American Intercontinental University

Updated January 23, 2015
2.4

American Intercontinental University President Dr. George Miller
Dr. George Miller

Pros
  • They gave me an opportunity to learn basic office skills and meet some great people (in 5 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to learn A LOT and was excited, even though I disagreed with the whole for-profit idea of education (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • huge revolving door; almost as if they didn't want employees there for too long (in 6 reviews)

• Very high turnover and terrible rotating schedules (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at American Intercontinental University

Pros

Flexibility is one of key benefit.

Cons

Micromanaged teaching evaluation systems are hard to handle.

AIU

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at American Intercontinental University

Pros

AIU is a good learning experience.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate.

Cut-Throat, no job security, impersonal atmosphere

I worked at American Intercontinental University

Pros

Pay and benefits were both excellent for a new college graduate. Good job if you're great at sales and want to be in a cold-calling sales environment.

Cons

The whole time I worked there I was treated like a number. What's worse, the students are treated like numbers. I was encouraged to use what I deemed to be predatory tactics to get students that would most likely fail out of school with massive debt. The focus was on enrolling as many as possible. The graduation rate and success of the students did not matter.

As an admissions advisor, I was always on the chopping block. Almost everyone I knew there was eventually fired. I managed to find another employer before being fired. I took a 30% pay cut (happily) to get a different job.

Good Money, Very Competitive

Former Employee - National Admission Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - National Admission Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Intercontinental University

Pros

Good Money. You get to form great friendships and even relationships for a lot of people that I met while working there

Cons

It is definitely a sales environment.

Stop being so political

AIU Online Admissions Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, excellent training.

Cons

Sales driven. Students are not screened for academic capabilities just enrolled. High turnover for Admissions Advisors, job is quota driven, if you dont make quota every month you dont stay long. No job security.

Good Entry Level Sales Position

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Beaverton, OR

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Their admissions positions pay well and are a good opportunity to improve your sales skills. For someone looking to go into sales it is a good entry level position. There are tuition reimbursements should you want to pursue higher education through AIU, which is also a plus.

Cons

The office has an extremely high turnover rate, as employees who cannot consistently meet sales goals will be let go. There is also very little freedom/flexibility with the work schedule, as they map out your entire day for you as an admissions adviser.

A very challenging place to work, and not in a good way.

Current Employee - Student Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Student Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, especially for a family.

Cons

Leadership changes consistenly, promotions are based are not based on merit or experience. The values that they say they have are excellent, too bad it does not seem like they actually practice it. The treat the employees like robots constantly adding more and more work, then wondering why it can't all get done. Some postions have one person doing the job or 3 or 4. Terrible work/life balance. You are exhaused by the time you get home from work everyday.

They really need to start valuing their employees. Stop treating people like robots.

Not What It Once Was...

Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first & at other times, very optimistic and enthusiastic about the work - the students, the institution, the company and the challenges the job presented.

401K and other benefits were offered and acceptable.

Cons

- Office politics dictated your career. Favoritism, nepotism, etc., all factored into elements of one's professional standing.
    - No motivation or encouragement for growth, promotion, productivity, etc.
    - Regularly dealt with students/clients whom were using the institution for the financial aid with no intention of earning an education
    - Proprietary Online Education is under fire at the highest levels; enrollments are dropping and thus, companies/institutions are tightening their belts - job security is not what it was 5-6 years ago

Dissapointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Small school so you get to know everyone you work with. Management is generally nice and are understanding when you make small errors.

Cons

Managers play favorites, especially campus president. This comes in to play a lot in hiring decisions, many times external candidates are hired only because they know the president. The whole school suffers because of this. Positions which should go to the most qualified candidate are instead given to friends etc.

School almost always has budget problems which lead to no yearly bonuses, hiring freezes, and increased pressure on employees. A lot of the staff is unprofessional and many times will make snide remarks even in front of students. Hostile coworkers sometimes don't face consequences for their actions.

Take some time and actually look at how you are perceived by your staff, students, and peers. Stop giving jobs away to your friends. For the management in Schaumburg, take some time and study what is going on at your schools so you can find out why many people leave their jobs after working for only a few months.

Adimmisions advisor

Former Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Intercontinental University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits; medical, dental, 401k. Lots of great co-workers in a mass cubicle environment. Room to move up if you can play the corporate game. Make a positive impact on peoples lives by helping them achieve educational goals. Good perks for employees to further their own education.

Cons

Not for everyone. High volume phone sales environment with monthly quotas and no chance for commission. Part of a collapsing industry and HIGHLY regulated. Must read from scripts and risk termination by saying specific "don'ts". Can be a stressful environment. Very high turnover and terrible rotating schedules.

Get a few years of experience and move to something better...everyone else does.

American Intercontinental University Photos