American Intercontinental University

Updated October 21, 2014
2.2

American Intercontinental University President Dr. George Miller
Dr. George Miller

Pros
  • They gave me an opportunity to learn basic office skills and meet some great people (in 5 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to learn A LOT and was excited, even though I disagreed with the whole for-profit idea of education (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • huge revolving door; almost as if they didn't want employees there for too long (in 6 reviews)

• I started within the past few months so I have little-to-no job security (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A very challenging place to work, and not in a good way.

Current Employee - Student Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Student Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, especially for a family.

Cons

Leadership changes consistenly, promotions are based are not based on merit or experience. The values that they say they have are excellent, too bad it does not seem like they actually practice it. The treat the employees like robots constantly adding more and more work, then wondering why it can't all get done. Some postions have one person doing the job or 3 or 4. Terrible work/life balance. You are exhaused by the time you get home from work everyday.

They really need to start valuing their employees. Stop treating people like robots.

Not What It Once Was...

Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first & at other times, very optimistic and enthusiastic about the work - the students, the institution, the company and the challenges the job presented.

401K and other benefits were offered and acceptable.

Cons

- Office politics dictated your career. Favoritism, nepotism, etc., all factored into elements of one's professional standing.
    - No motivation or encouragement for growth, promotion, productivity, etc.
    - Regularly dealt with students/clients whom were using the institution for the financial aid with no intention of earning an education
    - Proprietary Online Education is under fire at the highest levels; enrollments are dropping and thus, companies/institutions are tightening their belts - job security is not what it was 5-6 years ago

Adimmisions advisor

Former Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits; medical, dental, 401k. Lots of great co-workers in a mass cubicle environment. Room to move up if you can play the corporate game. Make a positive impact on peoples lives by helping them achieve educational goals. Good perks for employees to further their own education.

Cons

Not for everyone. High volume phone sales environment with monthly quotas and no chance for commission. Part of a collapsing industry and HIGHLY regulated. Must read from scripts and risk termination by saying specific "don'ts". Can be a stressful environment. Very high turnover and terrible rotating schedules.

Get a few years of experience and move to something better...everyone else does.

After 5 years, I still love it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Passion for serving the students is evident throughout the organization. People genuinely appear to like working here.

Cons

Parent company forces a lot of change in the organization that is beyond the control of the single University. Industry is a challenge, but that's not a reflection on the institution.

Let some of the changes stick - don't change for the sake of change.

It was a very rewarding experience helping potential students make life and career decisions.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun. I enjoyed going to work each day because no two days were the same. Did I mention, FUN!! They had the best training and the most friendly directors and upper management which made it worth it all. Besides pay. Yes I am smiling. Great company

Cons

My only problem or dislike is that I had to leave the company. I made some changes in my life but if it were a work from home position, I would do it again anxiously.

My advice to management would be when hiring new directors

Inquiry response coordinator

Former Employee - Inquiry Response Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Inquiry Response Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent to balance work and school at the time

Cons

Not much room for advancement, mundane type of job

Stay away!

Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor B in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor B in Chicago, IL

Pros

Decent benefits and some nice people to work with

Cons

There is no job security. The way Admissions Advisors are evaluated changes continuously. There is no consistency. It is a culture of favoritism and cliques. Nobody cares about you. They only care about your numbers. Instead of investing money to improve their courses and student support, they waste money on buying inquiries from shady lead aggregators and on systems to monitor their admissions advisors. Advisors have no control over their daily schedules. Between horrible attendance policies and queue adherence restrictions, you often have a day where you cannot take any breaks and a very short lunch. They will enroll anyone, even people who don't have computer access and that is shady because this is an online university! They will enroll people with borderline dementia or vets suffering from PTSD because they don't know what they are doing. They recently had a company picnic and originally they required advisors to use paid time off if they wanted to attend but changed their minds because nobody wanted to go. They recently lost a number of long time managers and advisors who could no longer deal with the way upper management was responding to industry challenges. With a few exceptions, the quality of people working there has changed for the worse.

Start all over again. Form a working group with advisors to try to fix the problems. Don't fill these working groups with "yes" men like you usually do. Include people who are vocal and articulate

Chewed Up and Spit Out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits were truly competitive. Some of the NON-management folks were also wonderful to work with.

