American Intercontinental University
www.aiuniv.edu Atlanta, GA 150 to 499 Employees

American Intercontinental University Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
American Intercontinental University – Chicago – “boring office”

American Intercontinental University President Dr. George Miller

Dr. George Miller

Pros:
  • "They gave me an opportunity to learn basic office skills and meet some great people"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Opportunity to learn, the teachers and the students"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "huge revolving door; almost as if they didn't want employees there for too long"
    in 6 reviews
  • "It a sales call center, not really a school, owned by a huge corporation"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Campus Director of Admissions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat compensation excellent staff and support from managers. The Culture has drastically changed in the past few years.

ConsLack of growth beyond Campus Director. The rumor-mill runs wild don't buy into everything you hear. If you need clarity ask your manager they are pretty transparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current lean management structure is not the answer. Until this changes good advisors will get burnt out.

Former Instructor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnline, and relatively easy start up process

ConsFelt grimey. Students werent prepared for college but were accepted anyway. I fell like the military students may be taken advantage job. Despite the good pay and easy work, I quit.

Chewed Up and Spit Out

Schaumburg, IL

ProsSalary and benefits were truly competitive. Some of the NON-management folks were also wonderful to work with.

ConsLeadership falls on a spectrum that includes cowards, "yes-people," and passive-aggressive blowhards who feel that they are untouchable. The recent dissolution and reconstruction of the Academic Affairs department (hereafter AA) is proof positive that everyone, both hard workers and loafers, are expendable.

Last year, some members of Academic Affairs were barred from teaching because of some perceived "exposure," which was never properly explained. This put the aforementioned AA team members in a financial tailspin, as a source of their income was inexplicably taken away. Unfortunately, the previous Vice Provost, the one who was at the helm of that decision, went on a medical leave of absence in October 2013 and passed away in April 2014, and the Interim Vice Provost, who had a pattern of making haphazard decisions only to forget that they made them or recklessly reverse them, did no better in explaining this "exposure." Anyway, shortly after the teaching assignments were taken away, other members of AA were shoved onto another team with no real training. Fast forward seven months later, almost the entire department was fired (though the higher-ups who wouldn't know their heads from a hole in the wall called it "rightsizing") and made to apply for the jobs from which they were fired.

Work-life balance is practically nonexistent. No consideration was given to people who had long commutes and traveled through, almost literally, hell and high water to get to work. Telecommuting was taken away because of a bogus "business need," which was also never explained. Oh, and although the people who were placed on the aforementioned other team within AA were given a salary bump, they also went from non-exempt to exempt status, which means that they would not be overtime eligible - basically, management could (and did) work the hell out of the team without having to pay them an extra penny.

As of 07/05/2014, the department still has not filled all of the vacant positions, and, according to an insider, it is scrambling to unscrew what was screwed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front-line workers instead of trying to dictate what you feel is the best decision, considering that you aren't in the thick of things. When making decisions, think things through thoroughly so that you don't have to reverse or regret your decisions. Praise your employees instead of constantly telling them what they have done wrong - don't burn bridges.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't wait to quit

Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsSemi-relaxed atmosphere but also a con

ConsI feel dirty working here when the majority of the "students" aren't actually here for an education but are more interested in getting stipends. The worst part is, we don't care if they want an education anyway, the company is way too concerned with making a profit. There is no room to grow, we are constantly given more and more work to do which don't actually fall in my job description at all and the metrics to hit are unreasonable. Not to mention each department is given metrics that go against other departments. They take advantage of the poorly educated, some borderline mentally handicapped and push them through. At this point I'm disgusted with what I do on a daily basis because the majority of the students will never obtain a degree and don't ever plan on holding a job. They consider stipends as "payment" and constantly harass financial aid about getting their money then drop out once the stipend pays. Other than that the hours are terrible especially for anyone with a family. Do not go on FMLA, everyone I know who has taken FMLA then has a target on their back and is gone soon after. The management preaches integrity and ethics when the company doesn't seem to have either.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and for goodness sakes stop taking advantage of your students and stop blaming your employees for your "poor start numbers and retention rate." It is not our fault the school will enroll literally anyone and has ZERO standards for the people attending.

Horrible Management and low morale

(Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsThere is nothing positive I can say about AIU.

ConsIf I could give less than one star, I would. The Academic Affairs department at AIU is completely dysfunctional. The management is incompetent and displays favoritism on a regular basis. Managers treat employees very poorly. They demean and treat staff as though they are children being scolded for everything they do. There is no positive recognition. Instead, management writes everyone up for bogus reasons. The management bullies staff and places the blame for their mistakes on the hardworking employees. The entire department was laid off in April 2014 and were all told to reapply for the same exact jobs they were already doing. Very few were hired back on. Those in leadership roles treat the employees in a disrespectful manner and ignore the needs of the department for their own selfish gain. They display inappropriate and unethical behavior yet aren't held accountable for their actions, even when HR is notified of the situation.

Aside from that, the workload is extremely intense and staff isn't adequately conpensated. There is a huge distinction between hourly and salaried employees. Hourly staff are required to use a web clock to punch in and out to account for their time. Yet another way they treated us as children. Does Big Brother really distrust the staff so much that they have to punch in and out each day? And why are salaried folks not required to be accountable for their hours? There was even a communication that went out to staff during the sub-zero temperatures during winter months stating that salaried employees could work from home those days but hourly staff either had to come in or use personal time. How is it ethical to give special treatment to one type of employee versus another? Horrible place to work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of senior managers in Academic Affairs and listen to the staff who are the ones doing all the work, and for god's sake get rid of the web clock!!! We're all adults!!

Poor Training and Bad Work Politics

ProsSmall school, friendly staff, friendly students.

ConsPoor management, horrible working hours.

Decent Entry Level Position

National Admission Advisor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCo-workers are friendly. Assisting potential students change their lives is rewarding.

ConsLack of growth, pure sales position without the benefit of earning bonuses. More of a management led position, no real leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to incorporate leadership skills and stop managing employees by fear.

Do not work for

Admission AAdmission (Former Employee)
    North Chicago, IL

ProsPays well, fun co-workers, easy to get hired.

ConsWill get fired if you don't hit your enrollment numbers. However it is no way you can force someone to go to college

Good and bad...just like most

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAIU Online was an okay place to work for...initially. I started in the student advising area (which was great). I had the opportunity to learn A LOT and was excited, even though I disagreed with the whole for-profit idea of education.

ConsManagement is promoted based upon favoritism...across all levels of the organization; if you're in good with the higher ups, you're likely to get promoted regardless of how well you're doing in your current position. My former manager was a prime example of this.

Great company to work for, and a good stepping off point for your career

Career Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat coworkers, there is opportunity for advancement, and the benefits and pay are decent. This is a great company to work for if you have a family. They are good about taking time off and you are always able to check the status through the online portal. Departments are friendly and good about making sure you are rewarded for good performance (department outings are common). Good company culture and reasonable low turnover rate.

ConsDepending on the department you are in, the job can be very high-pressure. You will have to deal with rude students from time to time. There is a lot of regulatory pressure as well, so some departments will go through rounds of layoffs. It is a for-profit college, so sometimes the focus is less on the students and more on making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on creating a good academic program and continue to reward your employees for their successes. It can be disheartening to constantly change strategies due to regulatory pressure.

Worked for American Intercontinental University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Intercontinental University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Intercontinental University CEO Dr. George Miller . All 66 reviews posted anonymously by American Intercontinental University employees.