.
It's very difficult to get promoted.
Very little racial diversity in senior positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees at all levels, especially junior levels.
Train project directors and leaders. It's not enough to be subject matter experts.
Senior managers need to get in touch with what is happening on lower levels.
Improve career paths for hard working people who want to move up.

Clique riddled, no work life balance.

Test Development Specialist (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits try to fill in the gaps where pay or commendation lacks. As long as you aren't in the CSSC or Assessment department, things seem to be pretty good for you work-wise.

ConsIt's all about who you know, and who likes you on whether you get any kind of notice or stimulating work. If you manage to make it to a position with any responsibility then they work you to the bone. 7 days a week, 10-12 or more hours a day for months on end.

Okay Starter Job

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place for young people, some good perks (free food, fun events, good coworkers)

ConsLow pay, experiences depends heavily on staff managers and bosses

A very interesting hybrid of strong nonprofit mission with corporate structure

Director (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsExcellent benefits, flexible schedules and an understanding of work-life balance; strong dedication to mission - although you may be doing business-like work it is always focused on the desire to make good change in the world. My salary is excellent compared to traditional nonprofits (although it sounds like the entry-level positions less so). Have always had lots of opportunity for professional development. Enjoy working with professional, nice people across the org here and in other offices.

ConsSome of the programs are more difficult to work with than others. A lot of the negative reviews here sound like they are from people working in one particular program that has a reputation for not valuing its people, requiring long hours and having poor management. BUT, the other programs and the administrative units have some really good people, good management, and good opportunities for advancement. If you are interviewing here you just need to keep that in mind and try to get a feel for the personality and management style of the group you'd be working in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive for a more consistent experience for all employees - work harder to help staff under difficult managers and to make sure people are rewarded, recognized and promoted without cronyism or favoritism, even if you have to work around those difficult managers.

Good place to work if you've got experience

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for less than a year

Pros-I know there are others who said that management was not supportive, but mine was very supportive.
-Great benefits
-Constant professional development

Cons-As with other nonprofits, the pay isn't so great
-Moving up in the company requires more education, like getting a Masters or PhD.

Lots of good colleagues, but too much work, low pay, and slow promotion

Research Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFirm has some excellent values and attracts some really good people in terms of skill and experience

ConsPeople kill themselves to get work done and are not appreciated - Way too managers who don't really do anything but talk about how they want to support you - advancement and promotion is slow - pay is not great and you don't get any real reward for good performance - everybody gets low increases even when company seems to be doing really well

Advice to Senior Managementbe real about what salaries outside the company are

Make clear what it takes to advance in company

Don't let managers play favorites

Limited career paths and disregard for technical skill restrict opportunities and create inefficiencies.

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are single, there are many after-hours events to get to know other employees. Also, if you already established in your career with good experience, they pay very well.

ConsIf you are just beginning your career (as I was), you will not be paid well. Also, if you have more technical skills, such as programming, you can get into a situation where they need you to use those skills, but do not provide opportunities for advancement in that line of work. The only available career track in my location was as an analyst. It also meant that they had a hard time retaining people with the technical skills they need in their line of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if analysts can be billed at a higher rate, consider creating some advancement for technically-oriented employees. Also, there was considerable cronyism in the program-level management. People who were friendly with management were promoted much more than those that were quiet and reserved, yet objectively better at their jobs.

Great work experience, low pay

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to learn valuable skills, lead tasks, and contribute to reports and proposals; friendly and supportive work environment; flexibility with hours and telecommuting arrangements; perks like free bagels on Wednesdays and annual holiday Gala

ConsIncreased responsibility does not lead to adequate promotions and raises-- As a research assistant, I spent a summer correcting incorrect data produced by someone who made 3-4x my salary. HR limits raises to a certain %, but when you start out as a research assistant making $35,000, it'd difficult to let those raises catch up to the level of work you're doing after a few years. Better to leave and come back with a PhD

Advice to Senior ManagementValue junior staff; pay them well for the work that they are doing; do away with leveled meetings that make 2s and 3s feel like they are inferior

Excellent non-profit organization in educational software and services

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible working time
Small-sized office room with no more than three persons, giving a very good working privacy.
Free coffee, soda and orange juice give extra score of the working environment.

ConsPart of the work is related to research and therefore, sometimes yields to no practical results.
My manager is too busy to talk with me.

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!

American Institutes for Research Videos

American Institutes for Research – Why Work for Us?

The American Institutes for Research (AIR), founded in 1946 as a nonprofit organization, is one of the largest behavioral and social science research organizations in the world. Our overriding goal is to use the best… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Institutes for Research reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Institutes for Research CEO David Myers. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by American Institutes for Research employees.