Cons

Leadership falls on a spectrum that includes cowards, "yes-people," and passive-aggressive blowhards who feel that they are untouchable. The recent dissolution and reconstruction of the Academic Affairs department (hereafter AA) is proof positive that everyone, both hard workers and loafers, are expendable.

Last year, some members of Academic Affairs were barred from teaching because of some perceived "exposure," which was never properly explained. This put the aforementioned AA team members in a financial tailspin, as a source of their income was inexplicably taken away. Unfortunately, the previous Vice Provost, the one who was at the helm of that decision, went on a medical leave of absence in October 2013 and passed away in April 2014, and the Interim Vice Provost, who had a pattern of making haphazard decisions only to forget that they made them or recklessly reverse them, did no better in explaining this "exposure." Anyway, shortly after the teaching assignments were taken away, other members of AA were shoved onto another team with no real training. Fast forward seven months later, almost the entire department was fired (though the higher-ups who wouldn't know their heads from a hole in the wall called it "rightsizing") and made to apply for the jobs from which they were fired.

Work-life balance is practically nonexistent. No consideration was given to people who had long commutes and traveled through, almost literally, hell and high water to get to work. Telecommuting was taken away because of a bogus "business need," which was also never explained. Oh, and although the people who were placed on the aforementioned other team within AA were given a salary bump, they also went from non-exempt to exempt status, which means that they would not be overtime eligible - basically, management could (and did) work the hell out of the team without having to pay them an extra penny.

As of 07/05/2014, the department still has not filled all of the vacant positions, and, according to an insider, it is scrambling to unscrew what was screwed up.

Listen to your front-line workers instead of trying to dictate what you feel is the best decision, considering that you aren't in the thick of things. When making decisions, think things through thoroughly so that you don't have to reverse or regret your decisions. Praise your employees instead of constantly telling them what they have done wrong - don't burn bridges.

Can't wait to quit

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Semi-relaxed atmosphere but also a con

Cons

I feel dirty working here when the majority of the "students" aren't actually here for an education but are more interested in getting stipends. The worst part is, we don't care if they want an education anyway, the company is way too concerned with making a profit. There is no room to grow, we are constantly given more and more work to do which don't actually fall in my job description at all and the metrics to hit are unreasonable. Not to mention each department is given metrics that go against other departments. They take advantage of the poorly educated, some borderline mentally handicapped and push them through. At this point I'm disgusted with what I do on a daily basis because the majority of the students will never obtain a degree and don't ever plan on holding a job. They consider stipends as "payment" and constantly harass financial aid about getting their money then drop out once the stipend pays. Other than that the hours are terrible especially for anyone with a family. Do not go on FMLA, everyone I know who has taken FMLA then has a target on their back and is gone soon after. The management preaches integrity and ethics when the company doesn't seem to have either.

Treat your employees better and for goodness sakes stop taking advantage of your students and stop blaming your employees for your "poor start numbers and retention rate." It is not our fault the school will enroll literally anyone and has ZERO standards for the people attending.

Horrible Management and low morale

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive I can say about AIU.

Cons

If I could give less than one star, I would. The Academic Affairs department at AIU is completely dysfunctional. The management is incompetent and displays favoritism on a regular basis. Managers treat employees very poorly. They demean and treat staff as though they are children being scolded for everything they do. There is no positive recognition. Instead, management writes everyone up for bogus reasons. The management bullies staff and places the blame for their mistakes on the hardworking employees. The entire department was laid off in April 2014 and were all told to reapply for the same exact jobs they were already doing. Very few were hired back on. Those in leadership roles treat the employees in a disrespectful manner and ignore the needs of the department for their own selfish gain. They display inappropriate and unethical behavior yet aren't held accountable for their actions, even when HR is notified of the situation.

Aside from that, the workload is extremely intense and staff isn't adequately conpensated. There is a huge distinction between hourly and salaried employees. Hourly staff are required to use a web clock to punch in and out to account for their time. Yet another way they treated us as children. Does Big Brother really distrust the staff so much that they have to punch in and out each day? And why are salaried folks not required to be accountable for their hours? There was even a communication that went out to staff during the sub-zero temperatures during winter months stating that salaried employees could work from home those days but hourly staff either had to come in or use personal time. How is it ethical to give special treatment to one type of employee versus another? Horrible place to work!!

Get rid of senior managers in Academic Affairs and listen to the staff who are the ones doing all the work, and for god's sake get rid of the web clock!!! We're all adults!!

American Intercontinental University Photos